Canon EOS R8 specifications

Feb 16, 2019
How can the A7C have a big battery then? Twice the capacity of the RPs in a similar or even smaller body? Sony even managed to fit IBIS.
You can certainly fit more into a small body if you maximise the space inside, resulting in cameras with sharp edges and uncomfortable to hold. RP is not much bigger than A7C, but it is lighter and much nicer to hold. The curvatures on the camera body means you can't fit more component inside.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

Deepboy

Headshot photographer
Jun 28, 2017
Italy
I did an event recently with my R6 (LP-E6NH) where I shot just over 7,000 frames in about 6 hours and had 50% of my battery left. I'm not sure CIPA is relevant to anything. Perhaps it's proportionally correct, but it's so far off from reality even that seems unlikely.

7000 is really A LOT :eek:
Yes I also think CIPA ratings are just nonsense to reality...but depends on camera and on usage.

With the R6 (around 18 months experience) I can shoot on average 3 to 4 times the CIPA rating, while with R10 (around 2 months experience) I can shoot on average no more then extra 20% over the CIPA rating; but R6 is used for prolonged sessions, while until now the R10 usage was more "pedestrian", I used more as a travel camera then in the studio, and so usage was like turn on, take 10/20 pictures, shut off, repeat again.

So I developed the idea that CIPA ratings are more precise with an amateur type of usage, so frequent turn on/off, and relatively reduced blocks of pictures in between, while during a pro usage, so you turn camera on, you shoot for 2/4/6 hours and you then turn off, you can squeeze much more frames then predicted...even if 7000 frames is quite frankly astonishing, I had that kind of level of 50% battery left after 6/8 hours only with the 6D at a wedding, but shots were around 1200/1500 (around same shots I can do with R6, but then the battery is empty, so basically I on average consume around double as the previous 6D).

In absolute terms i think I've never squeezed more then 2500 shots from a single LP-E6 even in the DSLR days (5D II and 6D), so 7.000 with a mirrorless is unbelievable, especially with just a 50% battery drain...

Upvote 0
Sep 17, 2014
Yes I also think CIPA ratings are just nonsense to reality...but depends on camera and on usage.

With the R6 (around 18 months experience) I can shoot on average 3 to 4 times the CIPA rating, while with R10 (around 2 months experience) I can shoot on average no more then extra 20% over the CIPA rating; but R6 is used for prolonged sessions, while until now the R10 usage was more "pedestrian", I used more as a travel camera then in the studio, and so usage was like turn on, take 10/20 pictures, shut off, repeat again.

So I developed the idea that CIPA ratings are more precise with an amateur type of usage, so frequent turn on/off, and relatively reduced blocks of pictures in between, while during a pro usage, so you turn camera on, you shoot for 2/4/6 hours and you then turn off, you can squeeze much more frames then predicted...even if 7000 frames is quite frankly astonishing, I had that kind of level of 50% battery left after 6/8 hours only with the 6D at a wedding, but shots were around 1200/1500 (around same shots I can do with R6, but then the battery is empty, so basically I on average consume around double as the previous 6D).

In absolute terms i think I've never squeezed more then 2500 shots from a single LP-E6 even in the DSLR days (5D II and 6D), so 7.000 with a mirrorless is unbelievable, especially with just a 50% battery drain...

Of course with mirrorless you can have anything between 0 shots and 1000's with one battery. CIPA ratings are just standardised measurements making it easier to compare different cameras but not really relevant in real life.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

knight427

CR Pro
Aug 27, 2018

7000 isn't just a lot, it is way too many.! I got trigger happy with 20 fps e-shutter. There were new groups to shoot every 30 min and I shot each group w/o stopping to process. I was up until 4am to get the photos posted and be ready for the next day with 2 hours sleep. I changed my whole approach and managed to keep photos down to 2500 over 8 hours the next day. The key was to just shoot a few min of a group, then process before the next group was up. Thankfully this was a volunteer gig, I would never have done all that for money.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

knight427

CR Pro
Aug 27, 2018
Of course with mirrorless you can have anything between 0 shots and 1000's with one battery. CIPA ratings are just standardised measurements making it easier to compare different cameras but not really relevant in real life.
I get that, in fact I write test standards with other experts in my industry (not photography). I find it frustrating b/c we make sure our test standards provide BOTH a fair A/B direct comparison AND data that is useful for real world application. From my perspective, CIPA wrote a bad standard and is too lazy to fix it.

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
"In-body image stabilization is not installed"
So, why you want video on it? It's useless.
I'm using my RP as a web camera. If r8 would be able to be recharged while it's turned on, it would be a good improvement. Currently, I need to plug the camera "into the wall" to make it hold a meeting for a several hours. So r8 could cover many points in my list:
- web camera, which could stream via usb-c, dunno what that means
- with all its video capabilities
- maybe but not necessarily, recharge while using it
- camera on everyday
- very light weight, which not a problem to carry 1675440103555.png

Last edited:
Upvote 0
"In-body image stabilization is not installed"
So, why you want video on it? It's useless.

"Where in the cinema world do you see in body image stabilization? It’s just not a thing."

"Having internal IBIS is going to increase the noise because of the heat. It’s just one more way to reduce noise in this camera."

"For high-end video work, Panasonic says its users would prefer to use dedicated gimbals and dollies, rather than internal stabilization, and that means physically locking the sensor in place to avoid unwanted interactions between these systems and a floating sensor.”

Upvote 0
Feb 16, 2019
IBIS is the main advantage of mirrorless cameras. Even smartphones have IBIS
IBIS is one of many advantages of mirrorless, but not the only one. I would say the most important advantage of mirrorless is the advancement in autofocus. Whether IBIS is important will depend on the type of lenses you want to use as a lot of Canon lenses have IS.

Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0

yankiefrankie

CR Pro
Sep 10, 2020
Indeed, and that's why I was hoping the R8 would be an M6II replacement since that would serve as a true backup camera. Most of my lenses are RF (the exceptions for travel would be the EF 11-24/4 and the TS-E 17). Still, for my travel needs an APS-C backup to a FF body is not a great option anyway. Most of my travel is urban and I'm on the wide end of the focal length range. Mounting lenses like the 14-35 or TS-E 17 on a crop body reduces their utility for me.

Instead, I think of them as separate, parallel systems. For the M6II, I use the M11-22 and M18-150 (and I bring the M22/2 for occasional indoor use) and that whole kit fits in a small bag or more commonly in separate small cases in a larger backpack with other stuff for the family (water, snacks, sunscreen, etc.) when I'm walking around cities with family during the day. When going out solo at golden/blue hours, I bring the FF kit in a dedicated backpack with a tripod. In that case, sharing batteries would be about the best overlap anyway.
I like the separate parallel system thing as well. In my case it was more of a one-off than a system. I bought an A7C + Tamron 20-40 f/2.8 to complement my R3 and multiple RF lenses. Spoiler: It is a brilliant combination.

I really like the idea of Canon making an A7C type camera in this R8. The compromises (maybe not lack of IBIS) IMHO are well worth it for the reduction in size. The BIGGEST problem with this approach is there are no decent lenses to pair with it. If you are going with the A7C/RP as a form factor, what lens do you put on it? The RF 35 has no weather sealing, and the focus is loud and slow (I owned it). The RF 24 has the same issue. If you want weather sealing and fast focus, you need at least the RF 24-105L. Although this is fairly compact on my R3, it is by no means compact on a A7C/RP size camera. Without a compact, fast focusing, weather sealed lens like the Tamron 20-40, I don't see the value of this R8. My two cents anyway.

Upvote 0

josephandrews222

Square Sensors + AI = Better Images
Jul 12, 2013
Midwest United States
French proverb: on ne peut avoir le beurre et l'argent du beurre.
(You can't have the butter and the money for the butter).
A compact shape could (will?) lead to a compact battery.
I've had the good fortune to occasionally visit the US states of Vermont (home of Ben & Jerry's Ice Cream and proud VT dairy farmers) and Wisconsin (sometimes known as America's Dairyland or something like that). Great dairy products from VT and WI both.

I have visited France exactly once. For one week.

That one week was enough for me to proclaim the following: the butter in France is unsurpassed. My oh my...I'm not a 'foodie' but the butter in France is to die for. (I know there are Germans who read CR. Fire away!).

=====

As for even more 'innovation' from Canon and R/RF...

In the United States, for at least a couple of decades, Best Buy was and remains (probably) the #1 home electronics etc. retailer. There are currently more than 1,000 Best Buy locations in the USA.

Until the past few years, virtually every Best Buy store had prominent camera displays, including literally dozens of point-and-shoot models, and, for Canon's ILCs, everything from the lowest Rebels through at least the XXD models...and occasionally a 7D (5D?) could be found. A handful of lenses were in stock as well (no L lenses, I think), along with batteries, camera bags and consumer-grade tripods. For the past several years, M format gear was present as well.

Last month I spent a few hours in Best Buy stores in the St. Louis MO and Chicago IL metropolitan areas. To no one's surprise, things have changed as far as camera and photography offerings are concerned.

Specifically, the line of demarcation between standard Best Buy stores and Best Buy 'Magnolia' stores has additional significance for CR readers in that the Best Buy store closest to where my mother-in-law resides (in suburban Chicago), last month, had GoPro cameras in stock...but no other standalone cameras. None. This very location, 5-10 years ago, had it all as far as APS-C Canon ILCs and lenses etc, to say nothing of Canon point-and-shoots. There are no camera lenses for sale at this location, a 'standard' Best Buy store.

The Best Buy Magnolia stores are the 'high-end' BB retail outlets...and these stores do have Canon ILCs in stock and on display (along with 'real' home theater showrooms etc). My sense of things is that the standard Best Buy stores outnumber the Magnolia versions by at least 4 to 1 nationwide...in Chicago's western and northwestern suburbs, the BB website lists 15 store locations. Of those 15 locations, camera lenses are in stock (in numbers more than one or two) at exactly two stores. I presume these are classified as Magnolia stores.

The point is this: 5-10 years ago Canon was everywhere at Best Buy (jeepers I haven't even mentioned camcorders). Now they are not. Most Best Buy stores do not have Canon ILCs displayed and do not have Canon in stock. This is the USA retail world that Canon sees in the US today...when they have how many R models? Including the R7 APS-C and the R8 full-frame (I may have this wrong, but the poster here who says this isn't confusing never taught organic chemistry ;)).

=====

I spoke at length with the store manager at my mother-in-law's Best Buy. He was highly informative--the BB Magnolia store in Schaumburg IL (not his store), during the holiday season, can move product at the rate of a million dollars a day. His own store does not match that. One-third of his store is big-screen TVs...and one-third computers. Significantly, Apple has a real presence in most if not all of Best Buy's retail outlets (including his). I mention that because Canon, with its restrictive R lens policy, is sort of trying to mimic Apple--not a bad model (perhaps).

It turns out that Sony's fabulously-sounding soundbar/subwoofer/(wireless) surround package (approaching 2K in cost) is fantastic when auditioning the Sony 'test tape'...but works best with Sony's own TVs!

The store manager demo-ed the Sony soundbar after I asked him about the lack of home audio gear in his store. Like camera gear, his store's in-stock home audio offerings are slim. I recall the days when an entire wall of receivers/AV receivers was complemented by literally dozens of speakers...mostly two-channel. There is but one side of a short aisle at his Best Buy stocke with A/V receivers and floor-standing speakers...things change.

The camera market is constantly changing, too. Inspection of the Canon gear in the signature below reveals my Canon tendencies and speaks for itself.

But that does not mean that I believe that Canon never makes mistakes. They do. Their foray into consumer-level desktop wide-format (13x19) dye printers, judging by the years-long giveaway of the PIXMA Pro-100 and unbelievable year-end giveaways of the 13x19 paper that fits those printers, suggests that they manufactured thousands (tens of thousands!?) more printers (and paper) than they could sell.

And it appears that their foray into whatever the M/EF-M market is called...that was a failure, too. If it wasn't they would keep it going.

What I find curious is that some who post here, some really really smart people, post their views that seem to come from a place where a necessary assumption is that Canon never makes mistakes. And they can be quite nasty in tone.

Seems like an odd perspective, a foolish perspective, on a rumor site that is supposed to be fun.

My two cents. Back to packing my gear for an upcoming trip. My M gear...and one EF lens.

=====

A postscript of sorts: MicroCenter is another US-based retail chain that, years ago, had a full range of Canon ILC gear...including 5Ds and L lenses. I visited a St. Louis-area MicroCenter in December 2022--not a camera in the store (except for GoPros). I wonder where unsophisticated US first-time camera buyers will be able to get their hands on new Rs.

Upvote 0