Canon is gearing up to finally release a high megapixel camera with 100+ megapixels [CR3]

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
That depends on what an R1 is. Historically, people who want ultra high resolution don't need extremely rugged cameras. They just don't tend to abuse or buy them. Look at the history of the Canon 1Ds3 and Nikon D3x.
Nature photographers love rugged high resolution cameras to get extra reach while out in the wild.

Reactions: 9 users
Upvote 0
I don
Nature photographers love rugged high resolution cameras to get extra reach while out in the wild.
Absolutely agreed - I do a lot of landscape photography while hiking and camping and I'll take all the ruggedization I can get. I've been using a 5DIV and anecdotally I have seen plenty of camera failures from other people shooting with me, but so far I've been lucky enough to avoid it. I'm firmly in the potential buyer camp for this, but if it has less ruggedization than a 5D IV then I'm probably not buying in. My nightmare is having a failure on day 3/10 of a big hike and having no way to replace the body. That peace of mind is worth a higher price point to me. I'm just hopeful this won't be a gripped body as the size and weight becomes a different issue then.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
I don’t agree. Canon creates enough buzz and things to talk about with one camera. As with the R3, add hundreds of development announcements (at least it feels like it) and teaser, and they’re the talk of the town for months…

Why should they take the publics focus of one camera by introducing two at one time? Canons marketing would not let that happen.
They have deviated from that in the past though - the R5 and R6 were launched together as were R7 / R10, and m6II / 90D to name a few. I think when there is reason to announce two bodies together (i.e. similar bodies that could arguably be cross-shopped) they have been less weary of announcing two at a time. If their plan is to go back to a top-end line divided between high resolution and high frame rate I could see them announcing them together.

With that said, it could also be the "jack of all trades and best at everything" R1 of rumors past - meaning there is only one camera to announce. It's all speculation at this point though.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

H. Jones

Photojournalist
Aug 1, 2014
I don’t understand the need to crop in camera? Wouldn’t cropping in post have the same result plus the ability to choose a variety of post capture compositions? I’d rather do it in post. I have the R5 and forgot it has the ability to crop in camera because I’ve never thought to use it. I’m primarily a portrait photographer though.

Bigger buffer, smaller filesize means less memory used, easier to compose the shots the way you'd actually like them at 17mp. There's several reasons I'm a big fan of having crop mode. I have it mapped to a button on the back of the camera so that I can quickly snap between 1.6x crop and full frame if my subject gets close enough for full frame to be useful.
A lot of times when I'm photographing wildlife or breaking news, you're just so far away from the subject that you'd be wasting quite literally dozens of gigabytes on empty space. It's a lot faster and easier when you're in crop mode to cull 2000 images of a distant subject at 17mp than have to hassle with 2,000 45mp images that only are using a small portion of the frame.

If we're talking about a 120mp camera, that's going to be a *serious* difference in filesize. That's easily saving hundreds of gigabytes of empty space and making the buffer far more usable, no matter what the buffer is.

Add to that, it's easier to find smaller subjects in the frame at 1.6x and easier to keep a focus point over a bigger subject in the viewfinder than trying to use even the spot focus point on a tiny subject.

It doesn't make sense for a lot of people to use, but for the times when a 1.6x crop camera makes sense to begin with, it definitely has its place. I personally enjoy the ability to use the camera as a full frame 45mp camera, and then in the instances when I need the reach, turn it into a 1.6x crop camera.

Reactions: 12 users
Upvote 0

Bob Howland

CR Pro
Mar 25, 2012
Absolutely agreed - I do a lot of landscape photography while hiking and camping and I'll take all the ruggedization I can get. I've been using a 5DIV and anecdotally I have seen plenty of camera failures from other people shooting with me, but so far I've been lucky enough to avoid it. I'm firmly in the potential buyer camp for this, but if it has less ruggedization than a 5D IV then I'm probably not buying in. My nightmare is having a failure on day 3/10 of a big hike and having no way to replace the body. That peace of mind is worth a higher price point to me. I'm just hopeful this won't be a gripped body as the size and weight becomes a different issue then.
So are you saying that the build of an R5 would be good enough and the build of the R3, complete of the gripped body, would be too much? Because that's what I believe, especially if we're talking about a 100MP FF sensor. That's also where the market has been since the 5D2 and Nikon D800.

Upvote 0
So are you saying that the build of an R5 would be good enough and the build of the R3, complete of the gripped body, would be too much? Because that's what I believe, especially if we're talking about a 100MP FF sensor. That's also where the market has been since the 5D2 and Nikon D800.
I don't disagree with you. I don't own an R5 but under the premise that its weather resistance is equivalent to a 5D IV, I'd be satisfied with that as I haven't gone past what my 5DIV can manage despite several full-on soakings. With that said, I wouldn't complain if it had R3-equivalent weather sealing (if there was no grip), however, and I'd be open to paying more for it. Obviously weather sealing is somewhat difficult to quantify independently, until you realize you don't have enough of it. For instance, I have no way of knowing if my gear could have taken worse soakings/sand blastings than I have given it or if I've just been lucky and already gone past what's reasonable for the camera. Regardless, my use has shown that the 5D series sealing has thus far been sufficient for my needs.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
I don

I'm paranoid about equipment failure and take at least two of everything with me on safaris etc. It helps that my wife also enjoys taking nature photos so we have two sets of lenses, bodies, chargers, cables etc. Hikes are a different matter if you are carrying everything on your back. These R bodies are so small and light that if you can afford it you can take two with you.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

navastronia

R6 x2 (work) + 5D Classic (fun)
Aug 31, 2018
Bigger buffer, smaller filesize means less memory used, easier to compose the shots the way you'd actually like them at 17mp. There's several reasons I'm a big fan of having crop mode. I have it mapped to a button on the back of the camera so that I can quickly snap between 1.6x crop and full frame if my subject gets close enough for full frame to be useful.
A lot of times when I'm photographing wildlife or breaking news, you're just so far away from the subject that you'd be wasting quite literally dozens of gigabytes on empty space. It's a lot faster and easier when you're in crop mode to cull 2000 images of a distant subject at 17mp than have to hassle with 2,000 45mp images that only are using a small portion of the frame.

If we're talking about a 120mp camera, that's going to be a *serious* difference in filesize. That's easily saving hundreds of gigabytes of empty space and making the buffer far more usable, no matter what the buffer is.

Add to that, it's easier to find smaller subjects in the frame at 1.6x and easier to keep a focus point over a bigger subject in the viewfinder than trying to use even the spot focus point on a tiny subject.

It doesn't make sense for a lot of people to use, but for the times when a 1.6x crop camera makes sense to begin with, it definitely has its place. I personally enjoy the ability to use the camera as a full frame 45mp camera, and then in the instances when I need the reach, turn it into a 1.6x crop camera.

This won't be a popular opinion, but I just started using the crop mode on my EOS RP to get more mileage out of my primes, since I don't own any zooms at this time. Even at 10 MP, it's enough for my work, and it's quite helpful.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
I'm paranoid about equipment failure and take at least two of everything with me on safaris etc. It helps that my wife also enjoys taking nature photos so we have two sets of lenses, bodies, chargers, cables etc. Hikes are a different matter if you are carrying everything on your back. These R bodies are so small and light that if you can afford it you can take two with you.
Good choice for safari I'd think. I've long debated taking a second body and with R series cameras I'd consider it in the right scenario, though admittedly cost will become an important factor in that decision-making. I think with a high-resolution body as the main camera, and for the backup a lower cost, light weight (but takes the same battery/mount as the main camera) body would suit my need. I'd likely only use the high resolution body, but having a second would ease some stress, and maybe facilitate the odd time lapse while shooting something else. I'd even considered an M6II with an adapter as a backup to my 5DIV, but the different battery would be the kicker.

With that said, I have a friend who always has two bodies and only one is really every used by him. I've watched him loan that backup out no less than 4 times in the last 12 months to other people experiencing one issue or another. Two A7RIV failures, one D850 falling off a tripod and into a lake, and one D810 with moisture in the body. I'm not sure if it's ever saved his bacon, but there are a number of other thankful photographers out there for him carrying a backup!

Upvote 0
Jan 30, 2020
I don’t agree. Canon creates enough buzz and things to talk about with one camera. As with the R3, add hundreds of development announcements (at least it feels like it) and teaser, and they’re the talk of the town for months…

Why should they take the publics focus of one camera by introducing two at one time? Canons marketing would not let that happen.
Well they did announce the R5 and R6 together, as well as the R7 and R10 so there is precedent.

Upvote 0

Dragon

EF 800L f/5.6, RF 800 f/11
May 29, 2019
Oregon
The idea is that in crop mode smaller files recorded, meaning an effectively bigger buffer and maintenance of a faster frame rate for a longer time. The camera has to support that, though.
The readout is also faster. Hence the R5 can record downsampled 4k/60P in crop mode. For wildlife, it is a tradeoff. The crop mode has smaller files and potentially a faster frame rate, but also harder to keep the bird in the frame.

Upvote 0

Sharlin

CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
Turku, Finland
True, and it does have some advantages. However, I like the wider field of view of FF and can't be bothered to use crop mode but I should do.
It occurs to me that a FF mirrorless with a crop mode could optionally support viewfinder images that are neither 100% sensor coverage nor the exact cropped frame but something inbetween, so you'd get both some magnification and some context of what's happening just outside the frame.

Upvote 0
Jul 27, 2021
So, will Canon market it as a "Medium Format" camera? Or simply a high resolution camera to replace it's former high res offerings. Interesting. 2023 looks to be rather interesting year.
Medium Format is a sensor larger than full frame plus Fuji’s GFX system has the ability to shoot up 14 and 16bit images which gives the RAW files a lot more colour information.

Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
Even if you think bigger is better, 120mp might be the equivalent of the Tijuana donkey.

400% crops and viewing billboards for detail 5' away would be a good use. When is enough, enough?
If there is sufficient *demand* for an ultra hi-res camera, you can bet that Canon (etc) will meet that demand.

But I doubt very much whether there are many of us who actually *need* 100MP.

A few maybe, but not many, IMO.

Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
So, will Canon market it as a "Medium Format" camera? Or simply a high resolution camera to replace it's former high res offerings. Interesting. 2023 looks to be rather interesting year. Let hope Canon doesn't ruin it with a cheap crappy LCD on the rear of it.
Nope. It will be marketed as FF.

To justify the "MF" tag, it would need to have a larger sensor.

And a larger sensor would require another complete line of lenses...

Upvote 0