Canon EOS R5 Specifications

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
Video, Video, Video!
Does he EOS R5 actually take stills?
It is a camera, right?
you have expressed this concern on an another thread just now. Are you going to post this drivel in every single thread or are you done with this for now?
I suggest that you can include this message in your signature and let the world know that way.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
you have expressed this concern on an another thread just now. Are you going to post this drivel in every single thread or are you done with this for now?
I suggest that you can include this message in your signature and let the world know that way.
It a way of dealing with consternation that statements geared for the NAB would make mention of video.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
Video, Video, Video!
Does he EOS R5 actually take stills?
It is a camera, right?

It was an announcement originally scheduled to be made at the NAB (National Association of Broadcasters) trade show. Why would they be talking about stills at a TV industry convention?

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Aussie shooter

https://brettguyphotography.picfair.com/
Dec 6, 2016
brettguyphotography.picfair.com
Question for those who may know. Would the fact that the R5 can do 8k internally at a higher rate than it can externally be an indication of the CFexpress being faster than transferring date through a cable to an external recorder? And if so would that perhaps help them overcome overheating issues?

Upvote 0

derpderp

Pixel Peeper
Jan 31, 2020

Well the user did join yesterday and made a couple posts with the same message. Probably a troll?

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
Well Sony surely wouldn't be resting on their laurels and not be developing a response to the R5? It's good that there's friendly competition in the mirrorless market, all the better for us consumers.

Development and production cycles are way too long to develop anything as a 'response'. Anything Sony can put into stores this year has been developed way before Canon started talking about the R5.

Upvote 0

Sharlin

CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
Turku, Finland
Question for those who may know. Would the fact that the R5 can do 8k internally at a higher rate than it can externally be an indication of the CFexpress being faster than transferring date through a cable to an external recorder? And if so would that perhaps help them overcome overheating issues?

Can the R5 record internally at a higher rate than externally? AFAIK we don't know either way yet. HDMI 2.0 should be able to easily transfer 8K30, however, whether RAW or h.265. Internal recording should be more heat-intensive than external because the card itself is going to produce a lot of heat as it is written to. This is why the capability for fully internal 8K recording is especially impressive.

Upvote 0
Well Sony surely wouldn't be resting on their laurels and not be developing a response to the R5? It's good that there's friendly competition in the mirrorless market, all the better for us consumers.
if they are just now developing a response, it won't be out for 2-3 years. That would make me nervous.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
Can the R5 record internally at a higher rate than externally? AFAIK we don't know either way yet. HDMI 2.0 should be able to easily transfer 8K30, however, whether RAW or h.265. [..]

HDMI uses uncompressed pixel data, so RAW/H265/etc doesn't affect it, it just outputs plain pixels. HDMI 2.0 can transfer 14.4Gbit/s, which is just enough for UHD 4k60 at 24 bit (8-bit per channel, no HDR). 4k60 is exactly half the bandwidth of 8k30. If the RAW stream is similar to the one on the 1DX3, it's 10-bit HDR, that would be 29.8Gbit/s for UHD 8k and 34.0 Gbit/s for DCI 8k.

HDMI 2.1 raises the bandwidth to 48Gbit/s.

Upvote 0

Sharlin

CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
Turku, Finland
HDMI uses uncompressed pixel data, so RAW/H265/etc doesn't affect it, it just outputs plain pixels. HDMI 2.0 can transfer 14.4Gbit/s, which is just enough for UHD 4k60 at 24 bit (8-bit per channel, no HDR). 4k60 is exactly half the bandwidth of 8k30. If the RAW stream is similar to the one on the 1DX3, it's 10-bit HDR, that would be 29.8Gbit/s for UHD 8k and 34.0 Gbit/s for DCI 8k.

HDMI 2.1 raises the bandwidth to 48Gbit/s.

Oh, right, somehow I forgot that HDMI is specifically for transfering pixels rather than arbitrary data, and that demosaiced pixel data actually requires more bandwidth (even at 8-bit per channel) than RAW…

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
The R5 does sound like a stunning Camera if you need a Camera which records brilliant stills and video, and all of those other features that come along with it, IBIS, dual slots etc.

I currently have a Canon 80D and want to upgrade so whilst my choices are budget limited I have different paths I could take, meaning different brands, but I love Canon. So for me I want to stay with Canon.

The R5 as I said looks fantastic, but I need a Camera for Landscape Photography and I always use a Tripod, so I don't need 4K video, IBIS etc. I've never had a memory card fail in 5 years so I don't see the need for a dual card slot, I'd just like to upgrade to FF and use EF Lenses with better optics and IQ.

There's one thing about upgrading to FF DSLRs that I would miss though (as I'm discounting the 6Dmk2) and that's the articulating screen. I would miss that I think from my Canon 80D, I use it a lot, especially when shooting low or at an angle etc.

It's a feature which has always been excluded by FF Cameras until now, with the 6Dmk2 being the first FF DSLR to incorporate it. I can see why Sports and Wildlife photographers wouldn't need a flip out screen as a lot of their work is done through the viewfinder, if not all. Who shoots action or wildlife in Live View?

But for Landscape Photography I find it really useful, so that's basically the one feature I'd miss.

I'm thinking about going for the 5DMk IV or the 5DSR but having looked at dxoscore it seems that the 5DMk IV would be the better choice.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
I currently have a Canon 80D and want to upgrade so whilst my choices are budget limited I have different paths I could take, meaning different brands, but I love Canon. So for me I want to stay with Canon.

The R5 as I said looks fantastic, but I need a Camera for Landscape Photography and I always use a Tripod, so I don't need 4K video, IBIS etc. I've never had a memory card fail in 5 years so I don't see the need for a dual card slot, I'd just like to upgrade to FF and use EF Lenses with better optics and IQ.

There's one thing about upgrading to FF DSLRs that I would miss though (as I'm discounting the 6Dmk2) and that's the articulating screen. I would miss that I think from my Canon 80D, I use it a lot, especially when shooting low or at an angle etc.

It's a feature which has always been excluded by FF Cameras until now, with the 6Dmk2 being the first FF DSLR to incorporate it. I can see why Sports and Wildlife photographers wouldn't need a flip out screen as a lot of their work is done through the viewfinder, if not all. Who shoots action or wildlife in Live View?

But for Landscape Photography I find it really useful, so that's basically the one feature I'd miss.

Don't dismiss the 6D Mark II offhand. It's a LOT of camera for the current price. Other than minimum Tv (1/4000 vs 1/8000), flash sync (1/180 vs 1/200), and build quality/weather and dust resistance (the 6D Mark II is at about the same level as the 80D), it's pretty close to being the equal of the 5D Mark III in most respects. It's better in terms of an RGB+IR meter compared to the dual layer meter in the 5D3. The AF system is one notch lower, just as the 80D and 90D are.

Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
The R5 does sound like a stunning Camera if you need a Camera which records brilliant stills and video, and all of those other features that come along with it, IBIS, dual slots etc.
If you strip those out of the R5, you're left with an R. Which does have the tilty floppy screen.

If you are used to the 80D's base ISO DR and make use of it often by pushing shadows significantly, be aware that it's the one property where the 80D actually outperforms the 6D II. But really only at base ISO and only if you do make extreme adjustments.

If you do though, an R seems to be the most affordable way to get current Canon sensor gen IQ in a FF camera. It also provides a resolution increase over the 80D and ergonomically I at least didn't find it all that different when trying it out in a store.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0