Canon EOS 6D Announcement Soon? [CR1]

Status
Not open for further replies.
t.linn said:
It is certainly capable of capturing beautiful images but compared to the state-of-the-art Sony sensors Nikon is using it lags behind, particularly in terms of DR. In fact, if you look at the capabilities of the sensor in the 5D3—and I write this as a largely satisfied 5D3 owner—Canon appears to have made absolutely no progress in this area of sensor development.

Yes and No for me.
I know current Sony is making great sensors. However, most people should be satisfied by current 5D3 even 5D2 sensors. How many of your friends really you lightroom around you? For me, not many. For some PROs, DR might be a plus, but just might. For me, a normal user taking photos for my family, better DR doesn't really bring much benefit for me. Personally, higher MP is more important than DR for future use. my 2 cents.

Upvote 0
I so hope this is true... Been quite content with my 7D and 1D3 for a couple of years now. Actually, complacent. When I saw Nikon's D600 rumors, I got fired up. ...even though I've always been a Canon guy, film days. At $1500 price for a FF... I would consider using both systems. Then I saw the Nikkor lens prices, would hate to buy new glass, even one good lens would cost $1500+. So, I'm praying that Canon has a answer to the D600.

The 5D2 is not a option with it's AF, and the 5D3 is just too expensive to justify.

Come on Canon, get my photographic juices flowing again!

John

Upvote 0
jfretless said:
I so hope this is true... Been quite content with my 7D and 1D3 for a couple of years now. Actually, complacent. When I saw Nikon's D600 rumors, I got fired up. ...even though I've always been a Canon guy, film days. At $1500 price for a FF... I would consider using both systems. Then I saw the Nikkor lens prices, would hate to buy new glass, even one good lens would cost $1500+. So, I'm praying that Canon has a answer to the D600.

The 5D2 is not a option with it's AF, and the 5D3 is just too expensive to justify.

Come on Canon, get my photographic juices flowing again!

John

That pretty much applies to me as well. I've had a T2i for about 2 years now and I'm looking for an upgrade. The only L glass I have is the 24-70 v1 and had considered switching to Nikon if their D600 is awesome... but the price of their glass would put me back at square one with kit lenses for a while.

Cmon Canon!

Upvote 0
Seriously, does anyone believe in 6D? All of these have been anonymous web "tips", aka wishful thinking. Canon will not release a cheap FF until either 5D3 sales stop, or Nikon officially releases and proves that cheap FF will take off enough to make money.

There will be no 3D, 6D, or even 7D2 anytime soon. Canon, is done with 1DX, 5D3, 7D, and a bunch of rebels for 2012. Their sales have been successful with those... why bother when all you have to do is release a second rate sensor and everybody starts drooling all over.

Upvote 0

Marsu42

Canon Pride.
Feb 7, 2012
Berlin
der-tierfotograf.de
poias said:
Seriously, does anyone believe in 6D? All of these have been anonymous web "tips", aka wishful thinking. Canon will not release a cheap FF until either 5D3 sales stop, or Nikon officially releases and proves that cheap FF will take off enough to make money.

Canon might very well preempt Nikon this time, and after all they named the 5d3 as it is because it replaces the 5d2 and not because they'll produce the predecessor forever.

The simple fact is that the pressure from below (all the aps-c with the current 18mp sensor) is building up, so Canon has to do something in the $2000 region. They cannot come up with an really improved aps-c sensor, that's why they released the hyped 7d firmware update to keep it alive. So they have to do something in the 5d2 ff region or lower the 5d3 price significantly - unfortunately, the latter is unlikely.

For me, the only question is how dumbed-down a 6d will be - plastic body, much less customizations, no c on the dial, no afma :-> ?

Upvote 0
poias said:

There will be no 3D, 6D, or even 7D2 anytime soon. Canon, is done with 1DX, 5D3, 7D, and a bunch of rebels for 2012. Their sales have been successful with those... why bother when all you have to do is release a second rate sensor and everybody starts drooling all over.

I love seeing posts like this, that we can think back at and laugh at when the camera does come out. People said the same thing about the 7D when it was speculated. "How will it fit in the line up when the line up is already (as assumed previously) doing fine?" Well, obviously it isn't doing fine. There's definitely room between the 5D III and the 7D especially after Canon decided to dramatically up the AF and build specs in the 5D line. (Funny how so many people asked for it, said they'd pay for it, and now that it's here they say it's overpriced) After the "uproar" of this price increase, and the "uproar" from the Nikon side actually complaining about too many megapixels in the D800 (not everyone wants more megapixels, for example event shooters that shoot up to 5k+ photos a day don't want to deal with it or simply don't want/need it) So I am confident Nikon will pull through with their cheaper full frame body. In order for Canon to stay in the game, they need to pull a new product in as well. They did the same thing with xxxD bodies to compete with Nikon's lower end crap for people who have no thumbs and a shallow learning curve. Nikon had the right idea there, and the sales prove it. Nikon did similar improvements to the automatic features up the line and now you have all these Nikon users saying look ma, I can shoot. (my favorite excuse is when they say they spend less time fiddling with settings and more time taking great photos which we all know was never really an issue in the past for pro photographers) More and more people want DSLRs, and even more of those people don't care for a professional opinion. They just want to take great photos with less effort. This market is way bigger than the professional market. Now, we go further up the line and see the market of people who are shooting crop (including the thumbless padawans) and want to upgrade to full frame. Or even full frame users who need a backup body, but don't want a crop. It makes a lot more sense than you think. It wouldn't kill Canon to make a frankencamera out of 5D II's sensor and 7D's AF system and price it much lower than the 5D III.

Upvote 0
i'd vote for an articulated screen insted of touchscreen which is completly useless!!!!

a better sensor would be nice, but i doubt this new camera will have a better sensor than 5D 3.
a newer AF system is needed though from 5D 2

However reading the specs, this camera has completly no cost in developing something new.

- sensor taken from 5D 3 (best case scenario)
- AF taken from 7D
- touchscreen from 650D (and i really hope its a vari angle too, a vari angle screen in an FF camera is something i'd pay for instantly, doesn't matter the build quality)

canon re-sells parts which already sold and sell.
easy profit for canon, and i suppose it will come after nikons D600 probably seen in photokina this month!!

Upvote 0
Okay, my first reaction is to kick myself for upgrading my 50D to a 5D2. Then I calm down and realize I have never been an early adopter and that means if this new FF camera is announced, it's availability will be at least 3 months up to a year in the future. If I wait my usual 6-12 months for the bugs to get ironed out, then it can be anywhere from 9 to 24 months from now. Meanwhile, I have missed photo ops with a FF camera for that long. What I need for my next upgrade is to pump up my fps shooting rate for sports. That upgrade is available now if I can score a used or refurbed 1D4 to replace my 7D.

I got my refurb 5D2 for $1583 and the best price for a 5D3 is $2799-3199. The feature upgrade of the 5D3 was not worth $1200-1600. Snap up the 5D2 while you can get them new or refurb for $1583 (CLP) or $1846 with an authorized dealer while you can. Waiting means a lot of missed photos.....

Upvote 0
t.linn said:
If these specs are accurate and if this is priced aggressively, this body would absolutely destroy the resale value of the 5D2. Of course, I'm assuming that Canon isn't omitting some major feature (like video) that is available in the 5D2.

Maybe, maybe not. To me this translates into "5DII with a plastic body with pretend-iPhone screen" - at which point I would consider my 5DII more valuable to me and I'd be tempted to get a second body while they are still around (when what I really want is a 1DsIII...).

I don't care about an upgraded AF system. The one in the 5DII is good enough for me and I like the quality of body and sensor as is. I haven't seen a reason yet to upgrade to the 5dIII (though it is extremely nice of course) and anything that came with more plastic and consumer grade "features" would be a downgrade. Which makes sense from a marketing strategy. I bet a lot of folks are still buying the MarkII for exactly that reason. If the only choices are something like this "6D" and the Mark III then, yes, people like me would be more interested in the Mark III.

Upvote 0
Canon Inc. cannot launch an entirely new xD model in 2012 with a 2008 sensor coupled with a 2009 AF plus a gimmicky screen in a plastic body (lower build quality than say a 7D) -> they'd be laughed at, unless it was super-cheap for a FF body, but then why would it have an xD name for that would just devalue the branding at a time when Canon are charging top whack for Pro& Semi-pro gear? ???

Upvote 0

Richard8971

"There is no spoon" - Neo
Oct 4, 2011
Tucson, AZ
www.Oldpueblophotos.com
I have spoken to a few friends who own the 5D3 and while it is a wonderful camera, they are still torn between it and the 5D2. Like most cameras, even though the 5D3 was meant to be a replacement/upgrade to the 5D2, there are still some things the 5D2 does better, or just as well.

If the 6D does come out and it has a lower build quality than the 5D3, I would say stick with the 5D2. They are going to continue to drop in price new and used. I love my 5D2, it takes amazing photos. Honestly, the $3400 for the 5D3 is keeping me from "upgrading". That's way more money than I want to spend considering I have a 21mp FF camera at the ready. It will be interesting to see what Canon considers as a "replacement" for the 5D2. I still believe an affordable FF body is needed and the 5D2 could use some upgrades, but will the upgrades be worth the price if you already have a 5D2???

D

Upvote 0
poias said:
Seriously, does anyone believe in 6D?

Well, yes and no.

The 5DII will go out of production eventually (it's now 4 years old).
When that happens, what is Canon going to do?

Keep offering the 5DIII at $3500 as the only 'affordable' FF option ??? .
Drop the 5DIII price to $2000 - same as the 5DII now?

Both are quite unlikely to happen in the next two years.

So, Canon will have to offer a new $2K FF camera after the 5DII gets discontinued.
They will have no choice, after Nikon announces the D600 next week (for $1800 - my prediction).

The thing is, this entry level FF camera will not be called the 6D and will not be announced this year.
So, this current rumor is of very low quality - even though the specs sound about right.

Upvote 0
Richard8971 said:
I have spoken to a few friends who own the 5D3 and while it is a wonderful camera, they are still torn between it and the 5D2. Like most cameras, even though the 5D3 was meant to be a replacement/upgrade to the 5D2, there are still some things the 5D2 does better, or just as well.

If the 6D does come out and it has a lower build quality than the 5D3, I would say stick with the 5D2. They are going to continue to drop in price new and used. I love my 5D2, it takes amazing photos. Honestly, the $3400 for the 5D3 is keeping me from "upgrading". That's way more money than I want to spend considering I have a 21mp FF camera at the ready. It will be interesting to see what Canon considers as a "replacement" for the 5D2. I still believe an affordable FF body is needed and the 5D2 could use some upgrades, but will the upgrades be worth the price if you already have a 5D2???

D

Not to get off topic, but I owned the 5D Mark II and now have a 5D Mark III. Excactly what does the 5D2 do better? I cannot possibly think of ONE thing it does better.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
bdunbar79 said:
Not to get off topic, but I owned the 5D Mark II and now have a 5D Mark III. Excactly what does the 5D2 do better? I cannot possibly think of ONE thing it does better.
I've had both, and I can see the AF points in very low light with the 5D MK II, but not the MK III. That is a biggie for some, who like to know where they are focusing, otherwise, the 5D MK III is a better camera.

Upvote 0
Mt Spokane Photography said:
bdunbar79 said:
I've had both, and I can see the AF points in very low light with the 5D MK II, but not the MK III. That is a biggie for some, who like to know where they are focusing, otherwise, the 5D MK III is a better camera.

Oh yes, I do remember the red AF points. You know, I guess I do miss that.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.