Canon EOS RP Specifications & Images

Mar 20, 2015
That the 6d mk2 can capture great photos is not the question. The original 5d can.

I don't really understand all the hatred. I'd consider this as an upgrade when my 1Ds3 finally dies. Certainly the ISO performance would be a massive improvement. No point talking about switching to Sony or Panasonic when all my lenses are EF.

I think people on this site are in the upper quartile of income and forget that most amateur photographers struggle to spend $1000 on a camera. Even the ancient second-hand 5D2 is a popular seller on eBay UK. Anything that gets a decent FF sensor into amateur hands is good.

Last edited:
Reactions: 9 users
Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
The Canon Rumors post only states it looks like these are the confirmed specifications for the upcoming Canon EOS RP, so I assume the posted image isn't 100% guaranteed to be the final product either. If everything stated is correct however it does back up my suspicion regarding the lack of space on it's rear for a EVF and 3.2 inch LCD (3.0 inch is stated)
Yes, the stated specs are the actual specs (with actual product images), they are just not complete yet...

Upvote 0
The Canon Rumors post only states it looks like these are the confirmed specifications for the upcoming Canon EOS RP, so I assume the posted image isn't 100% guaranteed to be the final product either. If everything stated is correct however it does back up my suspicion regarding the lack of space on it's rear for a EVF and 3.2 inch LCD (3.0 inch is stated)
There's a picture of the EVF in the post on the attached images (it's clearly visible from the back). It definitely has an EVF. Also, Canon Rumors got the information and images from Nokishita, and I'm struggling to think of the last time they were wrong on something like this. I think you can bet that the post is correct at this point.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
Lol you guys, wait until we see what the files are like. I'm envious of that mode dial.
It is pretty easy to get 6D II raw files from the internet, apart from using the new CR3 raw format, maybe they've changed the colors a little bit, but overall it is going to be very similar (it may have more banding when the shadows are really pushed to the extremes which the EOS R does in comparison to the 5D IV, but overall they are very similar as well).

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
You realize it was a lackluster camera back in 2017. It's 2019 now so it is even worse now by today's standards. It could the worst brand new full frame camera this year and beyond.

Depends on your needs I guess; I wanted the smallest FF Canon dslr so it met my needs perfectly. I didn't consider it lacklustre in 2017 & now in 2019 it's still the same - hasn't got any worse ;) To me the glass you put on the camera is more important.

Having said that, out of the original R and the new RP, I'll probably get the original R. Hopefull once the RP is out, the prices for the R may start dropping a little.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
It is pretty easy to get 6D II raw files from the internet, apart from using the new CR3 raw format, maybe they've changed the colors a little bit, but overall it is going to be very similar (it may have more banding when the shadows are really pushed to the extremes which the EOS R does in comparison to the 5D IV, but overall they are very similar as well).

That's assuming it is exactly the same sensor. This hasn't been confirmed. No matter how likely.

Upvote 0
Sep 29, 2012
did we determine the battery here?...
I would like to have std batteries...
from 5 series..
but I believe it is too (physically) small ... to be that ...

a standard battery
would add this to a lot of bags..
especially if it IS $1300.....

///
update:
AND a free or... nearly-free EOS converter
(I assume my late-model tamron and sigma will work fully via an EOS converter)

I guess the weight confirms it is a small battery..
well maybe it is an efficient camera system,.. and that's enough...sigh

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
That's assuming it is exactly the same sensor. This hasn't been confirmed. No matter how likely.
The EOS R has a similar sensor to the older 5D IV but the more basic model gets a completely new sensor which is as good as the higher-end model. Makes total sense, knowing how Canon clearly does not like to differentiate all of its models - and spending as much on R&D as they can to reduce profits...

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Sep 29, 2012
I don't fully understand the ugly comments - this looks fine to me, albeit clearly aimed at the consumer. Slightly baffled by the lack of top LCD screen though. I'd have thought that would be a bare minimum feature??
yes... when it hangs on a strap.. you NEED to see that info..

just too little space .. is why...IMO

Upvote 0