Canon EOS 5D Mark IV & 5DS Talk [CR2]

Re: Canon EOS 5D Mark IV & 5DS Talk [CR2]

CanonFanBoy said:
Rupp1 said:
suburbia said:
jeffa4444 said:
As a 5DS owner since October I would be Pi**ed off if a. they replaced the 5DS / 5DSr that quickly and b. if they dropped the 5DS not everyone wants to risk Moire. The cameras are £ 2999 / £ 3100 customers deserve some lifespan.

They are not going to cancel your camera!

You know what, I think I'd be pissed too if the 5DS/DS-R got replaced next year. It would mean that the current models were developed while their successors were almost at the production stage. Making money is great, but alienating your best customers is never a great idea. If it happens, I'd like to see an exchange offer for $500 or less. Yeah, yeah, I know, keep dreaming.

Aren't Canon's best customers the 1DX owners with loads of L glass? I'm not trying to be a smart alec.

Honestly, it is my guess (and only my guess) that the Rebel owners are Canon's best customers. Nice inexpensive DSLRs (for the masses) with very low manufacturing costs, with probably a much higher profit margin and fantastically higher sales volume. At high school sports events they are everywhere. Even the teenagers are running around with them.

Dummy me, I went through 2 Rebels (XSi, T5i), mountains of EFs lenses, then went to my 70D (which I really like) and finally the 5D Mark III and all L glass except for the stm lens that came with the T5i.

I remember buying the XSi kit at Costco and thinking to myself that I had a real luxury item and could never imagine buying anything else. It really seemed like a lot of money for a camera. My wife was pissed! She almost never gets angry, but she was over that little XSi.

My point is this: For about four years you could say I was one of Canon's best customers. Unless I win the lottery I won't be getting the 400, 600, or 800 great whites (I would dearly love to get those. At least the 600) I won't be getting the other 8 / 600EX-RT speedlites I want either (Just to say I did and watch my sweet wife roll her eyes at me).

The only things I could imagine upgrading at this point is a new body every 6 or 7 years. That makes me a nearly used up customer. :) Me upgrading a body every 6 or 7 years means little to Canon in the grand scheme of things. It was getting me to this point that meant something to them. Mission accomplished.

If I am happy with the camera body I have I don't care if Canon brings out something better the next week. For me, skipping a generation or two on a body makes a lot of sense to me right now.

It is the glass I really care about. Except for not having the Great Whites... I am very happy where I am. I truly am blessed to have what I have. Got it all before career ending injuries got me last year. Couldn't even get a nifty 50 right now if I wanted one. But I am happy and that is a nice place to be. I get to hug and kiss my sweet wife of 34 years every day.

I can make some pretty darn good photos with what I have. Upgrading bodies every 4 years won't change that. :) Be happy you have what you have. That next upgrade might not be in your future. I live on $990 a month now. I'm lucky to keep the lights on every month. Thankfully the internet is included in the rent.

My challenge is going to be trying to turn my hobby into a money maker. I've got to do that with what I already have and the soccer moms with their Rebels are brutal ($35 for a shoot and disk of photos?). Got to carve out a niche that they are not covering. :) (And no... I will not do weddings!) I think there is a niche for fine art portraits in the area. Soccer mom's can hardly compete with that.

Still, when new gear comes out... dreaming is very nice. :D

Actually, I would love 2 more Flashpoint Streaklights. They are real nice. I mean REAL NICE. I'd trade two 600EX-RTs (Maybe three) for two of those... even steven.

Thanks for sharing your perspective.

I am humbled by your positivity ... you inspire the rest of us. Being grateful is the first step to being content.

I hope you get lots of work, taking great shots. :)

Upvote 0

dilbert said:
Rupp1 said:
You know what, I think I'd be pissed too if the 5DS/DS-R got replaced next year. It would mean that the current models were developed while their successors were almost at the production stage. Making money is great, but alienating your best customers is never a great idea. If it happens, I'd like to see an exchange offer for $500 or less. Yeah, yeah, I know, keep dreaming.

It would mean that the current models were rushed to market because Canon was suffering due to not having a high megapixel (>22) camera.

That's what I think... they didn't want to become irrelevant to new buyers who are getting excited by the sparkle of innovation in those other non-canon companies. Canon IS after all in the business of making money, and any customer it can get hooked is a revenue stream.

My guess is, they did not have the ADC on Die process ready, and the 5D3 being a bit long in the tooth and lower res than the other bodies (that shall remain nameless), decided to do a stop gap, and did a pretty good Job overall....

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011

K-amps said:
Maiaibing said:
K-amps said:
Are we still on for a "relatively quick" update on the 5Ds ?

? We are in 2016 not 2020

There was mention that this might happen, personally I think it should. If Canon has put the ADC on Die... and it does provide the 'latitude' they claim (another veiled reference in the 80D, about new miniaturization process) then they could kick start the 5 series this year, with a new 5d4 all-rounder (D750 killer) and 5Ds Hi-Rez Hi DR Landscape body plus an updated 7Dii to combat the D500. They can be called the 5D4, the 5DSn and the 7Diin.... in proper Canon Tradition....
I would like that although I do not consider it likely. But I believe Canon will be forced to release new updates in much less than 4 years (between releases).

Upvote 0

brianb said:
There has been nothing mentioned about the 5D4 for a while now.

Will we see an announcement this quarter?

I wish I knew, so I could make a decision on what to purchase.

I posted this in another topic but if I had to guess I'd say sometime this summer some definitive details will emerge. Release dates are getting spread out further and further though.

Camera = Announced

1DXII = 2/1/2016
5D4 = ?

1DX = 10/18/2011
5D3 = 3/2/2012

1D4 = 10/20/2009
5D2 = 9/17/2008

1D3 = 2/21/2007
5D = 8/22/2005

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011

time123 said:
brianb said:
There has been nothing mentioned about the 5D4 for a while now.

Will we see an announcement this quarter?

I wish I knew, so I could make a decision on what to purchase.

I posted this in another topic but if I had to guess I'd say sometime this summer some definitive details will emerge. Release dates are getting spread out further and further though.

Camera = Announced

1DXII = 2/1/2016
5D4 = ?

1DX = 10/18/2011
5D3 = 3/2/2012

1D4 = 10/20/2009
5D2 = 9/17/2008

1D3 = 2/21/2007
5D = 8/22/2005
Hmmm, lets see:

5D -> 5D2 3 years
5D2-> 5D3 3.5 years
5D3-> 5D4 4 years? ? ? ? ? ? (I hope!) :)

Upvote 0