Canon EOS R5 Specifications

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
Guys please push harder. It's almost 50 pages and 1000 comments. Break the record!

'Canon is doomed' isn't really working anymore, 'Why I will/won't buy this camera' comments don't help much as they don't produce a lot of responses (who cares why you won't buy it), but Dynamic Range, Photography as Art question and the Need for IBIS can help tremendously. "You don't need this feature" also produces a lot of traffic. Go go go!
I seriously don't need the feature of a rumor as I subscribe to the 'Shoot with what you have' rule. However, my main body is 8 years old and I passed the shutter count lifespan for it years ago. My American Express is ready and waiting B & H.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
I seriously don't need the feature of a rumor as I subscribe to the 'Shoot with what you have' rule. However, my main body is 8 years old and I passed the shutter count lifespan for it years ago. My American Express is ready and waiting B & H.

My main body is much older and I'm not able to upgrade it at B&H :(

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jan 30, 2020
Does that make more economic sense than discontinuing the most (arguably) successful line of cameras and lenses ever created while people still want to buy them?

Yes. Because R cameras can still be used with existing EF lenses. Therefore they are not orphaned but will fade away over time as they are replaced by better R glass. Canon thought this through much better than when the EF lens mount was introduced.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
Canon releases 5D4 at $3300ish. Canon releases 5DS at about the same price. I think we will see the same thing here with all these models (short of the bargain RP replacement) priced very similarly each with unique feature sets geared to a specific use. One all arounder (R5). One video centric (R6??). One 83MP Resolution beast with no real video usage and slower frame rates for high level studio and landscaping (R Something)

The EOS 5Ds and 5Ds R were released at $3,699 and $3,899, respectively, in 2015 dollars. That translates to $3,994 and $4,211 in 2020 dollars.

The EOS 5D mark IV was released in late 2016 at $3,499 which translates to roughly $3,726 in early 2020.

(Totally ignoring USD to yen exchange rates.)

Upvote 0

brad-man

Semi-Reactive Member
Jun 6, 2012
S Florida
Yes. Because R cameras can still be used with existing EF lenses. Therefore they are not orphaned but will fade away over time as they are replaced by better R glass. Canon thought this through much better than when the EF lens mount was introduced.
You're argument was that it makes no economic sense for Canon to continue making DSLRs. Now your argument is that it makes no sense for consumers to buy them.

• Sad
Upvote 0

reefroamer

CR Pro
Jun 21, 2014
That Rebel is better than most top tier bodies from a decade ago, look how far we've come baby!
My first DSLR was the Canon D6, around 1998, I think. It was about $2,000 and had a 6MP APSC-sized sensor. I didn’t even know what dynamic range was. I forget the FPS, but not much. I put a grand down at the local camera store — remember those? — and waited about nine months for it because of the back orders. Three months after I picked it up, Canon announced the improved and cheaper 10D. It’s really been an amazing photographic ride ever since.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Now look at the R line. The EOS R body/frame will be used for the R and now most likely the R5, R6, Rs. There's no real reason to vary the body in those.

Too small. I used one and though it was an upgrade both in grip chunkyness and (critically) distance from the mount to the A7 line, I still missed the grip and feel of my 5D3 (and I have ordinary sized hands).

I think Canon may have hedged on the last few years' 'mirrorless is all about small vs. all about being better than an SLR' debate, and they brought forth a body that would not offend either camp. The results are in. People are putting huge pickle jars on these bodies and want more of them. The entire EF line has ceased with new lens offerings = everything is headed to RF. It appears that the 'big' camp won.

A smaller FF body will follow, but there will be zero interest in it until we get a line of tiny RF lenses. So I'm hoping 'keep it small' folks get their small lenses... but until that time, I'd like a chunky 5D3 grip and thumbwheel, please. :)

- A

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0