Canon releases an official statement about the EOS R5 and EOS R6 heat concerns

Agree with your statement but I am going to KEEP drilling home the external recording thing.

40K60 “unlimited” is absolutely possible with both The R5 and R6 if used with the proper professional equipment...... although no one can seem to offer any situation where anyone would shoot in such a format for THIRTY MINUTES STRAIGHT. ....

But if you need to? Buy one of these.
View attachment 191356

My R6 was on preorder the moment the link hit.
I don't know. it entirely depends if they feed the HDMI port from the liveview feed.

but in reality there are a few tricks that Sony users have done - remove the battery and use USB / DC charge. open the LCD up, etc.

What's weird is that Canon is UPFRONT about all this. Sony you had to find out after you bought the camera - yet who's taking the heat? (literally)

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
What's weird is that Canon is UPFRONT about all this. Sony you had to find out after you bought the camera - yet who's taking the heat? (literally)

Maybe Canon values its reputation more than Sony, actually I appreciate it, although I don't care about the video features that much.

At the same time it's an evidence they carefully watch and listen to the photo community and are afraid of negative rants on YouTube.

Upvote 0
Maybe Canon values its reputation more than Sony, actually I appreciate it, although I don't care about the video features that much.

At the same time it's an evidence they carefully watch and listen to the photo community and are afraid of negative rants on YouTube.
without a doubt.

for instance, I just checked the Sony manual states this vague stupid crap about the A7 III.

Depending on the camera and battery temperature, you may be unable to record movies or the power may turn off automatically to protect the camera. A message will be displayed on the screen before the power turns off or you can no longer record movies. In this case, leave the power off and wait until the camera and battery temperature goes down. If you turn on the power without letting the camera and battery cool enough, the power may turn off again or you may be unable to record movies.

This is exactly what Canon is illustrating but they actually give real facts. Sony decides to not tell the users the facts. Now we have this fun stuff;

• When the temperature of the camera rises, the image quality may deteriorate. It is recommended that you wait until the temperature of the camera drops before continuing to shoot.

• Under high ambient temperatures, the temperature of the camera rises quickly.

• If the same part of your skin touches the camera for a long period of time while using the camera, even if the camera does not feel hot to you, it may cause symptoms of a low-temperature burn such as redness or blistering. Pay special attention in the following situations and use a tripod, etc. – When using the camera in a hightemperature environment – When someone with poor circulation or impaired skin sensation uses the camera – When using the camera with the [Auto Pwr OFF Temp.] set to [High].

• Especially during 4K movie shooting, the recording time may be shorter under low temperature conditions. Warm up the battery pack or r replace it with a new battery

So they are saying it's possible to get burned by the camera, that it will overheat and shut down during 4K recording.

So is the A7 III useless too? did I miss the memo?

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

Starting out EOS R

EOS R5 - RF24-105mm F4L, RF70-200mm f2.8L
Feb 13, 2020
Try opening your videos in Adobe Premiere, you'll find it more practical...
Thanks for the tip, I'm currently using the creative cloud apps on a monthly subscription and Premier Pro (which is what I think you meant), isn't part of that package. Once I get my sticky fingers on the R5 and start doing more video, it may be worthwhile expanding the apps to include this & then the joy of playing to work out how to do it lol.

Upvote 0
I have already preordered mine but I can cancel if I want. Im in thoughts to be honest. I shoot stills but I shoot also a lot of video as most of you I believe. From my perspective Canon should include a fan inside R5. I wouldn't care if the body would be thicker! At the end they could deliver what they promised from the start! It's a serious throwback for me... and it may be addressed somehow in the future (lower bitrates, more efficiency codecs that produce less heat, etc) but nobody knows that for sure. As from a stills shooter side I can't find anything bad and this camera will dominate in stills world. DxO rated 1Dx III at 14.5 stops of DR. So I believe R5 will get a similar or not better DR performance. That translates that Canon is on par with Nikon and Sony regarding DR and with the specs of R5 is a monster of a stills camera.

Upvote 0

freejay

CR Pro
Feb 3, 2015
I'm a little disappointed that there are so many limits in the video modes. I also like to shoot whole concerts for bands and even with no overheating limit in some modes I still have to restart the recording every 30 minutes...
But apart from that: I'm very excited and looking forward to my R5: As a photo camera (and I will use it this way mostly) it will be absolutely great. I'm pretty sure about that!

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

bbb34

5D mk V
Jul 24, 2012
Amsterdam
I'm glad they didn't put a tiny fan inside. It would take volume, create a lot of noise, be power inefficient, and provide a barn door for water and dust ingress.

What's wrong with putting a fan in a grip? Or for work on a tripod, mount the camera on a large heat sink, with or without a large fan?

R5 has a metal body. I expect that Canon put considerable effort in optimizing the thermal interface between the heating parts (sensor and/or DSP), and the outer shell. I'm looking forward to see the first tear-apart video, and I would expect to find some heat pipes in there.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the tip, I'm currently using the creative cloud apps on a monthly subscription and Premier Pro (which is what I think you meant), isn't part of that package. Once I get my sticky fingers on the R5 and start doing more video, it may be worthwhile expanding the apps to include this & then the joy of playing to work out how to do it lol.

With the creative cloud, you can install a trial version of Premiere, it'll work for a month or so. Each new yearly version will give you another trial.

Upvote 0

Starting out EOS R

EOS R5 - RF24-105mm F4L, RF70-200mm f2.8L
Feb 13, 2020
With the creative cloud, you can install a trial version of Premiere, it'll work for a month or so. Each new yearly version will give you another trial.
I like your logic. :ROFLMAO: I can have Premiere Rush which is probably a downgraded version of Pro but I'm not sure if this will do it.That's me sorted for a few hours messing with this. Cheers

I need to stop getting ahead of myself and overexcited as although I pre ordered the R5 and am told I am 5th on the list, I'm not that lucky and I probably won't get a unit in the 1st delivery. :cry:

Upvote 0
before the official release canon broadly communicated that there wasn’t a crop or any catch to their video specs. We were all shocked because 8k just seemed almost impossible without a catch

I didn’t suggest the overheating is on purpose and didn’t connect this camera to the cinema line. I wouldn’t but a cinema camera. I believe video and stills will merge over time but stills are the mostimportant to me

++++ canon even made clear that the video specs were not limited in anyway before the official release.

A.M.: did they say that? Could you please please advise the source of this intel? Thank you.

++++The thermal issues seem to be the rate limiting step

A.M.: do you think that overheating is a deliberate product limitation to protect their cinema line of cameras? :D

Upvote 0
your suggestion is to buy More equipment or not use the video features that set this camera apart. That sort of defeats the purpose of buying the camera for many people:
The camera specs that got the most attention were the video specs.

I plan on getting the R6 and sticking with 4K 60. I suspect that will work for me but I understand that some could be disappointed if the R5 has a heating issue

So dont record in 8k or the 4kHQ oversampled. Record in normal 4k. You’ll be fine. Or get an external recorder.

Upvote 0
I disagree with you
Only lions can consistently sit around with a kill in the wild for an hour or so

cheetahs are skittish
They will kill then eat as much as possible right away. If possible they will hide their prey in a tree.

bigger cats, hyenas and wild dogs will smell the prey and take it. They will easily kill the cheetah if it resisted. They usually can’t sit around with their prey for too long. cheetahs often don’t have the luxury to cool down until after they’ve eaten and they will retreat to their den or a tree and nap with a full belly.

I guess what described above is an absurd scenario, perhaps only in a zoo!
I trust you have photographed a cheetah hunting in the wild, and you know that after chasing the prey, it bites to the neck and waits at least 20 some minutes to recover from the chase to cool down, and then at least 30 more minutes to eat it. The chase itself is always less than 20 seconds and these segments are not back to back. I guess the R5 with all the presumed 8K shooting limitations, can fit well to this scenario, the camera can cool down as the cheetah cools down!!

Upvote 0
without a doubt.

for instance, I just checked the Sony manual states this vague stupid crap about the A7 III.

Depending on the camera and battery temperature, you may be unable to record movies or the power may turn off automatically to protect the camera. A message will be displayed on the screen before the power turns off or you can no longer record movies. In this case, leave the power off and wait until the camera and battery temperature goes down. If you turn on the power without letting the camera and battery cool enough, the power may turn off again or you may be unable to record movies.

This is exactly what Canon is illustrating but they actually give real facts. Sony decides to not tell the users the facts. Now we have this fun stuff;

• When the temperature of the camera rises, the image quality may deteriorate. It is recommended that you wait until the temperature of the camera drops before continuing to shoot.

• Under high ambient temperatures, the temperature of the camera rises quickly.

• If the same part of your skin touches the camera for a long period of time while using the camera, even if the camera does not feel hot to you, it may cause symptoms of a low-temperature burn such as redness or blistering. Pay special attention in the following situations and use a tripod, etc. – When using the camera in a hightemperature environment – When someone with poor circulation or impaired skin sensation uses the camera – When using the camera with the [Auto Pwr OFF Temp.] set to [High].

• Especially during 4K movie shooting, the recording time may be shorter under low temperature conditions. Warm up the battery pack or r replace it with a new battery

So they are saying it's possible to get burned by the camera, that it will overheat and shut down during 4K recording.

So is the A7 III useless too? did I miss the memo?

Sony is pretty conservative after they learned their lessons of overheating and through firmware and later camera releases. The A7M3 says you may only get 29mins of recording due to overheating at up to 104f, but in real life I’ve gotten up to an hour and a half outdoors under the sun. The same is in the a7r3 manual, 29mins, but it has never overheated on me.

With Canon none of this was known or shared until shortly after preorders opened and AFTER the CVP leak came out.At that point Canon came out and publicly made a statement.

Sony is no angel, but neither is Canon. Have we forgotten how hard Canon tried to bury the 1DM3 fiasco? Yes, our sports flagship can’t focus, but let’s tell them its the shooters fault for using the wrong settings...

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Man, I would love to travel at 160km/hour on any road. (100 miles /hour ) However there is a limit.
Cooling system limitations may apply here too ;) and a multipass radiator would cause the car to take longer to warm up in the morning.

This all, of course, depends on the car.

If canon put a more aggressive heat pipe on this camera, it would be bloody murder that they couldnt let go of the 5D chunkiness (which im going to miss).

They could have really taken the market by storm offering a red-square badged "C" variation with a cooling system for an extra $1000.

Upvote 0

Besisika

How can you stand out, if you do like evrybdy else
Mar 25, 2014
Montreal
I'm a little disappointed that there are so many limits in the video modes. I also like to shoot whole concerts for bands and even with no overheating limit in some modes I still have to restart the recording every 30 minutes...
But apart from that: I'm very excited and looking forward to my R5: As a photo camera (and I will use it this way mostly) it will be absolutely great. I'm pretty sure about that!
I am a photographer first as well and interested mostly in the 45MP. However, I shoot band and choir concerts quite often on my 1DX II.
If you tell us more what disappoints you most among the video limits, someone with better experience may suggest how would you use the camera once you get it. I am assuming that you want to frame, press record, take a comfortable sit, wait until the concert is finished and press stop. But I am assuming and I can be wrong.
Let us know.

Upvote 0

Besisika

How can you stand out, if you do like evrybdy else
Mar 25, 2014
Montreal
No interest in video whatsoever. And what videos I see around, could have taken on a phone easily.
Srsly, why film an interview or vlog in 4k or 8k. That's just plain stupid. Fight me video fanfolk...
No fighting from my side, just opinion; you are my brother in rumor.
I don't know how to shoot interview on a phone. Your skill must be better than mine. It looks like I need to learn more.
I agree, I don't know why I would shoot an interview in 8K, unless it is a real proof that martians do exist.

4K is my standard. It sounds stupid indeed until.... I don't know if you have been in a situation where you took photos of an event, you sent JPGs over and they fell in love with your job that they ask you if you can work on one specific photo for a huge print, not Facebook like the rest of them.
This is why you shoot both A-roll and B-rolls in 4K. You create a 4K sequence and put all your clips in the timeline, in the same "format" if possible. This makes working on them a lot nicer and faster. This gives you an opportunity to export in any format up to 4K, even when the deal was for a 1080p.
When their father past away, they want to retain the best memory of him from anywhere and everywhere. You happened to be the guy who interviewed him during his only daughter wedding, when he talks how much he loves her (and you shot it on a phone). Good luck!

Upvote 0