Canon Speedlite 430EX III-RT Coming Shortly

Jul 21, 2010
duppencf said:
hm... hard to compete with recent 3rd party flashes like the RT compatible $124 Yongnuo YN-600ex-RT when it is neutered to be slave only.

Have you found the Yongnuo units to be reliable?

bergstrom said:
Any chance of a 580exiii ?? It had the best AF asist light around for low light situations.

No, the 580 line became the 600 line (same light power, just a longer zoom head).

Upvote 0
Yes, but they are using Canon's RT system reverse engineered, so compatibility with new canon stuff isn't 100% assured. Still, the Yonguo YN-E3-RT transmitter is arguably better than canon's since it adds a focus assist lamp and allows you to pop the flashes before they are 100% recharged. Plus they have receivers to drive other flashes with the Canon RT system. They're supporting the wireless system better than Canon.

Upvote 0
ahsanford said:
neuroanatomist said:
mrzero said:
IsaacImage said:
neuroanatomist said:
No mention of master flash capability, ergo...slave only (RT or optical).

Hopefully its going to work as a Master as well

The text posted is very clearly slave-only. You know what, I take that back. It is very clearly slave-only for the optical transmission. The radio transmission language is deliberately vague. And, quite frankly, Canon did the same BS when they released the updated MR-14EXII, trying to be vague about its relationship to RT and master capabilities.

I agree it's vague. But I'd bet good money it will not serve as a master.

I work with marketing folks every day. A business clearly states feature-based value propositions unless it's a fluff little feature. Being a radio master would not be a little detail -- Canon would come right out and tell us.

...and if they did include it, I imagine it would undercut the dickens out of 600 EX-RT and (especially) ST-E3-RT sales.

So I doubt it's a radio master, but in fairness, I'm no flash expert.

- A

Not really. I've rarely used my 600ex as a master since I got the radio remote. Plus the radio remote is cheaper than even the new 430ex. Plus I think canon made their money already on the 600ex-rt since its about $150 less now than it was when I got them, I mean, when they first came out. :eek: I also can see canon bundling two new 430's with the radio remote as they did with the 600ex-rt. I shoot in bars with 5 600 ex-rt's, I can really see these being handy as extra spot lights on the scene to create accent lights. And at $300 a pop, WOW. Granted its all a closed system but it works, every time. I hope this rumor is true.

Upvote 0

FEBS

Action Photography
CR Pro
neuroanatomist said:

Yes I do. Which one didn't you find reliable Neuro?

And I rather like to have 3 YN-600-RT then 1 Canon RT, as this gives me much more possibilities!

I know there are a lot of discussions about reliability and quality of the Yongnuo devices. I bought a lot of them and I am very satisfied. For manual setup I use the YN560III (build-in RT receiver) together with the YN560-TX on which you can control these YN560III (power, zoom, multi settings) on top of your camera. For TTL I use the YN600-RT together with the YN-E3-RT. Both lines never did fail for me. Great solutions for that price.

Upvote 0
neuroanatomist said:
mrzero said:
IsaacImage said:
neuroanatomist said:
No mention of master flash capability, ergo...slave only (RT or optical).

Hopefully its going to work as a Master as well

The text posted is very clearly slave-only. You know what, I take that back. It is very clearly slave-only for the optical transmission. The radio transmission language is deliberately vague. And, quite frankly, Canon did the same BS when they released the updated MR-14EXII, trying to be vague about its relationship to RT and master capabilities.

I agree it's vague. But I'd bet good money it will not serve as a master.

From DPReview:> 1. With wireless radio receiver (RT model - Slave Function only); 430EX III model supports only optical transmission

And specifications are up on Canon website - http://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/speedlite-430ex-iii-rt-flash

Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
andrewflo said:
ahsanford said:

I work with marketing folks every day. A business clearly states feature-based value propositions unless it's a fluff little feature. Being a radio master would not be a little detail -- Canon would come right out and tell us.

...and if they did include it, I imagine it would undercut the dickens out of 600 EX-RT and (especially) ST-E3-RT sales.

So I doubt it's a radio master, but in fairness, I'm no flash expert.

- A

Seems like a pretty logical observation. Even as a slave only, seems like a pretty cool addition to Canon's RT lineup.
I am preety sure that ahsanfords guess is right.
Canon would have told us in bold letters, if that flash had master functionality.
And why should they change their philosophy from the optical system with one premium master and all other as slaves?
Funny that it took them so much time - or let's say annoying that they waited for so long until a lot of people didn't want to wait any longer and bought a second, third, ... 600EX RT ;) :mad:

Upvote 0
I have 4x600EX-RT, ST-E3-RT, YN-600-RT, YN-E3-RT and I think I will miss master mode on 430-EX-RT, since 600-EX is too bulky for on-camera use and ST-E3-RT does not have focus assist or fill light. YN-E3-RT does have focus assist and you can use it on 3rd party bodies, but is never ready (you can't leave batteries inside).

Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
Now we have it from the release note:
Featuring enhanced functionality and operability over its predecessor (the Canon Speedlite 430EX II), the new Canon Speedlite 430EX III-RT features wireless flash shooting via optical or radio transmission (similar to the Canon Speedlite 600EX-RT but slave function only),

Upvote 0
Mar 1, 2011
neuroanatomist said:
Lots of nice improvements, slave only as expected.
According to
http://cpn.canon-europe.com/content/news/canon_launches_speedlite_430ex_iii_rt.do?utm_source=newsletter_july_2_15&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Newsletter

They state:
"The Speedlite 430EX III-RT includes radio wireless flash control acting as either a master or slave unit. "

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
alek35 said:
neuroanatomist said:
Lots of nice improvements, slave only as expected.
According to
http://cpn.canon-europe.com/content/news/canon_launches_speedlite_430ex_iii_rt.do?utm_source=newsletter_july_2_15&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Newsletter

They state:
"The Speedlite 430EX III-RT includes radio wireless flash control acting as either a master or slave unit. "

Yet it's 'slave only' on Canon USA's site. I suspect the confusion comes from the fact that in the RT system a slave flash must be a transmitter because it reports connection/charging status to the master (optical slaves do not). Someone reads it's a transmitter and assumes that means master.

Upvote 0

perspectivist

Canon FF + Crop + severaL gLasses
Mar 25, 2015
Hi there,

just to add up to the confusion, I would like to quote from Canon Germany and their homepage:

"Per Funkübertragung kann es auch als Masterblitz eingesetzt werden." (http://www.canon.de/about_us/press_centre/press_releases/consumer_news/cameras_accessories/speedlite_430ex_iii_rt.aspx)

A rough translation of this would read: "Via radio transmission it can be used as master flash as well."

Have a nice day.

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
perspectivist said:
Hi there,

just to add up to the confusion, I would like to quote from Canon Germany and their homepage:

"Per Funkübertragung kann es auch als Masterblitz eingesetzt werden." (http://www.canon.de/about_us/press_centre/press_releases/consumer_news/cameras_accessories/speedlite_430ex_iii_rt.aspx)

A rough translation of this would read: "Via radio transmission it can be used as master flash as well."

Have a nice day.

Here's a Bing translation, which somewhat clearly suggests that the new flash will integrate better with a master/slave system--NOT be used as a master.

"It provides advanced functionality, additional integrated radio control with master and slave function and opens up a world of creative lighting options demanding users and professional photographers."

Seemed to take a long time for Canon to release this unit, but maybe the 600's were selling so well...

Upvote 0

m

Nov 24, 2012
YuengLinger said:
perspectivist said:
Hi there,

Have a nice day.

Here's a Bing translation, which somewhat clearly suggests that the new flash will integrate better with a master/slave system--NOT be used as a master.

"It provides advanced functionality, additional integrated radio control with master and slave function and opens up a world of creative lighting options demanding users and professional photographers."

And that bing translation is nonsense. I mean seriously, why do you debate the translation of a (probably) native speaker with a bing translation? That's ridiculous.

perspectivist's translation is accurate, the question is how to interpret that sentence.

The devil is in the details: If the 430 RT is fired as slave via RT, that flashlight can be used as an optical master (every flash fired is an optical master). So if "being an optical extension of the true master flash, triggered via RT" counts as being used as master, the 430RT can be considered a "master" flash without being able to act as a master RT flash on its own.

Upvote 0