Canon Speedlite 430EX III-RT Coming Shortly

I just want a SMALL transmitter with an infrared focus-assist beam

I bought a pair of 600RT flashes even though I rarely use both as light sources. I like to have one off-camera flash, and I want to have an on-camera wireless trigger that includes an infrared focus beam.

Apparently, my only solution was to buy an extra 600RT just to use as a trigger and focus assist. That's an expensive and needlessly cumbersome solution. Really I just want a trigger with a focus-assist beam.

If the new 430RT does indeed serve as a Master, then that will be a slightly less cumbersome solution.

If the 430RT does NOT serve as a master, then that's really silly! That would put someone in the position of relegating the more powerful 600RT to the role of non-firing master, while using the less powerful 430RT as the light source. (Assuming that they're trying to do what I do: retain the focus-assist beam on camera while using one off-camera flash)

Am I missing a smarter solution?

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
m said:
YuengLinger said:
perspectivist said:
Hi there,

just to add up to the confusion, I would like to quote from Canon Germany and their homepage:

"Per Funkübertragung kann es auch als Masterblitz eingesetzt werden." (http://www.canon.de/about_us/press_centre/press_releases/consumer_news/cameras_accessories/speedlite_430ex_iii_rt.aspx)

A rough translation of this would read: "Via radio transmission it can be used as master flash as well."

Have a nice day.

Here's a Bing translation, which somewhat clearly suggests that the new flash will integrate better with a master/slave system--NOT be used as a master.

"It provides advanced functionality, additional integrated radio control with master and slave function and opens up a world of creative lighting options demanding users and professional photographers."

And that bing translation is nonsense. I mean seriously, why do you debate the translation of a (probably) native speaker with a bing translation? That's ridiculous.

perspectivist's translation is accurate, the question is how to interpret that sentence.

The devil is in the details: If the 430 RT is fired as slave via RT, that flashlight can be used as an optical master (every flash fired is an optical master). So if "being an optical extension of the true master flash, triggered via RT" counts as being used as master, the 430RT can be considered a "master" flash without being able to act as a master RT flash on its own.

Ahh, but English is my native language.

Your scenario describes a relay, not a master.

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
ahsanford said:
TDP just posted a major correction to the release -- apparently everyone was asking about radio master functionality.

You all will likely be very happy to read this:

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/News/News-Post.aspx?News=15411

- A

Sounds great!

So was Canon feeling heat from Yongnuo?

Upvote 0