Canon to Announce a Rebel 1300D Shortly

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
Canon Rumors Premium
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
Still no signs of an EOS Rebel SL2, but it looks like the EOS Rebel T5 (1200D) is going to get a replacement shortly.</p>
<p>Specifications: (Google Translated)</p>
<ul>
<li><span class="notranslate">Sensor: 18MP CMOS</span></li>
<li><span class="notranslate">Sensor size: 22.3mm x 14.9mm</span></li>
<li><span class="notranslate">Image processing engine: DIGIC4 +</span></li>
<li><span class="notranslate">ISO100-6400 (extension ISO12800)</span></li>
<li><span class="notranslate">Wi-Fi, NFC</span></li>
<li><span class="notranslate">Video: Full HD</span></li>
<li><span class="notranslate">Video Snapshot</span></li>
<li><span class="notranslate">Scene Intelligent Auto</span></li>
<li><span class="notranslate">Creative Filters</span></li>
<li><span class="notranslate">Continuous shooting: 3 frames / sec.</span></li>
<li><span class="notranslate">Monitor: 3 inches</span></li>
<li><span class="notranslate">Size: 129mm x 101.3mm x 77.6mm</span></li>
<li><span class="notranslate">Weight: 485g</span></li>
</ul>
<span id="pty_trigger"></span>

ajfotofilmagem said:
I do not usually criticize new camera models, only through the specifications. But these are the most discouraging I have ever read.

I'm afraid I'm going to have to agree with you on that one. :( Unless this is a new 18mp sensor (seems unlikely) I don't even know why they're bothering. I'm also slow to criticize based on spec sheets, but I hope there's some under-the-hood work that has been done. They did it with the 1dx II's auto focus system, so it's possible. I guess.

Upvote 0

neuroanatomist

Canon Rumors Premium
Jul 21, 2010
The key upgrade: +100 (as in 1200D to 1300D); that and the release date of 2016.

Look, people – this is the entry level to the entry level model. The target market is not anyone who owns a dSLR. This isn't intended to tempt anyone to upgrade their T3/1100D or T5/1200D. The target market is especially not anyone who reads CanonRumors. So criticize away, just understand the irrelevance of what you say.

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
low cost, low spec entry level camera.... nothing more to see here.... move along....

seriously though, it looks like Canon is replacing everything in a rather short time. The specs on this one don't look very exciting, but it is a cheap entry camera.... and I must admit to being very curious as to if the sensor is new-tech or what....

Upvote 0
neuroanatomist said:
The key upgrade: +100 (as in 1200D to 1300D); that and the release date of 2016.

Look, people – this is the entry level to the entry level model. The target market is not anyone who owns a dSLR. This isn't intended to tempt anyone to upgrade their T3/1100D or T5/1200D. The target market is especially not anyone who reads CanonRumors. So criticize away, just understand the irrelevance of what you say.
I know you can make good images with any current DSLR, but I imagine a beginner DSLR in the world, who wants to buy his first camera "for real."

These guys would be excited with 24 megapixel and ISO12800 (equal T6i). After the higher the number, the better the camera ... That would cost another $ 50? Maybe $ 100, but would be more appetizing, the eyes of a layman.

Upvote 0

neuroanatomist

Canon Rumors Premium
Jul 21, 2010
ajfotofilmagem said:
I know you can make good images with any current DSLR, but I imagine a beginner DSLR in the world, who wants to buy his first camera "for real."

These guys would be excited with 24 megapixel and ISO12800 (equal T6i). After the higher the number, the better the camera ... That would cost another $ 50? Maybe $ 100, but would be more appetizing, the eyes of a layman.

At that end of the market, a $50 or $100 difference can be very significant.

Upvote 0
Jun 20, 2013
ajfotofilmagem said:
neuroanatomist said:

considering the 1200D is around $549 including kit lens MSRP, and retails now for $399 as a kit, $50 to $100 would be significant.

it's a refresh over canon's lowest priced DSLR.

not sure why people are whining and expecting it to what.. match the T6i specs?

Upvote 0
Feb 8, 2013
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/DIGIC

Looking at Wikipedia, it sounds like the Digic 5 to Digic 4+ downgrade is a fairly steep one.
That said, maybe they're getting better battery life. The 1100D still has the best battery life of any Rebel.
Of course the addition of Wi-Fi would reduce the CIPA measured battery life, so using it with Wi-Fi off might be an improvement over the 1200D.

Edit: Whoops!

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/products/details/cameras/dslr/eos-rebel-t5-ef-s-18-55-is-ii-kit

The T5/1200D is "Digic 4" as listed on the Canon USA website!

Brian at TDP slipped up listing the T5 as Digic 5. That's a huge difference.

That being the case, the 1300D should have 60% more processing power than the 1200D
Canon claims a 60% speed bump over the original DIGIC 4.[9]
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/DIGIC

The final iterations of that 18MP sensor are actually pretty sharp, even comparing the 1200D with the original 7D is fairly dramatic, Canon removed a lot of the AA filter strength from the 650D/T4i onward.

Upvote 0
Feb 8, 2013
KeithBreazeal said:
ajfotofilmagem said:
I do not usually criticize new camera models, only through the specifications. But these are the most discouraging I have ever read.

The SL1 has better specs for the most part.
Maybe they are going for a $299 version.
Or maybe they will give you the body if you buy a kit lens.

I didn't want to say it since it's probably way too much wishful thinking, but I think it would be really smart for Canon to try and get an SLR on the market for $299. These things are really an incredibly good value.
The experience I had moving from a point and shoot to the 1100D was night and day. Maybe too good since kept it instead of the used 5DMkII that I bought a year later.
Just having full compatibility with the most mature photography system on Earth is a very compelling thing.

Upvote 0
ajfotofilmagem said:

My thoughts exactly, absolutely woeful specs for a 2016 camera, even entry level. One can only hope these specs are bogus otherwise the forums will go ballistic.

Upvote 0
KeithBreazeal said:
The SL1 has better specs for the most part.
Maybe they are going for a $299 version.
Or maybe they will give you the body if you buy a kit lens.

Hahaha! You got me on that last statement.

Seriously though, it might be that Canon will try to market this at a low price and make a serious push for the consumers to buy instead of their P&S cameras.

Upvote 0