Canon teases Canon EOS R8 and Canon EOS R50 announcement happening this week

Jsjamesok

CR Pro
Feb 14, 2020
Has there ever been a camera before from Canon that came in two different colors? I don't believe I've seen that yet. An RF body with two different colors seems cool I guess. I have a feeling it'll be black or white. A white camera body would look sick! Watch it be like camo colored haha
-Cody M
Charlottesville wedding photographer
I think strange looking but available at B&H.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
Wow, are you being this obtuse intentionally?

Let me boil it down to the essential phrase in contention. You said, “…but the weight leads to the conclusion that there will not be an EVF.”

Regardless of where the weight value came from, the weight you’re talking about is similar to that of the RP, which has an EVF. So, how did you come to the conclusion that the weight means the R8 won’t have an EVF?

At this point, it’s moot because the online specs are consistent (0.91 lbs is listed, that’s 413 g), and the R8 images show an EVF.
That was obviously wrong but people, not me, assumed the weight difference between the RP and R8 meant no EVF.
I did not take the specs seriously enough to assume anything and so I did not conclude anything.

Upvote 0
Feb 21, 2020
The R8 looks great, yes people will whinge about IBIS but you are essentially getting R6 II performance for $1500 which is fantastic value. For people who don't care about IBIS or use external stabilisation it could be the dream budget FF camera. Like I predicted it has the worst viewfinder they still produce lol

The R50 looks kind of cute too, although I'd want the R10 for the shooting speed which is not that far away in price.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Feb 21, 2020
Has there ever been a camera before from Canon that came in two different colors? I don't believe I've seen that yet. An RF body with two different colors seems cool I guess. I have a feeling it'll be black or white. A white camera body would look sick! Watch it be like camo colored haha
-Cody M
Charlottesville wedding photographer
In terms of digital ILCs, the 100D, 200D and 200D II came in white (with accompanying white 18-55mm kit lens as well as a white 40mm f/2.8, the M50 and M50 II, and the EOS RP came in champagne gold.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
The R8 looks great, yes people will whinge about IBIS but you are essentially getting R6 II performance for $1500 which is fantastic value. For people who don't care about IBIS or use external stabilisation it could be the dream budget FF camera. Like I predicted it has the worst viewfinder they still produce lol
Low cost, but also light and small. I’m interested in it for the last two, especially compared to my R3. Most of my use will be on a tripod, so I’m not bothered by the low end EVF or cramped ergonomics.

However, an important consideration for me will be the availability of a good quality L-bracket (RRS, Kirk). RRS made one for the RP, I hope they will for the R8. I inquired with them about it. They were forthcoming when I inquired about a plate for the R3.

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
For me, that’s a plus. I’m considering the R8 for travel, and I’d also be bringing the M6II. Them sharing the same battery is very convenient, and makes it more likely I’ll order an R8.

This was one of the more endearing aspects to the RP for me. (Every Canon I own other than the R5 uses the same battery.) Being able to get it for (effectively) 250 dollars was another. (I bought it and a 24-105L as a refurb kit when I got my R5; I was annoyed at being expected to pay an extra cent for the kit than the two items were separately. A screaming bargain.)

Upvote 0

The R50 looks kind of cute too, although I'd want the R10 for the shooting speed which is not that far away in price.
Agreed that it is looking like a serious bargain with those specs and price point - it's a mini-R6II. Would I really like IBIS though, yes ...

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
This was one of the more endearing aspects to the RP for me. (Every Canon I own other than the R5 uses the same battery.)
Honestly, it matters less now than it used to. Even with the M-series cameras, I rarely need the spare battery I carry. With the R3, I don’t even carry my spare when traveling. The difference with recent bodies used while traveling (and one reason I bought the M6II even though I had the M6) is USB-C charging of the onboard battery. That means the a USB-C multiport charger that charges tge iPhones we have with us also charge the camera batteries overnight, as does the single large brick for my 16” Mac.

The lack of IBIS is also not ideal, as on my trip this summer I know there will be places I can’t use my tripod, and 7-8 stops with the combo of IS and IBIS would be good to have.

Decisions, decisions. At least I have a few months.

Upvote 0
The R8 and R50 look great! Canon has outdone themselves with all the features they have, it shows they want as many smartphone users to upgrade as they can get. The majority obviously want the EVF in these entry level models which I am happy to see, Canon would have removed the EVF or made an add-on like the M6 if that's what the majority wanted.

For people saying the R8 has the R6 II sensor, I understand it's the same MP but how do you know it's actually the same sensor?

I don't really understand why so many expect IBIS in these entry level models, they have to cut costs somewhere, I also think people expecting these models to have the bigger LP-E6NH battery is a bit of an unrealistic expectation as well, but I do understand their point since the LP-E17 does drain quickly on my M5. I'm not sure if the video time limit is arbitrary or if it's the hardware but 1 hour for the R50 and 2 hours for the R8 seems pretty decent.

Upvote 0