Canon EOS R5 Specifications

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
I was about sold on upgrading from my T3i to an 80D (although the name sounded like it needed ritalin). But rumors of a 6D successor were about, so I decided to wait and then see which I wanted. That is when I came to this site to follow rumors. I don't ever underexpose by five stops (at least not on purpose), so I have not regretted getting the 6D2. I will bracket and merge shots in Photoshop when dynamic range is beyond what just about any camera can handle well, such as back-lighted landscapes near sunset and dark stone church interiors where I want interior detail without washing out the colors in stained glass. I've also been pleased at how usable ISO 3200 often is. I've not ever had occasion to want autofocus to hone in on a corner of the frame, so the main complaints about the camera don't seem to apply to me. Other than murals on roll paper I do from panoramas, I don't print on paper larger than 13" x 19", so there is plenty of resolution even with some cropping. I try to compose the picture properly in the viewfinder anyway, so not a lot of cropping is typically needed, certainly not on anything I like well enough to print and hang on the wall. YMMV, of course, and if your needs differ much from mine, you most likely know who you are.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Rule556

I see no reason for recording the obvious. -Weston
Dec 19, 2019
Seattle
www.flickr.com
If you strip those out of the R5, you're left with an R. Which does have the tilty floppy screen.

If you are used to the 80D's base ISO DR and make use of it often by pushing shadows significantly, be aware that it's the one property where the 80D actually outperforms the 6D II. But really only at base ISO and only if you do make extreme adjustments.

If you do though, an R seems to be the most affordable way to get current Canon sensor gen IQ in a FF camera. It also provides a resolution increase over the 80D and ergonomically I at least didn't find it all that different when trying it out in a store.

I agree... The R sounds like a great fit for him. I bought my R because I knew I didn't need the IBIS, dual slots, or the video features, and a mirrorless camera with the 5DIV sensor fits my sweet spot perfectly, and at a great price (bought in December during the holiday sale).

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Would there be any disadvantage in using EF Lenses with the EOS R though compared to using EF Lenses on an EF Mount Camera and not having to use an adapter... does the adapter mean that an EF lens isn't be utilised at 100 percent of it's performance and IQ ?

If I did buy an EOS R I would have to buy EF Lenses because the RF Lenses are very expensive, too expensive really.

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
Would there be any disadvantage in using EF Lenses with the EOS R though compared to using EF Lenses on an EF Mount Camera and not having to use an adapter... does the adapter mean that an EF lens isn't be utilised at 100 percent of it's performance and IQ ?

If I did buy an EOS R I would have to buy EF Lenses because the RF Lenses are very expensive, too expensive really.

The adapter is basically an empty tube, with contacts to pass the signals from the camera to the lens and back again. It's basically an extension tube, from a functional standpoint. You lose nothing optically or otherwise, other than the very slight increased risk of dust and breakage from there being two bayonet points instead of one.

There are fancier adapters, one with a control ring on it for instance, but that just gives you the control ring that (some) RF lenses have and (all) EF lenses don't. Others have drop in filters which can be very handy.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks

No disadvantage, in fact, you will find that focus is more accurate. No AFMA needed.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

scottkinfw

Wildlife photography is my passion
CR Pro
I have a memory card question if anyone can help please.

I am anticipating the R5 arrival, and want to pick up an SD card. I noted that the spec is "UHS-II SD" I didn't realize that there are so many types of SD cards (SDXC, Extreme SDXC, SDHC, SDUC, etc.) and I know that for video I want at least V60, but would prefer V90. Canon said they use the UHS-II SD. So, should I just try to find a UHS-II SD or can another format work? I was reading that the cards can be reformatted, but I don't want to bother with it. Thank you to all you smart people with an answer, and Happy Forth to all.
scott

Upvote 0

Dragon

EF 800L f/5.6, RF 800 f/11
May 29, 2019
Oregon
I have a memory card question if anyone can help please.

I am anticipating the R5 arrival, and want to pick up an SD card. I noted that the spec is "UHS-II SD" I didn't realize that there are so many types of SD cards (SDXC, Extreme SDXC, SDHC, SDUC, etc.) and I know that for video I want at least V60, but would prefer V90. Canon said they use the UHS-II SD. So, should I just try to find a UHS-II SD or can another format work? I was reading that the cards can be reformatted, but I don't want to bother with it. Thank you to all you smart people with an answer, and Happy Forth to all.
scott
I am sure just about any SD card will work since SD is a backward compatible standard, but UHS II cards have extra connection pins with a higher speed bus so they are much faster. V90 is good, because that sets a high minimum write speed which will be needed for both high frame rates and video. BTW, the next SD card is SD Express which is standardized, but not available yet. It will have even more connections and be much faster than even UHS II. SDHC, SDXC, and SDUC only speak to the maximum capacity of the card and not the speed. Older devices cannot see the full capacity of cards that exceed the capacity of the type they were built to work with, but usually, they will operate with limited capacity. The basic rule is that all cards will work to their max speed and capacity in the latest device, but the latest cards will not work to speed or capacity in an older device and in some cases, they won't work at all.

Upvote 0

scottkinfw

Wildlife photography is my passion
CR Pro
I am sure just about any SD card will work since SD is a backward compatible standard, but UHS II cards have extra connection pins with a higher speed bus so they are much faster. V90 is good, because that sets a high minimum write speed which will be needed for both high frame rates and video. BTW, the next SD card is SD Express which is standardized, but not available yet. It will have even more connections and be much faster than even UHS II. SDHC, SDXC, and SDUC only speak to the maximum capacity of the card and not the speed. Older devices cannot see the full capacity of cards that exceed the capacity of the type they were built to work with, but usually, they will operate with limited capacity. The basic rule is that all cards will work to their max speed and capacity in the latest device, but the latest cards will not work to speed or capacity in an older device and in some cases, they won't work at all.
Thank you Dragon. So which card to buy? Will the R5 accept the new SD Express?

Upvote 0

Dragon

EF 800L f/5.6, RF 800 f/11
May 29, 2019
Oregon
Thank you Dragon. So which card to buy? Will the R5 accept the new SD Express?
An SD express card would probably work in UHS II mode if you could buy one, but they are not available yet and it would be no advantage over a UHS II card as that is the highest bus speed the camera supports in the SD slot. Also, SD Express cards will likely be priced pretty close to CF express cards at least to start. If you want to get the full capability of an R5 you will need a CF express card (and a reader).

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
An SD express card would probably work in UHS II mode if you could buy one, but they are not available yet and it would be no advantage over a UHS II card as that is the highest bus speed the camera supports in the SD slot. Also, SD Express cards will likely be priced pretty close to CF express cards at least to start. If you want to get the full capability of an R5 you will need a CF express card (and a reader).
All the current sdexpress cards we have specs for drop down to UHS-I, not UHS-II.

Upvote 0