Canon teases Canon EOS R8 and Canon EOS R50 announcement happening this week

Jul 21, 2010
For people saying the R8 has the R6 II sensor, I understand it's the same MP but how do you know it's actually the same sensor?
I’m not sure it is, but besides the same 24.2 MP, Canon usually doesn’t hesitate to use the phrase ‘newly-developed’ in their descriptions, even with a tiny tweak (say, a few nm difference in CFA spectral sensitivities).

For the R8 they say, “Canon-developed 24.2-million-pixel CMOS image sensor,” no mention of new. That suggests it’s re-used from something, most likely the R6 II.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
im a M6 user.. is it stupid for me to switch to r50?
Why do you want to? If there are RF lenses you want to use, it makes sense. Personally, the lack of an ultrawide RF-S zoom (like the EF-M 11-22) would preclude me from getting an R50.

IMO, if your current system meets your needs, why switch? The R50 isn't going anywhere (except maybe to be replaced by a MkII) if you change your mind down the road. I doubt the EOS R APS-C system will ever yield as small a package as an M kit. For me, the M6II with the M11-22, M18-150 and M22/2 makes an excellent and versatile travel setup (I have all the M lenses, actually, but those three are my most-used).

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Mar 14, 2022
Is there a mechanical shutter mode on the R8? The specs only mention EFCS and electronic...

I also noticed the R8 blurb makes no mention of continuous shooting speeds...
Just saw DPR's review before they pulled it: up to 6 FPS in EFCS and 40 FPS in electronic mode. No mechanical shutter mode. Chris confirmed it was the same sensor that is in the R6 Mark II along with same autofocus system.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Just saw DPR's review before they pulled it: up to 6 FPS in EFCS and 40 FPS in electronic mode. No mechanical shutter mode. Chris confirmed it was the same sensor that is in the R6 Mark II along with same autofocus system.
That's a shame it doesn't have mechanical mode, I just learned it has a single curtain only but they do have to cut costs somewhere. From my understanding is mechanical better for F/1.4 lenses at fast shutter speeds? Does the R10/R7 have mechanical mode?

That's pretty impressive how it has the R6 II sensor and AF system.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Mar 14, 2022
That's a shame it doesn't have mechanical mode, they could probably add that in a firmware update if they wanted to. From my understanding is mechanical better for F/1.4 lenses at fast shutter speeds? Does the R10/R7 have mechanical mode?

That's pretty impressive how it has the R6 II sensor and AF system.
Both R7 and R10 have a mechanical mode. Not sure if this will be pulled as well, but here's DPR's initial review of the R8: https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canon-eos-r8-initial-review

"Canon says that both the sensor and processor in the EOS R8 are the same as those of the EOS R6 II, and it can match its bigger brother in many key respects, including image quality, autofocus performance and video quality. There are key differences, though, that mark this as the budget model; for example, there's no mechanical first curtain shutter in the R8 (something Sony did in its comparable a7C), which significantly reduces its high-speed credentials. There are appreciable differences in the hardware and handling of the two cameras, but high-speed photography is the biggest performance distinction between them."

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Jun 27, 2013
Pune
Both R7 and R10 have a mechanical mode. Not sure if this will be pulled as well, but here's DPR's initial review of the R8: https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canon-eos-r8-initial-review

"Canon says that both the sensor and processor in the EOS R8 are the same as those of the EOS R6 II, and it can match its bigger brother in many key respects, including image quality, autofocus performance and video quality. There are key differences, though, that mark this as the budget model; for example, there's no mechanical first curtain shutter in the R8 (something Sony did in its comparable a7C), which significantly reduces its high-speed credentials. There are appreciable differences in the hardware and handling of the two cameras, but high-speed photography is the biggest performance distinction between them."
Like Sony's a7C, the Canon EOS R8 features a mechanical shutter mechanism to end exposures, but not the corresponding shutter blades to initiate exposure. This results in a lighter, less expensive shutter assembly but also has some minor knock-on effects.

The most obvious is the reduction in the camera's burst rate: just 6fps in electronic first curtain mode, compared with the EOS R6 II's 12 fps mechanical shutter. But there's also a potential image quality glitch that creeps in at very high shutter speeds (typically 1/1000 sec or faster) when used with very wide aperture values.

from Dpreviews preview, so just electronic 1st curtain shooting while using mechanical shutter(hopefully it will lead to higher flash sync speed).

Upvote 0
Jun 27, 2013
Pune
The R8 is literally just the RP with a new name lmao Canon is so lazy. They couldn't even add a joystick or control wheel.
Top plate has been redesigned along with welcome internal changes(USB port being 10Gbps from mere 480Mbps). Buffer is massive for camera in its class. Sure missing 8 way controller is a let down but not at all a deal breaker(unlike R50 which has UHS-I SD slot).

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0