Canon EOS 6D Announcement Soon? [CR1]

Status
Not open for further replies.
mitch.o said:
I will pre-order this camera if it's better than the 5d mkii and not too much more expensive. If not... I'll just shop around for a used mkii and live with the AF system.

I have thoroughly enjoyed my 5DII. If you are not primarily shooting sports or birds, you won't have a problem with it.

Upvote 0

SiliconVoid

Freelance (film days) - Digital Enthusiast
Apr 6, 2011
verysimplejason said:
I would love a better sensor (DR comparable to sony sensors), articulated screen (instead of touchscreen) and in a 7D body. I guess I'll sit this out again. I'll just go for lenses again. :(

Please...
The D800 (reputed to be Sony's best sensor to date) only has higher DR at two ISO settings and only at a huge downsample ratio throwing away ~75% of its pixels, and even then that is only if you believe DxO represents the sole source of empirical data.
DPReview shows the base sensor performance of the 5DmkIII has the greater DR range than the 36mp Sony sensor.
Personally I would rather have greater performance in hand and in the field than on paper under an extremely narrow set of parameters...

Upvote 0
Jan 30, 2012
Waleed Essam said:
I highly doubt this rumor, I believe if there will be a 6D entry level FF priced @ 1999 USD then it will the same 5DII body but with the 5DIII sensor, that's it. Maybe a few more bells and whistles but not much improvement than the current 5DII body.

The 7D AF. that is the single reason worth to upgrade from 5D2. The 5D2 AF is the single reason that make me wait to see what canon come up with.

If the price tag will be around $2000 i will definitely buy one.

Upvote 0
1. It's sad to see that many people are ready to settle for the 5D Mark II sensor, which is around 4 years old...
2. It's a lot more sad to see that not so many people are sick of Canon using the same/similar sensors for all cameras and their 'mix & match' strategy.

I don't know about the numbering myths, such as even & odd numbers in high-end product names but, if the rumored 6D - or whatever - is real, I'm sure even Canon isn't stupid enough to release it with 5D Mark II's sensor, which is totally NOT fine!

If 5d Mark III is really worth $3500, then the D800 is definitely worth more that $3000. So it's pretty clear to me that with lower profit margin, Nikon is trying to win back some market share and in the light of this, I see no reason for the rumored D600 to cost more than $2000. Will/Can Canon position the rumored 6D at around $2000? I doubt that...

If Canon don't radically change their strategies pretty soon, I believe we won't see any products to excite the masses like the 5D Mark II did. It'll always be customers on both sides of the satisfaction line and that will only help Nikon gain market share - which I don't care a bit but Canon should.

Upvote 0
M.ST said:
I don´t want or need a 6D. Not very interesting for me.

Whew! Thanks for responding to this information M.ST - I was at work today and I saw this news come out, the first thing I thought was "man, I wonder if this is something M.ST would be interested in".

Glad you calmed my nerves by answering that burning question that was on my (and I'm sure alot of others) mind.

;)

Upvote 0
This looks like a great replacement of the 5D Mark II, as long as it has the same price. To me, it seemed that the 5D2 was one of the most wanted cameras, until February 2012. Some people seem to have forgotten this and dismiss it as old tech. It’s still better than most cameras out there, in terms of IQ, especially combined with proper Canon-glass. As an owner of the 5D2 who mostly shoot landscapes, I don’t feel like I need an immediate update. I can wait a couple of years, but the rumored specs seem ideal for those who are in the market for their first FF.

By the way, if they do release this camera at a reasonable price point, they must release a 7D2 soon as well, right? I mean, the sensor certainly is a step up from the 7D, and if it has the same AF... why would you buy 7D? (To use EF-s? Extra reach? I would rather have FF).

Upvote 0
bdunbar79 said:
Richard8971 said:
I have spoken to a few friends who own the 5D3 and while it is a wonderful camera, they are still torn between it and the 5D2. Like most cameras, even though the 5D3 was meant to be a replacement/upgrade to the 5D2, there are still some things the 5D2 does better, or just as well.

If the 6D does come out and it has a lower build quality than the 5D3, I would say stick with the 5D2. They are going to continue to drop in price new and used. I love my 5D2, it takes amazing photos. Honestly, the $3400 for the 5D3 is keeping me from "upgrading". That's way more money than I want to spend considering I have a 21mp FF camera at the ready. It will be interesting to see what Canon considers as a "replacement" for the 5D2. I still believe an affordable FF body is needed and the 5D2 could use some upgrades, but will the upgrades be worth the price if you already have a 5D2???

D

Not to get off topic, but I owned the 5D Mark II and now have a 5D Mark III. Excactly what does the 5D2 do better? I cannot possibly think of ONE thing it does better.

I've heard people say that the 5D2 centre AF point is better than the one on the 5D3, and that the AF works better in low light on the 5D2. Not tried a 5D3 yet myself, so only going on what I heard.

In general, it seems like the new AF system is a lot more complex, and you need to really understand it to get the best results, where as the 5D2 system is pretty straight forward and perfectly capable for wedding photography etc.

Also, the 5D3 sensor is hardly a huge leap forward (in terms of RAW high ISO performance), so there's not a huge benefit in upgrading unless you require the FPS upgrade or the extra AF points.

Let me put it this way, it's a costly upgrade, and as a pro, it can only be justified if it's going to improve my work significantly, which I don't think it will. The new radio flashes seem like a much more useful upgrade TBH.

Upvote 0
Mar 2, 2012
SiliconVoid said:
Please...
The D800 (reputed to be Sony's best sensor to date) only has higher DR at two ISO settings and only at a huge downsample ratio throwing away ~75% of its pixels, and even then that is only if you believe DxO represents the sole source of empirical data.
DPReview shows the base sensor performance of the 5DmkIII has the greater DR range than the 36mp Sony sensor.
Personally I would rather have greater performance in hand and in the field than on paper under an extremely narrow set of parameters...

lots of missinformation here, rent one and see for yourself, there is just no comparison.

SpareImp said:
This looks like a great replacement of the 5D Mark II, as long as it has the same price. To me, it seemed that the 5D2 was one of the most wanted cameras, until February 2012. Some people seem to have forgotten this and dismiss it as old tech. It’s still better than most cameras out there, in terms of IQ, especially combined with proper Canon-glass. As an owner of the 5D2 who mostly shoot landscapes, I don’t feel like I need an immediate update. I can wait a couple of years, but the rumored specs seem ideal for those who are in the market for their first FF.

True, i still use my 5d2 and couldnt be happier although its now 50/50 between it and a d800

Actually a lot of people were expecting a 5d2 with a 7d AF and if it comes at a reasonable price it will be attractive.

What really bothers me is 2 things,
First, that suddenly canon seems to be following nikon and this is also notable in the forums; after the d800 there was /is a surge of post about the imaginary new 40+mp d800killer, and after the leaked d600 imgs a flood about the cheap canon.
Second and most worrying, that if canon responds to d600 with a repackaged 5d2 then, apart from 1dx, the whole dslr line of canon will be comprised by a 4yo old 18mp aps-c & a 4yo old 21mp FF sensor*, and this is rather disheartening.

*in my book 5d3's sensor is just an incremental update to 5d2's one and nowhere near what was expected by the leading company after 4years of R&D :mad:

Upvote 0
I know this is wishful thinking right now, but this camera sounds like Canon could do "a Volkswagen", and just put it together from spare parts in their factories, i.e. cheap to develop, and easy money for Canon.

My wishlist:

FF sensor upscaled from 650d/EOS M (22-24mp?) so we can use STM
AF system from 7D
Body from 60D (yes, plastic/popup flash/articulating screen)
AFMA

I believe this setup would enable price range close to 2k. It would be clearly separated from "PRO" lines. It would also much apply to people like me, that has xxD bodies and wanting to upgrade. Only options today is a 7D or a 5D2 (that does not cost an arm and a leg), both that are several years old by now. This would enable us to buy a brand spanking new camera at an affordable price, that does not DEMAND accessories.

Remember that most "rookies" on FF would like a shallow learning curve, and will probably not buy extra lenses or flashes. At least not to begin with...

Edit: and those of us that upgrade, probably already have extra lenses and flashes...

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.