Canon EOS R5 Specifications

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
I still have my EOS RP and the 3 RF lenses :) However, seeing that I mostly focus on travel photography and due to the worldwide travel bans, I doubt i'd be creating much content in the near future.
Commiserations. Lots of people have sudden dire problems from health to financial so if all I miss is a year's travel, I think myself lucky.

Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
Commiserations. Lots of people have sudden dire problems from health to financial so if all I miss is a year's travel, I think myself lucky.
I'll also miss my trip to northern Italy this spring.
But, compared to the Italians' sufferings, I'm just "suffering" peanuts...and taking pictures of lovely little flowers in my garden.
And keep hoping that my Italian friends are safe and healthy!

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
I'll also miss my trip to northern Italy this spring.
But, compared to the Italians' sufferings, I'm just "suffering" peanuts...and taking pictures of lovely little flowers in my garden.
And keep hoping that my Italian friends are safe and healthy!
Italy is one of my favourite countries and the Italians are among the most hospitable people.

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
Received an offer email from Canon a few days ago promoting their holy trinity RF lenses and offering a discount of around USD$200. Said to be an offer "in preparation for the imminent release of the Canon EOS R5". Offer only valid till 31 March. Could that be an indication that the R5 will be released in April?
It is in preparation of the imminent end of Q1 2020. Not a Canon insider but luxury and leisure goods are taking some serious beating.
That said, $200 discount on what $7,500 package across a set of three lenses? That’s 2.8%

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

derpderp

Pixel Peeper
Jan 31, 2020
It is in preparation of the imminent end of Q1 2020. Not a Canon insider but luxury and leisure goods are taking some serious beating.
That said, $200 discount on what $7,500 package across a set of three lenses? That’s 2.8%

Need to clarify, its actually ~$200 discount for EACH lens.

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
Need to clarify, its actually ~$200 discount for EACH lens.
Ok that’s certainly a better deal at around 8% of discounting. At 20% Canon may start getting some traction with the current market.
some Australian numbers to consider:

Current unemployment rate: 5.1% - 700,000 out of jobs

Official near term unemployment projection:1,700,000 people out of jobs

that’s over 12% unemployment rate. Last time it was at that level in Australia back in around 1991-1992.

• Sad
Upvote 0

derpderp

Pixel Peeper
Jan 31, 2020
Ok that’s certainly a better deal at around 8% of discounting. At 20% Canon may start getting some traction with the current market.
some Australian numbers to consider:

Current unemployment rate: 5.1% - 700,000 out of jobs

Official near term unemployment projection:1,700,000 people out of jobs

that’s over 12% unemployment rate. Last time it was at that level in Australia back in around 1991-1992.

Makes me wonder if, in consideration of the current crisis, Canon will push back the release of the EOS R5. I hope they'll stick to the schedule.

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
I also saw a reference from the Australia site that indicated the R5 is imminent. I'd prefer not to be an early adopter but was planning a trip for the fall to bear country in BC, Canada and l and was hoping for the camera for that. However, the virus has us wondering if we'll even be alive let alone travelling. Like they say, the world will never be the same after this.

Jack

Upvote 0

derpderp

Pixel Peeper
Jan 31, 2020
The R5 might be announced next month to be released in July possibly in limited and the R6 hopefully will be announced in late April/May to be released in June.

Frankly no idea why they would announce something only to release it 3 months later. I think they'll announce in April and release in May.

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
I don't understand, who would need 8k, almost 99.9% of peoples PC's won't even handle 8k so what's the reason, it just makes the price higher?!
If you Google on the subject you'll understand what it gives that isn't just 8K oriented. For example you can after the fact zoom and pan while still outputting in 4K. Exactly what's being said about 8K was said about 4K and probably about HD. Imagine if Canon didn't push forward - they'd be DOOMED! ;)

Jack

Upvote 0

brad-man

Semi-Reactive Member
Jun 6, 2012
S Florida
I also saw a reference from the Australia site that indicated the R5 is imminent. I'd prefer not to be an early adopter but was planning a trip for the fall to bear country in BC, Canada and l and was hoping for the camera for that. However, the virus has us wondering if we'll even be alive let alone travelling. Like they say, the world will never be the same after this.

Jack
So I guess you are going to bring a trusty old EF lens to go with that R5, since there aren't any RF lenses suitable for bear country.

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
So I guess you are going to bring a trusty old EF lens to go with that R5, since there aren't any RF lenses suitable for bear country.

Of course. I bought the R and turned it over to my daughter. Although it was rather short she shot with the R and my 70-200 X1.4 in Costa Rica and had great results when not FLL. I'm not the least bit worried that the 400 DO II with X1.4 won't be just fine with the adapter and if I then have 45 MPs I think that'll be quite acceptable. There is a good chance that with the bare 400 I will have decent reach, especially for bears.

As far as balance goes, I shot for years with the 300 2.8 II with X2 on the 6D and that wasn't all that bad, not ideal. I'm not thrilled about the weight of the 1DX2 but like the size - always trade-offs.

However, I doubt the world will be very well by this fall, somehow. :(

Jack

Upvote 0

TwinExotica

Eos 6D and hopefully R5 Soon!
Mar 31, 2020
Sweden
If you Google on the subject you'll understand what it gives that isn't just 8K oriented. For example you can after the fact zoom and pan while still outputting in 4K. Exactly what's being said about 8K was said about 4K and probably about HD. Imagine if Canon didn't push forward - they'd be DOOMED! ;)

Jack
But I mean, how are you going to edit 8k footage, it takes a lot of PC power and storage, the best spect MacBook pro 16 won't even handle 8k

Upvote 0