Canon Mirrorless Far Off?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 30, 2010
The following is a Google translated version: (Camera has been translated into Aircraft)
(some Translation are off, but we can guess what it really mean)
- If you want to focus on shooting video, I propose that it may approach another new system camera mirror-less machine.

For mirror-less aircraft, a method for me to meet the needs of miniaturized and have been answered one way I think. Improvements from the list Refukamerayuza SLR, it will always rise above smaller and lighter. Apart from the presence of the mirror, in a compact camera, but we all thoroughly, and for certain demographic, demand has not been yet. Is at once respond to the needs and potential of these smaller, less I think it mirrors the current system of aircraft. As long as interchangeable lenses, it is assumed that the performance drop of as a camera, possibly with the assumption of mirror-less, technology development has been conducted.

What plans there are commercialized?

If you make a machine inside the mirror-less Canon shall not have this much performance and functionality, we believe that a clear distinction. Comes out the possibility of product performance is clear that if asked, can not clear at this time.

Performance in it will mean to you?

The basic speed of auto focus, response operations, Rerizuragu, EVF or delay the appearance of taste, is comprehensive. SLR cameras are using and comfortable, fast and feels just like I think it is important to use comfortably.

Upvote 0
U

unexposure

dilbert said:
Never put a compact camera in your pocket?
Never bought a small, snug, camera sized camera case for a compact camera?
Never bought one of those plastic stick on covers for your iPhone/iPad?

There are a lot of options for protecting the LCD screen on the back if you're that concerned about it and none of them would be an obstacle to putting the camera in a pocket.

btw, if you have issues with phone & keys being in the same pocket, buy a jacket/whatever with more than one pocket.
I usually keep my phone in the right front-pocket of my pants. my keys goes there, too. on the left front pocket I carry my cigarettes, lighter and an usb-stick. the rear-right pocket is reserved for the money bag. only free bag would be rear-left - but putting some device in there would be pretty unclever, since it surely would break if I'd sit down. ;-)

Some words on protection-screens: I personally don't like em. I had sticked a pretty expensive "plastic-glass" (don't know the right word) on the rear of a t1i. One day last summer, the glueing loosened by the heat and the glue ran allover the display-screen and parts of the camera-plastics, ruining the whole back of the cam. something similar happend with a foil-based protective for an older mobilephone.
This makes me use this sort of things never ever again - and considering this - 60d flipscreen REALLY makes sense to me. :-D

and yes, I do own an ixus digital. I do put it in my pocket. I protect it by stuffing it in a old childrens-sock.

You're worried about the a lens that doesn't exist for a camera that doesn't yet exist? So if the camera that doesn't exist comes to exist, surely the lens that also doesn't exist could also then exist?
Point taken.

on the other hand, the statement, that mirrorless might not be selling so good isn't true. Mirrorless sells extremly well.
This must be a lie because they're not cheap enough for people to prefer them over bottom rung DSLRs.
40% Buying interest, as stated by Kakaku, about 20% actually buying it, according to a pretty current bcnranking-analysis found here.
People seem to not take the mirrorless cams over the "common" entry-level dslr, but all added up together, it's a pretty big market-share. as it's said on a press-review of the kakaku-statement, the market for mirrorless is growing but not really grabbing, which means, that on the one hand, you've got the classical dslr-market, where canon and nikon are the clear leaders - but the market doesn't really grow. On the other hand, theres the Niche of mirrorless exploding in growth which lets the whole market grow. the "new" customers find themselfes counted in this market-part.

And if the growth of mirrorless-market goes on exploding this way, i'd say in about 2 years at least, we'll nearly see a 60/40-share of the market.

Upvote 0
G

goodmane

I agree it would be nice to see a decent, preferably low cost pancake from canon, both for mirrorless and for eos.

Years ago I borrowed the Canon 70-300 DO (diffractive optics) lens. It's not that bad, and if they could pull off a tiny 28-70 DO for a mirrorless camera with good micro-contrast and colors, that would interest me.

Alternatively if Canon were to simply upgrade the G series to APS-C keeping a fixed lens of 35-70mm equiv, and include a large viewfinder like the old film compacts, that would be awesome, and also pretty retro in a non-rangefinder way! I would definitely buy such a camera.

Upvote 0
J

Justin

I kind of think Canon is going to be too late to the party to make it theirs. Panasonic will have a third GF series out by then if not a fourth. GH-2 is looking promising. The exception will be if Canon can make improvements in terms of speed, then I think it may be successful. Otherwise why enter this market? If Canon are going to enter they better do it soon. I tried m43 with the original Pen and found it lacking so I returned it. I'm getting close to hopping to Panasonic, just need a GF-3. I know I'm not alone. I wish Canon would go upmarket instead and give us a modular system.

That new Kodak CCD 29 mpx sensor seems mighty interesting.

Upvote 0
Jul 30, 2010
dilbert said:
Ummmm, I don't think that anyone else but you is thinking that Sony's DSLR with the APS-C sensor is the type of mirror-less camera that this thread is about.

Dilbert, You Just have made up your own conclusion. In all the discusion, I have never mention anything about Sony mirrorless DSLR. The example that I have quoted is the Sony NEX-5. ( the Sony mirrorless with abig lens)We are all talking about the same group of cameras.

Upvote 0
U

unexposure

dilbert said:
This makes me use this sort of things never ever again - and considering this - 60d flipscreen REALLY makes sense to me. :-D
Now I'd like to see you get that in your pants pocket!
Haha, nice try... as I'm using bg-e9, putting this cam in the pants pocket would be like squeezing a bus through the front door of a house. ;-)

What I was referring to, was that "protective plastic" won't touch a display of mine anymore. And in this way, I'm pretty glad, that the display of 60d has some build-in protection when it has to struggle around with pencils, ballpens and loads of other tiny stuff flying around in the bag. I usually don't have the time to sort everything up right when I'm doing my job. Cameras are pretty much tools that I use, but a broken Display makes it a much more unworthy tool.
And that would be another point for me (personally) to not buy a tiny mirrorless: they don't seem sturdy enough for me, regarding build quality. Sure, rebel-models are far way off to be tanks like 1-series or even xxD or 7d BUT they deliver a higher "durability feeling" than, nex-5 or pen-e models - however, nx10 might be an exeption from this rule, since it really looks sturdy.

and yes, I do own an ixus digital. I do put it in my pocket. I protect it by stuffing it in a old childrens-sock.
I hope it is a clean sock!
Sure, it's a "Protective Allweather-Sports-Sock of ultra Cleanliness Supreme" my Grandma produces them and sells them to Canon which wrap some nice Nylon around em, and print their Logo onto the final product which is in fact a giveaway in addition to the L-Series Lenses, known as Lens-Pouch. Now as you know the truth, go check your L-Lens-Pouch and see on yourself if it smells/isn't clean! :-D

60% being...? and 40% being...?
60 percent being the mirrorless, killing big parts of the low-end dslr when availability and price have reached a more consumer-friendly limit.

Don't get me wrong, this is my personal prediction - but for the casual very-amateur that isn't satisfied with p&s, it's a pretty convincing argument to not have to carry around kilos of weight to take pretty much high-end pictures.

I also see p&s in general beeing a slightly disappearing market-segment. Mobile phones will sooner or later nearly completely take over this part - image quality of iphone, sony-ericsson phones and the latest nokias must be scary for the big p&s providers.
I guess, in a few years, the only ones really buying a dslr will be either professionals or very enthusiast amateurs - the same thing that goes on with canons product alignment. have some very amateur dslr (rebel) at a low price to have time, developing a good concept for evil-style-cams as a whole new segment. parallel to that create some high-quality p&s to get the customers buying, that aren't satisfied with what their phone currently can do. deliver one serios-amateur camera which is an allrounder (60d) and set the new entry-level for professionals one step lower (7d, 5d), while on the other end, setting it one step up (mf perhaps?).

Nikon's doing pretty similar, currently having d3100 as entry level, then d7000 and then again, only some higher priced models.
The difference to canon is, that nikon seems to having dropped the d5000 part of their product line as some "filler" in between d3100 and d7000 and canon has dropped rebel xs (1000d) making their xxxD-line the new very-low-end.

But, as I said, these are my personal thoughts about this. There's nothing I can prove about this, it's just guessing.

Upvote 0
There are two types of Non-DSLR interchangeable lens cameras.
1) Sony Nex, Olympus Pen and Panasonic GF1/GF2 are interchangeable lens P&S cameras.

2) Panasonic G/GH cameras with EVF. This is the only true mirror-less cameras.

If you need a zoom lens, no m4/3 or APS-C camera will be pocketable. Want a pocketable camera use a pancake prime like the Panasonic 20mm f1.7.

Upvote 0
Jul 30, 2010
May be I should jump into the 'crystal ball" business also. 5 years from now on, entry level of point and shoot will disappear. (replaced by smart phone). Mirrorless (EVIL) and entry level DSLR (APS-C) will survive and doing well. Evil type get a lot cheaper and better (another reason for the entry level P & S to disappear). Picture quality of APS-C sensor DSLR will rival the FF of 2010. Mid-range DSLR (like 7D etc) will perish, due to too much overlapping in function with entry level DSLR and high price. Professional DSLR will survive as FF only due to faster processor and faster frame rate. APS-H will not be needed for speed. As for MF, the market share will shrink due to the improvement of the FF professional DSLR

Upvote 0
Jul 30, 2010
Gothmoth said:
olympus has mirrorless cameras and is suffering.

http://www.43rumors.com/panasonic-and-olympus-financial-reports-making-less-money-with-cameras/

with the current technology only amateurs would buy a mirrorless "DSLR".

it´s not about being the first but doing it right.
i can easily wait until canon does it RIGHT.
Dilbert,
That just prove my point #1. (Are mirrorless really making money??)

Upvote 0
M

michael

I realize it's not a DSLR but one of Canon's early attempts at a mirror-less camera was the Canon Pro1. The Pro 1 even came with a built in L lens.

At one time it was around $800.00, squarely in the mid price point for DSLR's today.

However is was very slow, had a hard time focusing, the shutter lag was/is nerve rackingly slow. Sure cameras have come a long way since 2004 but in many ways this was a great first attempt.

Here are the details from a review site. http://www.shuttertalk.com/articles/canonpro1

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.