Canon EOS 80D, PowerShot G7 X II, SX720 HS & EF-S 18-135 f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Coming Shortly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
In preparation for CP+ in Japan this month, Canon is set to announce new consumer products. We reported that the <a href="http://www.canonrumors.com/eos-80d-to-be-announced-in-february-cr2/">EOS 80D was coming in February</a>, and along with it will come what may be a new kit lens, an EF-S 18-135 f/3.5-5.6 IS USM (<a href="http://www.canonrumors.com/patent-ef-s-18-100mm-f3-5-5-6-is/">the recent patent</a> may have been for this lens) along with two new PowerShot cameras, the G7 X II and SX720 HS.</p>
<p>There will also be something called a Power Zoom Adaptor being announced, but there is no information on this.</p>
<p>Canon EOS 80D Specifications</p>
<ul>
<li>More AF Points</li>
<li>Upgraded AF system</li>
</ul>
<p>This is all we’ve been told about the upcoming DSLR.</p>
<p>A Canon Rumors forum contributor <a href="http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=29079.msg577778#msg577778" target="_blank">thetechhimself</a> noted that Canon themselves updated their knowledge center around the time of the EOS-1D X Mark II announcement and listed the EOS 80D, which likely means an announcement is imminent. You can view it at Canon USA <a href="https://support.usa.canon.com/kb/index?page=content&id=ART162832" target="_blank">here</a>.</p>
<p>Canon PowerShot G7X II</p>
<ul>
<li>1″ 20MP CMOS sensor</li>
<li>DIGIC7</li>
<li>Lens: 24-100mm f/1.8-2.8 with Image Stabilizer (IS), 9 aperture blades</li>
<li>Control ring</li>
<li>Continuous shooting up to 8 fps</li>
<li>3″ 1.04 million dots tilting LCD touch screen (tilt 180° up, 45° down)</li>
<li>Full HD video</li>
<li>Time-lapse movie</li>
<li>Wi-FI, NFC built-in</li>
<li>Picture styles</li>
<li>In camera RAW development</li>
</ul>
<p>PowerShot SX720 HS</p>
<ul>
<li>20.3 MP CMOS sensor</li>
<li>DIGIC6</li>
<li>40x optical zoom</li>
<li>Image Stabilizer (IS)</li>
<li>Wi-Fi, NFC built-in</li>
<li>Full HD video</li>
<li>3″ 922,000 dots LCD screen</li>
</ul>
<span id="pty_trigger"></span>

Mar 25, 2011
9VIII said:
Aww, SX720HS, not SX70HS.
Seeing the SX label got me excited unnecessarily.

After the lackluster performance of the SX60HS I keep hoping Canon will give us a Point and Shoot Superzoom that's an all around improvement on the famed SX50 HS (which was demonstrated to be a competitive option for telephoto by members here).

You might take a look at the G3X. One inch Sensor and 25X Zoom. I'd much prefer one to my old SX50HS that is really only usable to 25X anyway.

I don't think that a SX70 is coming, the one inch sensors are going to take over.

Upvote 0

K

Jan 29, 2015
I'd be perfectly happy with the same 20MP on the 80D, but with a sensor that is cleaner at higher ISO and a little more DR.

More AF points probably means that Canon finally is going to offer up something better than the 9, 11, 19 pt systems but that doesn't quite reach the "pro" level 61 or 65 pt systems. Here's hoping to something in the higher 20 or 30 pts.

Dual SD would be great, but knowing Canon - this may never happen.

Upvote 0
Pretty unexciting. The 80D is what, a D7200 competitor? What about the D500? 7D II? Not quite.

G7X II? Sony released their RX100 II pretty long ago and it matches up against these rumored specs.

SX720? Another tiny sensor zoom camera, with nothing exciting about it at all.

18-135mm? Really? Come on Canon, come up with a more interesting focal range/aperture combo.

As a Canon M owner, these kind of announcements leave me little hope for the next M to be any kind of leap forward that M owners are begging for.

Upvote 0
Feb 8, 2013
Mt Spokane Photography said:
9VIII said:
Aww, SX720HS, not SX70HS.
Seeing the SX label got me excited unnecessarily.

After the lackluster performance of the SX60HS I keep hoping Canon will give us a Point and Shoot Superzoom that's an all around improvement on the famed SX50 HS (which was demonstrated to be a competitive option for telephoto by members here).

You might take a look at the G3X. One inch Sensor and 25X Zoom. I'd much prefer one to my old SX50HS that is really only usable to 25X anyway.

I don't think that a SX70 is coming, the one inch sensors are going to take over.

Trouble there is the G3X cost almost as much as a full frame body now. Canon should really just stick an EOS-M mount on one of those things and drop the price a few hundred dollars.

Upvote 0

Sharlin

CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
Turku, Finland
allkar said:
Why everyone here talk about the 18-135 IS USM? The patent relates to 18-100 IS.

Not nearly all lens patents end up as actual products. Presumably the 18-100 design is a proof of concept of something novel and patentable, and the rumored 18-135 is then an actual real-world implementation of the same optical design.

Upvote 0

Sharlin

CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
Turku, Finland
K said:
More AF points probably means that Canon finally is going to offer up something better than the 9, 11, 19 pt systems but that doesn't quite reach the "pro" level 61 or 65 pt systems. Here's hoping to something in the higher 20 or 30 pts.

Perhaps a new version of the 44 point designs used in the 1D(s) series pre-X?

It's interesting that Canon has finally chosen to up their game re: number of AF points in the xxD series. All the models from 20D up to the 60D had the fundamentally similar 9-point system with incremental improvements (the 10D had 7). Then 70D inherited 7D's 19 points and now 80D is getting even more?

Upvote 0

nhz

Jan 9, 2016
thetechhimself said:
By the way, I view the 80D not as a competitor for the D7200 or D500, but rather an upgrade of the 70D, and also a platform for APS-C tech historically. Canon still largely goes to the beat of their own drum, you have Nikon going "oh crap, 7D, now what?" But Canon does that to Nikon and visa versa.

You are probably right about that but I agree with HaroldC3 here, pretty unexciting if this is the real spec.

There isn't that much room in between the 760D, 70D and 7D2 currently except maybe for potential 4K video (how many really use this after the novelty trick wears off?). Canon seems preoccupied with 'segmenting' and milking the market, making sure that there are all kinds of practically irrelevant differences between models and only very gradual changes that are just enough to keep the faithful upgrading every time.

Now if they have a new sensor with much improved noise/DR (like is rumored for 1DXII, but I'm not convinced about its practical performance yet), improved AF system and a bit lower weight that could be attractive - but I bet at least the sensor is existing tech, with at best a few small tweaks. After all, better sensor than 7D2 would be a problem with the current pricing (especially in EU where 7D2 is still VERY expensive).

I don't think Canon has anything to compete with D500 and won't have for at east 2 years judging from these 80D specs. BTW, I find it curious that that Canon support page lists 80D and not SL2, which was supposed to be a more likely introduction for CP+.

Upvote 0

nhz

Jan 9, 2016
Sharlin said:
allkar said:
Why everyone here talk about the 18-135 IS USM? The patent relates to 18-100 IS.

Not nearly all lens patents end up as actual products. Presumably the 18-100 design is a proof of concept of something novel and patentable, and the rumored 18-135 is then an actual real-world implementation of the same optical design.

Instead of a better kit lens you can always make a CHEAPER kit lens ;-)

Some USM lenses are really crap, USM doesn't guarantee much. And for those who assume the 80D is about (4K) video, isn't STM supposed to be superior technology for video AF?

Upvote 0
thetechhimself said:
If they can do 8FPS @ 20MP with a lower clocked DIGIC7, they can do the rumored 8FPS @ 24MP (or more) on a higher clocked DIGIC7 that would be present in the Pro-M, upcoming later this year... Check next to that rumor... I'd say that rumor of 8FPS+ is valid, wonderful, I knew they'd get there, eventually.

Happy for the G7X users, that 1FPS per second RAW was a real crap shoot for the G series power shots...

Also strong probability of UHS-II, although not mentioned in the specs as 8FPS @ 20MP is greater than 95mb/sec of UHS-I

It says 8FPS but it doesn't state whether it is in jpg or RAW. So it could possibly still be 1FPS in RAW. Because you know they're talking about the jpgs being 8FPS.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.