Canon EOS R5 Specifications

I don't consider it art .....

I hate to get sucked into the 'photography-is-or-isn't-art' worm hole, but I can't help it:

I think 'art' is used where 'good' is what's meant--as a value statement. In my opinion, anyway,: art is art. Be it good art or be it bad art. Whether you like it or you don't like it. Nobody says, "Ahh now listen to that! That's music!" as if it's not music if it isn't good music.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
I hate to get sucked into the 'photography-is-or-isn't-art' worm hole, but I can't help it:

I think 'art' is used where 'good' is what's meant--as a value statement. In my opinion, anyway,: art is art. Be it good art or be it bad art. Whether you like it or you don't like it. Nobody says, "Ahh now listen to that! That's music!" as if it's not music if it isn't good music.
The trees get planted, the clay gets dug, and the cameras are made from sand and fossils.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

Steve Balcombe

Too much gear
Aug 1, 2014
Even IF you write off the 8K as a mistranslation, the base specs still are in wishful thinking territory. 45 @ 20fps? Even with no mechanical shutter, or no AF, that is still more data than any other camera moves around. That's not incremental.

"R5" - 45x20 = 900mp/s
A74 - 60x10 = 600
A92 - 24x20 = 480
1D3 - 20x20 = 400
Z70 - 45x9 = 405
I'm not sure how informative this is. My 20 MP Sony RX10 Mark IV bridge camera can do 24 fps = 480 mp/s which is faster than the 1DX3! It's over two years older and less than 1/4 of the price of the 1DX3 - probably 1/8 of the price if you make an allowance for the excellent lens. It doesn't seem so far fetched to suggest that the R5 could have double the throughput of my RX10iv.

Upvote 0
I was talking about noise reduction due to the newer generation camera. Since it seems it will be available before the 80 or so mpixel body and your choice will be the new 45 one vs 5DsR.

If it's really 45Mp, *and* Canon also releases an 80Mp model, I'll probably struggle to choose between high-res and high-DR (as I believe 45Mp one will have a better DR).
45Mp is nearly what I'd like to have in terms of resolution but slightly below the expectations, I'd better have 50+Mp.

I guess if Canon promises to match at least 5DIV's performance, I'll even think of preorderng this 45Mp beast. If they match A7RIII, it's a must buy.

Upvote 0
Nov 12, 2016
Compression.

Compression is a CPU-intensive process. Imagine zipping a 2 gigabyte file every second.
Ummm... Compression when recording a raw video? I think the entire idea behind raw video is that there is no compression taking place. That's what I'm asking... People seem to be unable to believe that a camera could ever handle this level of video, but my question is what does the camera really need to "process" when you're shooting a raw format. My thought is that raw video recording may be less taxing on the processing power of a camera than recording to a compressed format.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
So a musician isn't a musician unless he builds his own piano, right?

btw I'm convinced it's always better if you start playing a good instrument as a beginner, not a crappy one. You may not be able to afford a good piano/guitar/whatever as a learner but purely for skill development it's better to have a quality instrument.

I suspect the same applies to photography and cameras, but many people think the gear doesn't matter.

Upvote 0

Danglin52

Wildlife Shooter
Aug 8, 2018
Assuming you can select the number of frames per second just like 7DII did you try it with 7 or 8 fps?

I am going off memory here, but I think you could choose single, 7fps or 10fps. I didn't not test thourghly at 7fps, but I do remember some miss-focus. It was more consistent and repeatable at 10 fps setting.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
btw I'm convinced it's always better if you start playing a good instrument as a beginner, not a crappy one. You may not be able to afford a good piano/guitar/whatever as a learner but purely for skill development it's better to have a quality instrument.

I suspect the same applies to photography and cameras, but many people think the gear doesn't matter.
I started guitar with a Martin. Sold it to buy a lens and thought a Yamaha would be just as fun. Nope. Now I still can't play, but it is far less enjoyable. I agree with you. ;) I no longer have that lens and nobody wants the Yamaha. :cry:

Upvote 0

davidhfe

CR Pro
Sep 9, 2015
Ummm... Compression when recording a raw video? I think the entire idea behind raw video is that there is no compression taking place. That's what I'm asking... People seem to be unable to believe that a camera could ever handle this level of video, but my question is what does the camera really need to "process" when you're shooting a raw format. My thought is that raw video recording may be less taxing on the processing power of a camera than recording to a compressed format.

I think you'd need some level of compression here.

33mp x 14 bit x 30 fps = 13860 Mbps. Convert bits to bytes and that's ~1,700 MBps. Faster than most (all?) CFe cards. I am assuming there is also quite of bit of processing involved in taking the stream of bits off the sensor and conforming them to whatever the CFe card's filesystem is. I'm no EE but pretty sure you can't just point the sensor's firehose at your PCIe bus.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

davidhfe

CR Pro
Sep 9, 2015
I'm not sure how informative this is. My 20 MP Sony RX10 Mark IV bridge camera can do 24 fps = 480 mp/s which is faster than the 1DX3! It's over two years older and less than 1/4 of the price of the 1DX3 - probably 1/8 of the price if you make an allowance for the excellent lens. It doesn't seem so far fetched to suggest that the R5 could have double the throughput of my RX10iv.

Good point. Maybe recent canon processing limitations have set my standards too low :)

Upvote 0
I started guitar with a Martin. Sold it to buy a lens and thought a Yamaha would be just as fun. Nope. Now I still can't play, but it is far less enjoyable. I agree with you. ;) I no longer have that lens and nobody wants the Yamaha. :cry:
Steve Earle from Guitar Town.

Everybody told me you can't get far
On thirty-seven dollars and a jap guitar
Now I'm smokin' into Texas with the hammer down
And a rockin' little combo from the Guitar Town

Yamaha makes some nice instruments but nothing ages like a Martin Dreadnought.

Upvote 0
Now I still can't play, but it is far less enjoyable.
Exactly. In music, you have to be persistent and spend a lot of time practicing. With a good guitar, you'll be producing some good rewarding enjoyable sounds occasionally and it encourages you to keep practicing. Poor quality instrument will cause disappointment and discouragement.

Again I believe the same applies to photography and to any other field except theoretical science. There you'd better start with a blackboard, chalk, piece of paper and a pencil, not a supercomputer.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0