Canon teases Canon EOS R8 and Canon EOS R50 announcement happening this week

Jul 21, 2010
It is not that I do not find them to be plausible.
I do not trust the source.
I'm not questioning your confidence in the source, I'm questioning your conclusion based on those specs, reliable or not. You stated, "I do not believe those are the real specs but the weight leads to the conclusion that there will not be an EVF." Given that the specs report a weight similar to the RP, which does have a viewfinder, how do you conclude that the rumored specs mean the R8 does not?

Upvote 0
As primarily a landscape photographer, >90% of my photographs are taken while hiking and on a tripod. I bought full in on the RF lineup with the RP, and two compact f4 L lenses (14-35 and 70-200) for a super compact, full frame L glass setup. The RP was always a placeholder with the old 6D ii sensor holding out hope for a budget/middle of the road, compact FF model. I can’t say I would have designed it without a evf but if the reported specs are correct and it does not have an evf, I am very interested.

I wouldn’t have thought there would be much overlap between a landscape and vlogging body but, if the specs are correct, they could actually pull it off.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

kmrahe

EOS M50 Mark II
Feb 2, 2023
I'm pretty sure it'll have an EVF.
Then it (R50, which I assume you're talking about) will likely siphon off a fair number of R10 sales for more budget-minded folks.

It'll be a crappy EVF though lol
I'm still trying to figure out how the M50's EVF is crappy. But then again I'm coming from cell phones, a Canon point & shoot (no VF on either) and an old Olympus C-3040 Zoom (optical VF).

Upvote 0
Jun 10, 2022
CNL7427.detail.a.jpg
CNL7426.detail.a.jpg

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
If these images are of the real R8 then it looks like it’s keeping the same control configuration as the current RP :):)
And an EVF. I wonder if Canon will be kind and put the one from R/R6 in ?? :unsure:
Not sure what happened to the new design ? It looks to be same base plate as RP. Interestingly the grip extension for the RP has weather sealing around the battery door; I wonder if it also will fit the R8 and that camera has improved sealing…..

Upvote 0
If these images are of the real R8 then it looks like it’s keeping the same control configuration as the current RP :):)
And an EVF. I wonder if Canon will be kind and put the one from R/R6 in ?? :unsure:
Not sure what happened to the new design ? It looks to be same base plate as RP. Interestingly the grip extension for the RP has weather sealing around the battery door; I wonder if it also will fit the R8 and that camera has improved sealing…..
The full specs for the R8 are going to be fascinating. Hard to believe that there will be the same EVF as the R6II, as there has to be price differentiation somewhere - but at least it has one, and it's a cute looking little camera. If true, the M50 looks nothing like what I was picturing.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0