Canon to Announce a Rebel 1300D Shortly

Feb 8, 2013
Don Haines said:
zim said:
Wi-Fi is exactly the upgrade this camera needed for the target audience. The negativity on display in a camera enthusiasts/geeks forum is hilarious.
Thanks for the laugh kids.
Funny you should say that....

I was talking to a friend a few days ago about getting a "real" camera to take on summer vacation and the requirements were a wide and a long zoom lens, built in flash, light and cheap, and being able to link it her phone...

It's also funny that in all likelihood everyone posting in this thread has the same ideals for a vacation camera.
I think the IQ on the 55-250STM speaks volumes about how seriously Canon is treating the entry level market.

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/ISO-12233-Sample-Crops.aspx?Lens=338&Sample=0&FLI=0&API=0&LensComp=856&CameraComp=963&SampleComp=0&FLIComp=5&APIComp=1
That one is just for kicks, everyone knows the original 400f4DO is Canon's wost Big White ever, and it looks much better stopped down to f8.

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/ISO-12233-Sample-Crops.aspx?Lens=113&Camera=453&Sample=0&FLI=7&API=2&LensComp=856&CameraComp=963&SampleComp=0&FLIComp=5&APIComp=1
This is a little more of an eye opener. Even at f8 the original 100-400IS is shockingly close in IQ to this $300 lens.
Of course AF and IS on the L lens will be vastly superior, but... $300!

The only budget telephoto option on Full Fame is the 75-300IS and that still costs $150 more.
http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/ISO-12233-Sample-Crops.aspx?Lens=358&Camera=453&Sample=0&FLI=4&API=3&LensComp=856&CameraComp=963&SampleComp=0&FLIComp=5&APIComp=1

Upvote 0
to this $300 lens
$150 used... This lens has become one of my favorites. The range makes it pretty versatile, it's light weight and easy to fit in the bag, it focuses faster and quieter than anything else I own and it is sharper than the Tamron 70-300mm VC on a 6d that I got to replace it.

Now, for the real laugh. If I could post JPEGs direct to Facebook from my DSLR ... There are times when I would actually use that and I'm sure I'm not alone.

Upvote 0
neuroanatomist said:
Pitbullo said:
They do lead in terms of sales, but times are changing.

Are times changing? In anything, the most recent data show the decline in dSLR sales slowing down, MILCs still not incresasing growth, and Canon gaining market share. But you're free to interpret the data however you want, your interpretation doesn't have to make sense as long as it makes you happy.
Was that necessary? What do you know about how I feel?
It used to be a two horse race, Nikon and Canon. Now there are a lot more contenders, most in a market Canon is not really trying to contend in, mirrorless. Of course times are changing, Samsung is out, Sony is extremely agressive selling/launching their own cameras and Nikon is giving Canon a run for their money. I am not saying Canon is loosing this competition, as you say, statistics says they still do very well (the best), but times are changing.

Upvote 0
okaro said:
If you know what Digic 4+ is then thins is not the camera for you. The people to which this is targeted do not care a bit of processor types. This is for people who have taken photos with smart phones (forget P&S cameras. In 2015 60 smart phones were shipped for every compact camera). Ability to transfer photos to smart phones or tablets is an essential feature for that customer base. Sure Canon could make it better for a relatively small cost increase but that would only eat sales of the better versions.
This is true

Upvote 0

neuroanatomist

Canon Rumors Premium
Jul 21, 2010
Pitbullo said:
neuroanatomist said:
Pitbullo said:

Are times changing? In anything, the most recent data show the decline in dSLR sales slowing down, MILCs still not incresasing growth, and Canon gaining market share. But you're free to interpret the data however you want, your interpretation doesn't have to make sense as long as it makes you happy.
It used to be a two horse race, Nikon and Canon. Now there are a lot more contenders, most in a market Canon is not really trying to contend in, mirrorless. Of course times are changing, Samsung is out, Sony is extremely agressive selling/launching their own cameras and Nikon is giving Canon a run for their money. I am not saying Canon is loosing this competition, as you say, statistics says they still do very well (the best), but times are changing.

I love how people's personal reality distortion field affects their beliefs. As of the last available IDC report, Canon had gained a little bit of market share, Nikon had lost 2.5%.

But generically speaking, sure...times are changing, as always. Computers get faster, people get older, fossil fuels get used up, the 9th planet is now Planet X instead of Pluto.

Upvote 0
unfocused said:
plam_1980 said:
neuroanatomist said:
HaroldC3 said:
Canon without a clue once more.

Well, someone without a clue, at any rate. Who? Find a mirror...

...your witty sarcasm went down the drain a long time ago...

There are people on this forum who are so incredibly proud of their ignorance that the only logical response is sarcasm.

These cameras, whether they be Nikon or Canon, are geared toward people who want a step up from a point and shoot or more likely a camera phone. It will be offered in a kit with an extra telephoto zoom and will be the most expensive and sophisticated camera they have owned. A small percentage will get hooked and move up the chain, but most will be content with this camera for many years to come.

Perhaps the most ignorant remarks on this thread are from those who downplay the importance of adding wifi/nfc.

Canon, Nikon and Sony all failed miserably in keeping up with the times when it came to connectivity. They paid a high price for their own ignorance in the near-complete devastation of the point-and-shoot market. The fact that Canon (and others) are now finally taking some baby steps to bring their cameras into the 21st century connected world is hugely important, even if they are well behind the curve.

Consumers and professionals alike have been ill-served by camera manufacturers sleepwalking through the whole social media revolution. The companies have deservedly paid a stiff price for their own stupidity, but it reveals one's own ignorance to now criticize them for trying to play a little catch up. The criticism should instead be focused on the fact that the interfaces still tend to be user-unfriendly, non-intuitive and lack any meaningful editing options, all things that are available in abundance to consumers on their phones.

I tend to agree with you, with the remark that if you play catch-up, you can throw in some new stuff, not just the functions that you have omitted the previous time and be like "sorry, we missed it the previous time, you have to buy a new camera just to get it, and you don't get anything else new with it". This is not correct to those who have trusted you in the first place.
But my main point was that people have the right to demand some reasonable improvements, otherwise the companies will always be conservative and just play catch-up, as is the case. I believe that we as consumers should always demand more, even if not all of it is possible, because if we demand less, than we will get even less than that. The fact that once ISO 400 was more than enough does not mean that we cannot ask for more now

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
9VIII said:
Don Haines said:
zim said:
Wi-Fi is exactly the upgrade this camera needed for the target audience. The negativity on display in a camera enthusiasts/geeks forum is hilarious.

I was talking to a friend a few days ago about getting a "real" camera to take on summer vacation and the requirements were a wide and a long zoom lens, built in flash, light and cheap, and being able to link it her phone...

It's also funny that in all likelihood everyone posting in this thread has the same ideals for a vacation camera.
I must confess to liking fast glass, but if you want to get into DSLR photography for what most people consider a reasonable price, it would be hard to beat a Rebel with an 18-55 and a 55-250 lens... This is where the bulk of Canon's sales lie.... they probably sell a thousand of them for each 1DX or 5D? sold... and for the money, you get a pretty decent camera that does a pretty good job.

Upvote 0
neuroanatomist said:
Pitbullo said:
neuroanatomist said:
Pitbullo said:

I love how people's personal reality distortion field affects their beliefs. As of the last available IDC report, Canon had gained a little bit of market share, Nikon had lost 2.5%.

But generically speaking, sure...times are changing, as always. Computers get faster, people get older, fossil fuels get used up, the 9th planet is now Planet X instead of Pluto.
I was not all clear here, but spec wise Nikon is giving canon a run for their money, and that was what I meant. Sorry.

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
winfel said:
Does all of this have ANYTHING to do with the Rebel 1300D???
Some of it does.... but most does not :(

The intended market for this camera does not care about market segmentation, mirrorless, DR, on chip A/D, or any other "advanced" features. They will buy it because it is cheap and takes great pictures in "green-box" mode...

Upvote 0
Oct 26, 2013
rang said:
I'm confused...is this a repost of an old post???
The T6i/s has been out for awhile now and far surpasses this model.

Yes, and it is supposed to. This is the 4th iteration of the 1xxxD line. Each one of this line is a trimmed down, lower MP, older tech model of the most recent rebel. It is THE ENTRY level Canon DSLR, and since they are now on the 4th iteration, my guess is that this strategy sells well and is successful.

Upvote 0
Oct 26, 2013
Don Haines said:
9VIII said:
Don Haines said:
zim said:

I must confess to liking fast glass, but if you want to get into DSLR photography for what most people consider a reasonable price, it would be hard to beat a Rebel with an 18-55 and a 55-250 lens... This is where the bulk of Canon's sales lie.... they probably sell a thousand of them for each 1DX or 5D? sold... and for the money, you get a pretty decent camera that does a pretty good job.

Yes, a very decent camera. And those lenses are excellent for the money. I have a SL1 (with 18-55 kit) and a 6D (with 24-105L). For most daylight landscape type photography, you cannot tell which camera is used on a typical monitor or an 8 x 10 print.

Upvote 0