Canon EOS 80D Announced

Jan 21, 2015
H. Jones said:
So with this new 45-point all cross-type focus system, I can totally see Canon putting that into a 6D mark II. Totally usable for weddings/landscapes, and yet not quite 5D mark III level, which would preserve the 5D Mark IV if it picks up the 61-point system from the 1Dx Mark II.
Now that 80D got a 45p all-cross AF system I can't understand why 1DXII didn't get 61p all-crosstype sensor (or similar) too. :eek:

Upvote 0

H. Jones

Photojournalist
Aug 1, 2014
Proscribo said:
H. Jones said:
So with this new 45-point all cross-type focus system, I can totally see Canon putting that into a 6D mark II. Totally usable for weddings/landscapes, and yet not quite 5D mark III level, which would preserve the 5D Mark IV if it picks up the 61-point system from the 1Dx Mark II.
Now that 80D got a 45p all-cross AF system I can't understand why 1DXII didn't get 61p all-crosstype sensor (or similar) too. :eek:

Huh, good point. At first I thought the 1DX had the same 45 cross-type points perhaps, but it's only 41.

I'm sure some review site out there will be claiming the 80D has better autofocus than a 1DX Mark II because of the number of cross-type points.

Upvote 0
Nininini said:
I like the viewfinder and specs, but the price is just a bit too much. Especially with the 18-135.

Gave me sticker shock. $1800? seriously?

You do know that's for the kit with the EF-S 18-135MM IS Nano USM lens, right? Body only is $1,199, which is exactly the same launch price of the 70D...three years ago.

Way more features at an inflation-adjusted decrease in price. Quite nice, if you ask me. It'll be below $1K by Black Friday...

Upvote 0
Mark D5 TEAM II said:
Dual Pixel CMOS AF employs a new Canon CMOS sensor with which all of the effective pixels are able to perform both still imaging and phase-detection AF simultaneously to achieve dramatically improved AF performance during Live View and video shooting.

Wow, DPAF now covers 100% of the sensor, not just 80% like in the 7D2 and 1DX2.

I think this might have been a reporting mistake by the reviewer. Looking at the AF page for the 80D here, I see the label "80%" and a diagram that appears to show the DPAF area that covers 80% of the sensor. (Scroll down toward the bottom on the right.)

I don't speak or read Japanese, though, so someone might be able to confirm/refute my conclusion... :p

Upvote 0
Another big question is how is the Servo tracking with the Tamron 150-600?

On the 70D is was a gremlin, not bad but not great.

I can not wait till the DR nuts get to test the sensor and usable ISO number vs the 70D.

Another question is will it have the awesome noise reduction as the 7d2 has?

Depending on the low iso dr, the new sensor may be good for landscape and portrait.
With the better focus, double size buffer, and uhs1 support it won't be a bad upgrade for a bird shooter that wants wifi,tilt touch screen for video over the 70D.

great thing about the 27 af points at f8 is that it gives a entry level first time SLR birder an option of using a tele (that works with efs) and the 55-250 stm ($99-$149) at an extremely low entrance price with a focal equivalent of 560mm. Won't be the fastest nor best optic but for a few hundred bucks and getting that reach with 27 af points is not bad.

Upvote 0

hubie

70D with 24-70 f/4 L + 70-200 f/4 L + 50 f/1.4
Feb 4, 2015
Germany
Famateur said:
So is there, or is there not GPS in the 80D?

DPReview says "yes" in their "hands-on review" here.

But I see no mention of GPS in the feature list on Canon's site here.

Got all excited at the bonus of GPS while reading DPReview's info, but now it's looking like there's no GPS.

Anyone have a definitive answer on this?

Dude, despite your estimations, you have the answer on your hand: There will be no GPS as Canon doesn't mention it as a feature on their list. It is more probable, that a 3rd party site has made a mistake in their review instead of the official manufacturer missing to mention a main feature on their official feature-list.

RickWagoner said:
Another big question is how is the Servo tracking with the Tamron 150-600?

On the 70D is was a gremlin, not bad but not great.

I can not wait till the DR nuts get to test the sensor and usable ISO number vs the 70D.

Another question is will it have the awesome noise reduction as the 7d2 has?

Depending on the low iso dr, the new sensor may be good for landscape and portrait.
With the better focus, double size buffer, and uhs1 support it won't be a bad upgrade for a bird shooter that wants wifi,tilt touch screen for video over the 70D.

great thing about the 27 af points at f8 is that it gives a entry level first time SLR birder an option of using a tele (that works with efs) and the 55-250 stm ($99-$149) at an extremely low entrance price with a focal equivalent of 560mm. Won't be the fastest nor best optic but for a few hundred bucks and getting that reach with 27 af points is not bad.

Since when is the 55-250 compatible with 1.4 tele converter?

Upvote 0
If the new sensor has great low ISO DR, I wonder when Canon will get around to releasing some better APS-C landscape lenses. The 10-22 is a little slow, soft at 10mm, and has wicked bad CA.

I would like to see a new 10-22 at f2.8 at least, along with something similar to the Sigma 8-16, which is really wide and actually pretty damn good optically even at 8mm.

Upvote 0
hubie said:
Famateur said:

Got all excited at the bonus of GPS while reading DPReview's info, but now it's looking like there's no GPS.

Dude, despite your estimations, you have the answer on your hand: There will be no GPS as Canon doesn't mention it as a feature on their list. It is more probable, that a 3rd party site has made a mistake in their review instead of the official manufacturer missing to mention a main feature on their official feature-list.

Yeah, I get the probability here, but it has me scratching my head. DPReview had hands-on and wrote that GPS was there. Did they have a pre-production model that did have GPS, but it was scrapped in the official release? What prompted them to take the time to write that it had GPS in the first place? Could it be that it will have GPS in some regions and not others (like the WiFi and non-WiFi versions of the 70D)? Probably a desperate stretch, but I'd like (and might not get) an explanation for the discrepancy. That's a fairly significant gaffe for DPReview...

Upvote 0
Famateur said:
hubie said:
Famateur said:

Yeah, I get the probability here, but it has me scratching my head. DPReview had hands-on and wrote that GPS was there. Did they have a pre-production model that did have GPS, but it was scrapped in the official release? What prompted them to take the time to write that it had GPS in the first place? Could it be that it will have GPS in some regions and not others (like the WiFi and non-WiFi versions of the 70D)? Probably a desperate stretch, but I'd like (and might not get) an explanation for the discrepancy. That's a fairly significant gaffe for DPReview...

And, to be fair, Canon does not list GPS in the 1DXII's "Specifications" page (though it is listed in the "Features" page). Hoping for the remote chance of an unintentional omission on the official site, but I recognize that the chance is pretty much nil... :(

Upvote 0

H. Jones

Photojournalist
Aug 1, 2014
azizjhn said:
I am a little bit confused

Great added pro features like 100% VF, advanced Autofocus system with 27 points with F8 support yet there is no dual SD card slots.

Improved video functions like new DPAF, nice move with new Nano USM concept & power zoom, headphone jack but still no 4K.

Still nice specs camera.

Those features are almost 100% guaranteed on the 5D Mark IV, so it's obvious Canon is aiming for professional users to all go for the 5D Mark IV instead of the 80D. Makes sense--this is definitely a "youtube" camera. There's nothing wrong with that market, but those users won't need 4K or back up cards.

Upvote 0

azizjhn

CR Pro
Apr 5, 2012
H. Jones said:
azizjhn said:

Great added pro features like 100% VF, advanced Autofocus system with 27 points with F8 support yet there is no dual SD card slots.

Improved video functions like new DPAF, nice move with new Nano USM concept & power zoom, headphone jack but still no 4K.

Still nice specs camera.

Those features are almost 100% guaranteed on the 5D Mark IV, so it's obvious Canon is aiming for professional users to all go for the 5D Mark IV instead of the 80D. Makes sense--this is definitely a "youtube" camera. There's nothing wrong with that market, but those users won't need 4K or back up cards.

I agree in some point but for the "Youtube" most of them will prefer GH4 or any other 4K option since the still photography is small part of their interest. I wish these feature will come to 6D MKII knowing canon sure it will not. But at least I know DPAF will be standard from now on to their mid range to pro level camera's.

Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
Looks like Canon did a decent job here.

Of course the new AF and the new sensor must be taken to the test to call this camera good or excellent.
But if they're okay I wouldn't have expected more from a 80D.

But there is one thing:
Canon Rumors said:
A new lens hood, the EW-73D, is included with the new lens.
Shocking! :eek: :eek: :eek: That really takes my breath.
I never thought this would happen to a non L lens during my lifetime.
Canon, you're innovative ;)

Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
PhotographyFirst said:
If the new sensor has great low ISO DR, I wonder when Canon will get around to releasing some better APS-C landscape lenses. The 10-22 is a little slow, soft at 10mm, and has wicked bad CA.

I would like to see a new 10-22 at f2.8 at least, along with something similar to the Sigma 8-16, which is really wide and actually pretty damn good optically even at 8mm.
Maybe you could try an EF 11-24mm f/4L USM ;)

But jokes aside:
I think you're right, that it's about time to improve the 10-22. But don't expect anything like a constant aperture or wider than 3.5.
I suppose a new high quality EF-S WA lens will not much differ in general specs from what we have now.

Upvote 0
Feb 12, 2014
azizjhn said:

Still nice specs camera.

No 4K because the processor can't handle it.

Upvote 0