Canon EOS RP Specifications [CR1]

Sep 26, 2018
I’d love to see a joystick as well but it’s higly unlikely.. a wheel instead of the 4 direction pad would be good though

Unfortunately I think there's zero chance that there's better controls on the RP than the R if it's cheaper... The joystick especially was always reserved for "Pro" cameras, even the 6D series didn't get one.

I'm honestly surprised that the R didn't have a wheel as well as the D-pad (given the 6D/80D and even 77D had it), but I really doubt they'll suddenly add it for a cheaper model.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Or he can go buy the 2013 a7. :rolleyes: The better question is why the heck are there a7 from nearly 6 years ago still on the shelf new?

Well, if it's sub-$800 it's still a pretty good deal and an excellent way of having an entry-level model. And then there's the matter of design. The original A7 is more appealing than the later models and the ergonomics are good enough for small lenses and casual use.

Upvote 0
If it shoots 120fps at 1080 also, put me down for one.

It's Canon right? Better don't put you hopes too high - 60 fps at 1080 and slightly revamped 6DII sensor, if at all. Still the overal specs and pricing look almost too good to be true.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Aussie shooter

https://brettguyphotography.picfair.com/
Dec 6, 2016
brettguyphotography.picfair.com
120fps@1080, 240fps@540, 420fps@270, 840fps@135... who cares if it's really a FF camera at just $1300? But I don't believe it'll be priced this low. Not only it'll destroy Canon's rivals, but will likely hurt Canon themselves, it can't be profitable.

If it's point is to get people in to Canon FF mirrorless then even if they sell it at a break even price it would be a long term profitably concept. Once they get into the system then they buy lenses and more expensive bodies down the track

Upvote 0
If the sensor is better than a 6Dmk2 particularly in low light/high iso then I will definitely be interested at that price point. Assuming once VAT is factored in this is £1300 it will tempt me into FF. I couldn’t go 28-70 f2 but I would go for something like a 24-70 f2.8 ii. I will have to think about the 18-35 f1.8 I currently have and see if I get into filming with the camera. It is a perfect lens for that but unless I get into filming I will have to sell it. At the moment the EOS R and particularly the 28-70 is too much and I don’t want to use a lower performance lens than my 18-35 as that is fantastic, like several primes rolled into one.

Upvote 0

Aussie shooter

https://brettguyphotography.picfair.com/
Dec 6, 2016
brettguyphotography.picfair.com
To rumored specs: please keep talking :)
I do wish it comes in a range-finder format with a touch of style and with kit lenses that are priced right. That would be attractive for M owners.
I think canon prefers functionality over style. Canon cameras are for photographers, not fashionistas.

Upvote 0
On reflection, if the weight is true then it's highly likely to be smaller overall, held back in some way and have a smaller battery. One that you'll need to buy several of and in turn, bring the buy in cost of the camera up to around the same as the EOS R.

If those specs are true then I'll expect a firmware release next week enabling some of the features (eye detect in servo) on the R

Upvote 0
It's Canon right? Better don't put you hopes too high - 60 fps at 1080 and slightly revamped 6DII sensor, if at all. Still the overal specs and pricing look almost too good to be true.
True. But I remember when the 80D was released and I was astonished they actually upgraded to 60 fps at 1080 instead of 720. You're probably right, but it would be awesome if they did give us 120fps at 1080.

Upvote 0
Oct 26, 2013
On reflection, if the weight is true then it's highly likely to be smaller overall, held back in some way and have a smaller battery. One that you'll need to buy several of and in turn, bring the buy in cost of the camera up to around the same as the EOS R.

Seriously? You would have to buy more than 15 batteries to get the cost of the camera up to around the same as the R. In my experience with mirrorless, you buy 1 or 2 extra batteries no matter what model.

Upvote 0

Hector1970

CR Pro
Mar 22, 2012
It’s hard for me to put myself in the shoes of say a ApS-C shooter waiting to purchase a full frame and the option of an entry level mirrorless full frame pops up with specs similar to a 6DII but more expensive but cheaper than an R.
Would I buy it?
I think not but Canon must reckon many would.
I’d buy a 6DII as the battery life if it’s M50 battery would not be good. If it’s small format I’d say you’d have a better balance with lens with the 6DII. R lens are expensive to date . I’m sure cheaper ones will come.
I can’t see the new camera being “cheap” initially.
It will be interesting if this camera will be very successful. It could be but I think if the reviews are bad it could be a dud.
Maybe Canon can produce a good but basic camera that sells really well. This is their goal I suppose.

Upvote 0
Seriously? You would have to buy more than 15 batteries to get the cost of the camera up to around the same as the R. In my experience with mirrorless, you buy 1 or 2 extra batteries no matter what model.

Depends where you buy though right?

Currently I can get the EOS R for 1369 GBP
This would make the RP about a grand on import.

LP-E6 batteries are around 60GBP so a few extra batteries and we aren't far off.

Upvote 0

Lee Jay

EOS 7D Mark II
Sep 22, 2011
Probably $800 with printer rebate by next holiday sale.

If it were $500, I'd have to consider it carefully, since my only use for it is on my telescope. At $800, I'm a definite no way.

The problem I'm trying to solve is that my scope's widest settings combined with my 7D Mark II doesn't result in the moon fitting in the frame, so I have to shoot panoramas during lunar eclipse events. Also, my 7DII doesn't have an articulating display making it pretty hard to use in some positions when the scope is on the mount and looking up. But that's the only problem I'm trying to solve. I've considered solving it with a smaller scope, which I can get for about $399. But I'm not that fond of RCs and my current scope has almost four times the light collection area so I'd rather just have a larger sensor. I still have my old 5D but the sensor isn't the best and the big problem is that it doesn't have live view so it's really, really hard to focus. No articulating display also.

But how much am I willing to spend to make shooting lunar eclipse shots easier? Not that much, especially when I got this with my 5D and my current scope. It's not easy to beat this.

5D_57776.jpg

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Just a week before the official release, CR2 rumour of EOS R listed this for $1990.

- EOS R body •28MP full frame sensor •Dual Pixel Auto Focus •IBIS (In Body Image Stabilisation) •10fps shooting
•4k@30fps •1080p@60fps

Just sayin...

Please don't say things like that... You are really spoiling the fun

Last edited:
Upvote 0