Canon EOS R3 sensor resolution to be 45mp?

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
Besides PBD's usage, I use wide angle CPLs to reduce reflections for waterfalls. Taking shots with and without but generally using the shot with CPL as looking through the water in pool of the waterfall (flat water not turbulent) is better than reflections. Reflections on wet rocks within the waterfall show up as harsh lighting.

Seascapes on rock shelves is another example. Use no CPL for cloud reflections on puddles on the rocks or ocean pools or CPL when you want to show what is in the rock pools. If it is overcast then there are no blue sky issues to use CPL for wide angle shots. If the skies are clear, there is no point to shoot a sunrise from my perspective :)
Thanks for answering. So many talks about polarizing filters brought to mind something different:

That I hadn't thought of bringing a polarizing filter for shooting some small amphibians! In the best case the water was so swallow that it practically didn't matter but that was stupid of me. I am not going there again most probably. I have a normal - not 4x4 - car and I drove about 18 kilometers (and then back) of a bumpy rocky road. So it could be a disaster (Initially I was thinking that word for the shooting but it can easily apply to driving too :D )

Interesting thing I have a polarizer (77mm ... I think!) but I do not bring it with me the last few years. That should change. It is small and light and can fit easily to the bag (...probably with a step ring too).

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Could Canon have intentionally leaked wrong information? It would be a smart strategy to damage the reputation of rumor sites.
What possible benefit would there be for Canon to damage the reputation of rumor sites? These sites give them millions of dollars worth of free publicity every year. They aren't going to start feeding information to the sites, but they are happy to just ignore them and reap the benefits from the buzz these sites generate for the company.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Aug 7, 2018
What possible benefit would there be for Canon to damage the reputation of rumor sites? These sites give them millions of dollars worth of free publicity every year. They aren't going to start feeding information to the sites, but they are happy to just ignore them and reap the benefits from the buzz these sites generate for the company.
No company wants sites that leak information far ahead of an official announcement. They have a reason not to publish certain information, because their competitors could react and get an advantage. Imagine the R3 really has 45 megapixels, but Canon leaks information making Nikon believe that it only has 30 megapixels, but then in September the R3 is officially announced with 45 megapixels two months ahead of the Z9. As some people (not me) prefer 45 megapixels, that would be quite a coup for Canon. If Nikon had that information earlier, they might have announced the Z9 much sooner to compete with the R3.

The Pentagon uses that strategy quite a lot. They do everything to make it look like their really are aliens on Area 51. They even stop former employees from talking about anything they saw there. All just to make conspiracy theorists jump on that wagon and publish all that nonsense. If that same people really have something valid to report, nobody will trust them after all the reports about aliens.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Let's take a big(ish) data approach to this. When we start seeing the Olympics photos come in, let's compare the R3 shooters' images to those of the AP (who all will be shooting the hi rez Sony sensors). Do the AP images crop in more frequently than those of the others? There will be examples where photographer placement limitations will make this very desirable. Presumably they will be - on average - using the same focal lengths. If we see Sony images cropping in to 2/3 the linear side relative to the Canon, or a weird absence of equivalent shots with the Canon shooters when it would appear to be useful, then we could get some clues. At least some arguments.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
No company wants sites that leak information far ahead of an official announcement. They have a reason not to publish certain information, because their competitors could react and get an advantage. Imagine the R3 really has 45 megapixels, but Canon leaks information making Nikon believe that it only has 30 megapixels, but then in September the R3 is officially announced with 45 megapixels two months ahead of the Z9. As some people (not me) prefer 45 megapixels, that would be quite a coup for Canon. If Nikon had that information earlier, they might have announced the Z9 much sooner to compete with the R3.

The Pentagon uses that strategy quite a lot. They do everything to make it look like their really are aliens on Area 51. They even stop former employees from talking about anything they saw there. All just to make conspiracy theorists jump on that wagon and publish all that nonsense. If that same people really have something valid to report, nobody will trust them after all the reports about aliens.
Yeah, changing mfg procedures, processes, QC, packaging, literature, parts, etc... it ain't like asking Burger King to hold the mayo or add pickles. And yes, some companies use the press from rumor sites to leak info. Yup, they want it.

Upvote 0
If it is 45 mp, I would likely think it would eat into the R5 sales for stills shooters. I would think 30 mp would be the sweet spot.
Would they mind? "Drn, we lost a $4000 R5 sale, but hay we sold a $6000 R3 instead!" With 30mp it is more likely they will loose the $6000 sale to people wanting higher MP.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
If it is 45 mp, I would likely think it would eat into the R5 sales for stills shooters. I would think 30 mp would be the sweet spot.
Either way, Canon is selling a camera. To the extent that one model has a higher profit margin than the other, that matters but really not much.

Upvote 0
Would they mind? "Drn, we lost a $4000 R5 sale, but hay we sold a $6000 R3 instead!" With 30mp it is more likely they will loose the $6000 sale to people wanting higher MP.
I think it more likely they think that people like me will buy the 30mp R3 for action and the 45mp R5 for the stuff that needs Hi-Res. We should know soon. Of course, if the R3 is 45, I may just sell my R5 and buy 2 R3s. I'm kind of hoping for 30 myself, but 45 will work too.

Upvote 0
Thanks for answering. So many talks about polarizing filters brought to mind something different:

That I hadn't thought of bringing a polarizing filter for shooting some small amphibians! In the best case the water was so swallow that it practically didn't matter but that was stupid of me. I am not going there again most probably. I have a normal - not 4x4 - car and I drove about 18 kilometers (and then back) of a bumpy rocky road. So it could be a disaster (Initially I was thinking that word for the shooting but it can easily apply to driving too :D )

Interesting thing I have a polarizer (77mm ... I think!) but I do not bring it with me the last few years. That should change. It is small and light and can fit easily to the bag (...probably with a step ring too).
There are shooting strategies (luminosity blending, multi-shot average blending etc) to simulate ND/grad ND filters but you can't replicate CPL in post. In essence, a CPL should be everyone's first filter but understanding when to use it takes time :)

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Canon could also easily have been A-B testing it with both 30 and 45 MP bodies in the hands of those having signed NDAs and collecting feedback from them before they decide which of the 2 to they'll put into production. Maybe even along with test runs of the sensors to see what yield they get out of the fab.
Are you suggesting they designed and built a processing pipeline, buffer, etc., capable of handling 45 MP at 30 fps, while planning to decide later whether to use 45 MP or 30 MP? Seems unlikely.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

john1970

EOS R3
CR Pro
Dec 27, 2015
Northeastern US
Are you suggesting they designed and built a processing pipeline, buffer, etc., capable of handling 45 MP at 30 fps, while planning to decide later whether to use 45 MP or 30 MP? Seems unlikely.
I agree and in all honesty whether the camera is 30 MP or 45 MP makes little difference to me. For me the specs that are more important are:
  • electronic shutter with adjustable fps not just 30 fps
  • buffer depth when shooting
  • spot metering link to AF point
  • AF acquisition speed
  • highISO noise and base ISO dynamic range

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
They could engineer it all and not put it in production ever - happens all the time in any R&D lab (I've worked in few myself - good stuff that never makes it into or as a product is more common than actual products in my experience).
Or they could keep it for another product down the line when / where it becomes more needed form either a marketing point of view, or more feasible from a production yield point of view, or even down to mere product manager whims. Also some things like processors etc might suffer more from problems like heat generated or reliability issues in the field if they need to run at high clocks etc.

In the end it's always a compromise no matter what product you make, design and/or release. And often there's more than one compromise possible and even desirable. It's just which will the customers like best, which function best (hence the testing from a technical point of view), and which make economical and marketing sense.
That might make sense if the R3 was a planned 2022 release.

Upvote 0

H. Jones

Photojournalist
Aug 1, 2014
Side note, I've seen well over a dozen posts by photographers I know that are using the R3 at the Olympics.

The resolution has to leak sometime soon, right? I mean they are handing out probably hundreds of R3s to all kinds of news organizations at the moment. All it should really take is one of them to accidentally say the resolution or upload some images.

Upvote 0
Jan 30, 2020
Another day, another snippet about the Canon R3. This time about the viewfinder. Can anyone recall a Canon camera so openly shown by Canon officials, and yet not formally announced with full spec sheet?

Upvote 0

john1970

EOS R3
CR Pro
Dec 27, 2015
Northeastern US
If speed is the main feature of the R3 then surely it will be 30mp, not 45. Anything a 45mp camera can do a 30mp can do quicker ?
The speed seems to all be related to the sensor readout so difficult to infer the MP count. We continue to wait. To answer a question above: I do not recall a Canon camera being shown so much by Canon officials prior to official announcement. Maybe a new marketing strategy?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
They also say that they will "outperform" the competition, and with 30MP they don't come close to the A1.
Sounds like a lot of marketing fluff.
Go on.... I want to hear how rez alone will lead to a body outperforming.
Keep this in mind, my experience with this sitch is based upon going from a 22mp to a 20 and having the latter outperform the higher mp count body in spades. Canon to Canon though.

Upvote 0