Canon Profits Drop 16% in Second Quarter

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
neuroanatomist said:
Canon needs a new business model. They should start charging for their Image Gateway, then subsidize camera purchases with a signed 2-year subscription contract.

;D

What they really need to do is drop raw for dng. Yeah...that's the ticket. :)

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Doom and Gloom! When I start seeing massive operating losses, then I'd worry. Let's not forget that profits are counted after all costs... including capital investments and R&D. A drop in profits does not always tell the whole story. Exchange rates have some to do with this too. Canon is not in trouble. Their P&S line might be, but otherwise things are fine. Sony? Ha!

Upvote 0
CanonFanBoy said:
Doom and Gloom! When I start seeing massive operating loses, then I'd worry. Let's not forget that profits are counted after all costs... including capital investments and R&D. A drop in profits does not always tell the whole story. Exchange rates have some to do with this too. Canon is not in trouble. Their P&S line might be, but otherwise things are fine. Sony? Ha!

This.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Upon taking into consideration these foreign exchange rate assumptions and the current economic forecast,
Canon projects full-year consolidated net sales in 2015 of ¥3,860.0 billion, a year on year increase of 3.6%;
operating profit of ¥380.0 billion, a year on year increase of 4.5%; income before income taxes of ¥390.0
billion, a year on year increase of 1.8%; and net income attributable to Canon Inc. of ¥255.0 billion, a year on
year increase of 0.1%.

http://www.canon.com/ir/results/2015/rslt2015q1e.pdf

One quarter means nothing. If the quality of my lenses and speedlites and camera mean anything... Canon is very healthy.

Upvote 0
Don't forget that the best camera you're shooting with is the available one. 90 % of the people don't care for the quality of the image - they just need something to shoot with and that is the phone from the pocket. Everybody knows how difficult is to deal with 1-2 bodies and a bunch of big and heavy lenses - handful of people are willing to do this in the name to get the perfect image. Less people with big lenses - less profit for the producer.
One more thing - the new iPhone 7 is rumored to have 16 MB camera with DSLR quality (I doubt that), but believe me - millions of people will think that this is just enough for a good picture, right?

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

www.OakvilleWeddingArtPhotography.com
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Canon 70D, Canon Rebel T3i, Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM, Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM, Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM, Canon EFS 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM, Canon EFS 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM, Canon EFS 10-22mm f/3.5-5.6 USM, Canon EFS 55-250mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM, Canon 430EX II

Upvote 0
Sep 15, 2012
CanonFanBoy said:
Doom and Gloom! When I start seeing massive operating loses, then I'd worry. Let's not forget that profits are counted after all costs... including capital investments and R&D. A drop in profits does not always tell the whole story. Exchange rates have some to do with this too. Canon is not in trouble. Their P&S line might be, but otherwise things are fine. Sony? Ha!

Yea Sony is in such trouble when all the sales lost to Phones include a SONY SENSOR in them LOL yup this is a big problem for SONY HAHAHAi

Upvote 0
Jul 20, 2010
From http://uk.reuters.com/article/2015/07/27/us-canon-results-idUKKCN0Q10FD20150727
"Despite firm sales in Japan, interchangeable-lens digital cameras continued to face severe conditions in other regions..."

From http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/13342/camera-sales-may-2015-data-%E6%9C%A8%E8%A3%BD%E3%81%AE%E6%A3%BA%E5%A4%A7%E3%81%8D%E3%81%AA%E9%9F%B3%E9%9B%A8
Number of DSLR units shipped worldwide in Apr-May 2015 actually increased.

When put together, the above 2 pieces of news seem to indicate a severe drop in Canon market share for DSLRs worldwide.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
emko said:
Yea Sony is in such trouble when all the sales lost to Phones include a SONY SENSOR in them LOL yup this is a big problem for SONY HAHAHAi

brianftpc said:
Just wait till the Nikon D900 uses that 42MP sensor...has better autofocus than the A7r II...14bit RAW...Dynamic Range out the ass. See what the profits look like then.

Might want to at least 2 and 8 days, respectively, for quarterly reports from Sony and Nikon.

Upvote 0
emko said:

They will (presumably) make more money on an A7R2 (sounds like a Star Wars droid) sold at retail than on a tiny sensor sold to Apple. Just like Toyota would really rather sell you a Tundra than a Corolla.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
LonelyBoy said:
emko said:

They will (presumably) make more money on an A7R2 (sounds like a Star Wars droid) sold at retail than on a tiny sensor sold to Apple. Just like Toyota would really rather sell you a Tundra than a Corolla.

Would Toyota make more money by selling one Tundra or by selling 200 Corollas? There's good fiscal logic behind the idea that Sony will reduce consumer electronics lines (TVs, cameras) and focus on component production (sensors).

Upvote 0
Oakville said:
90 % of the people don't care for the quality of the image - they just need something to shoot with and that is the phone from the pocket.

That first part is a little misleading. It is not that the public does not care for the quality of the image, but more that the public is satisfied with the quality of the image from their cell phone. There is a difference.

It is hard to convince anyone "you should not be satisfied with what you are satisfied with, you really should be satisfied with what satisfies me!". ;D Although I suspect that many threads here try to do exactly that. ;)

They are especially satisfied with the quality of the image when considered along with the multitude of other advantages of a cell phone camera as compared to the disadvantages of a DSLR or Mirrorless camera system.

Upvote 0
Its a fast changing market place. Time will tell where this all ends.

My new SONY is shipping Tuesday next week (may take a while before I have it my hands though). :(

Had hoped so much for the 5DIV to be my next DSLR - but it was not to be.

When the 5DIV arrives I will decide if there is any reason to continue with Canon. Meanwhile, I have started selling some of my Canon gear.

Upvote 0
neuroanatomist said:
LonelyBoy said:
emko said:

Would Toyota make more money by selling one Tundra or by selling 200 Corollas? There's good fiscal logic behind the idea that Sony will reduce consumer electronics lines (TVs, cameras) and focus on component production (sensors).

Agree, Sony used to be rock solid at producing whole systems (TVs, hi-fis and the like). They could impose pricing like few others because of the quality of what they sold. Now they have lost customer service and overall system quality by a wide margin. The suggestions that they are strong innovators compared to Canon is already suspect when you take overall systems into account but falls completely flat if you want something you can genuinely rely on. A lot of people don't sweat that too much particularly at the outset but a fair proportion of those will learn over time and return to systems with more longevity. Achieving quality takes at least as much innovation as ANYTHING Sony has done.

On the component sales it would be fascinating to see what kind of deal Sony were able to strike for those iPhone sensors. If Apple's suggested 40% profit margins are even close it's hard to see a massive markup for Sony there.

Upvote 0
MiamiC70 said:
Nitroman said:
Maybe they should try lowering their prices ...

My thoughts exactly!

+1 Canon cannot continue to offer less and ask more than the competition.

The 6D is currently Canon's best value offer - I just got one for 1.150 USD as a backup/replacement and it takes excellent pictures - but even that camera does not match what Nikon has on the table.

Upvote 0
Maiaibing said:
MiamiC70 said:
Nitroman said:
Maybe they should try lowering their prices ...

My thoughts exactly!

+1 Canon cannot continue to offer less and ask more than the competition.

The 6D is currently Canon's best value offer - I just got one for 1.150 USD as a backup/replacement and it takes excellent pictures - but even that camera does not match what Nikon has on the table.

So why did you buy it?

Upvote 0
Nov 17, 2011
unfocused said:
Once again, I'm amused at how people respond without reading the article.

The world's largest camera maker said on Monday its second-quarter net profit fell to 68 billion yen ($552 million)... Analysts on average expected 65 billion yen...

So they beat analysts expectations by $3 billion yen.

Shares of Canon fell 0.75 percent ahead of the earnings release, compared with a 0.95 percent fall in the broader market.

So, even with the drop in earnings report, they beat the market.

So, Canon is doing better than the broader market and doing better than analysts predicted. And, let's not forget the bottom line: this is an announcement of smaller profits not an announcement of any loss.

It looks to me that Canon knows the market better and has better strategies than anyone on this forum.

With the title "Canon Profits Drop 16% in Second Quarter", that is good enough for many to start typing ;D

Upvote 0