CPS Changes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim O

Driving the short bus
Aug 6, 2013
I received the following via email just now:

Thank you for your continued Canon Professional Services membership, Canon loyalty and for trusting Canon products for use in your business.

The staff of CPS strives to provide imaging professionals like you with comprehensive service and support benefits. And we are always looking for opportunities to make the CPS program even better. After careful study and consideration, and with your valuable feedback, we are planning to roll out a number of enhancements and updates to the CPS program. The purpose of this email is to give you a summary of these enhancements and updates, which we anticipate will be effective for all members in two phases: the 4th quarter of 2013 and early 2014 with the introduction of a new CPS Cinema level. Details will be available on the CPS website as these enhancements and updates become available.

The program updates and enhancements are as follows:

We are renaming the Clean & Check process to Canon Maintenance Service (CMS) and eliminating the paper voucher. The number of items that may be sent in for CMS is being increased for eligible CPS members. Platinum members will be able to send 10 eligible items, and Gold members will be able to send 5 eligible items, during each membership year. The number of items sent in for CMS will be tracked by Canon internally.

Based on your feedback, we are shortening the period for each evaluation loan from two weeks to one week. This will also have the effect of increasing the total amount of equipment available for evaluation loans to eligible members.

In an effort to concentrate our efforts on our core professional members, we will no longer include the EOS 60D camera, and future successor model cameras, as qualifying equipment for any level. However, owners of such equipment will still be eligible to receive repair benefits covered by the program.

In early 2014, the Cinema EOS C100 camera and all Cinema Prime Lenses will be added as qualifying equipment to the CPS Gold and Platinum membership levels. And we are planning to launch a new CPS Cinema level tailored to owners of other Cinema EOS cameras and lenses.

In an effort to balance program benefits, we are adjusting the repair discounts from their current levels. Therefore, repair discounts are being changed to 30% for Platinum level members and 20% for Gold level members. Also, there will be a cap on the number of annual repairs to which the discount can be applied, Gold level members can receive the repair discount on a maximum of 10 eligible items and Platinum level members can receive the repair discount on a maximum of 15 eligible items.

The annual fee for Platinum membership will be reduced from $500 to $300. The annual fee for the Gold membership level will remain at $100, and the Silver membership level will remain free to qualified professionals.

For organizations with large amounts of eligible Canon equipment and/or large photography staff, we are launching Enterprise CPS, which is designed to suit the needs of medium to large size organizations like newspapers, photo studios, rental houses, etc. In addition to some of the traditional CPS benefits, Enterprise CPS clients can receive benefits like on-site equipment maintenance, higher repair caps and streamlined billing. The details of this new program will be provided at a later date.

We have also increased our support of the professional imaging market in less direct, but significant, ways. For example, you may have noticed that, during 2013, CPS increased the number of major sporting events, training workshops, and trade shows where on-site support is provided to eligible CPS members. These events are an important way for us to support and communicate with our members.

We recently opened two new service facilities, one in Hollywood, CA and another in Ridgefield Park, NJ just outside of New York City. These two new facilities are available to CPS Gold and Platinum level members (as well as our broadcast/cinema professionals). An advance reservation is required for all service and support requests handled by the Hollywood and Ridgefield Park facilities. CPS Gold and Platinum members requesting support should call the CPS hotline at 1 (888) CPS-4540 to make a reservation. And we are currently planning to open a third service facility that will support the Chicago market later this year. All with the goal of bringing Canon's award-winning repair and maintenance services closer to our CPS members.

Although the CPS program is changing in some significant ways, some aspects of CPS member support are not going to change: our unwavering commitment to speed and quality, as well as acting on your repair and maintenance requests with repair turnaround times of two business days for Platinum members and three business days for Gold members, as more fully described in the program terms and conditions. Temporary loaners while products are in for repair will continue to be available per the terms and conditions of the various membership levels. And dedicated, priority support will still be available for CPS members via phone or email, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

These enhancements will be rolled out via e-mail communications to our members, detailing the specific changes by membership level, effective date and describing new programs like Enterprise CPS and CPS Cinema. Ensuring your smooth transition to these new benefits is very important, so we want to hear from you if you have any questions.

We are honored to have the opportunity to help you achieve success in your imaging pursuits and to support your passion for image-making. Thank you again for trusting Canon with supporting your business.

Kind Regards,

The Canon Professional Services Team, Canon U.S.A., Inc.
cps.usa.canon.com

Attachments

• cps.jpg
    cps.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 989

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
Me too. As a Gold member, I am very unhappy about the repair discount dropping from 30% to 20%.

I like my 60D as a backup camera and as something easy to shoot video with or hand to a second shooter, so I'm sorry to hear that it and its successors (which for now, I guess, means the 70D), have been dropped down in Canon's caste system. I thought with the 70D getting MFA, the product line was coming UP in status.

Upvote 0

Jim O

Driving the short bus
Aug 6, 2013
YuengLinger said:
Me too. As a Gold member, I am very unhappy about the repair discount dropping from 30% to 20%.

I like my 60D as a backup camera and as something easy to shoot video with or hand to a second shooter, so I'm sorry to hear that it and its successors (which for now, I guess, means the 70D), have been dropped down in Canon's caste system. I thought with the 70D getting MFA, the product line was coming UP in status.

The 60D is still eligible for the benefits. You just won't get the 2 points toward the membership.

I think I'll use the increased "CMS" benefit to greater value than the 10% difference in discount. For me it's easy. I can just bring two to three at a time to Newport News which isn't far and to which I travel a couple of times a month. While they advertise a three day turnaround, I usually have my stuff back in three days total (two for the cleaning and one for the transit back).

Upvote 0

Jim O

Driving the short bus
Aug 6, 2013
Mt Spokane Photography said:
I'll pass on the 70D and wait for the next pro level camera with dual pixels. I qualify for platinum, but don't use CPS enough to justify it. I've only had one repair over the last 3 or 4 years.

Canon has made clear they're not looking at 60D and its successors as "pro level" bodies.

I've had one recent repair that paid for Gold level for the year. The new "CMS" benefit is much more interesting to me and, again for me, far outweighs the cut in the repair benefit. It now is 10/year, up from two, and includes camera bodies.

Upvote 0
It is disappointing that the repair discount is being lowered...but hopefully repairs are very rare. It's also a bummer the equipment evaluation is being reduced to 1 week. That's kinda lame :(

And I guess with the 7D kinda being the successor to the 50D line and 6D coming in, the xxD line has moved to the step above the Rebel which may make sense to exclude those. However, it's really crappy for current owners who already have it setup in CPS and may need those couple of points to qualify for Gold and/or Silver.

I do like the increase in number of free cleanings and the fact we don't need to keep track of the paper coupons any more.

And while the Hollywood office is great and all...it's still only during the daytime/business hours which doesn't help most of us hobbyists who have a day job. For working photographers it's likely easier to get to, so that's not so bad for them.

Upvote 0

gferdinandsen

was mich nicht umbringt, macht mich stärker
Drizzt321 said:
And while the Hollywood office is great and all...it's still only during the daytime/business hours which doesn't help most of us hobbyists who have a day job. For working photographers it's likely easier to get to, so that's not so bad for them.

Don't CPS member have to be professional full-time image makers? CPS is not aimed at the amateur/hobbyiest, so it does not matter that it's during business hours.

Upvote 0
gferdinandsen said:
Drizzt321 said:

Don't CPS member have to be professional full-time image makers? CPS is not aimed at the amateur/hobbyiest, so it does not matter that it's during business hours.

Actually no. Anyone with enough points (e.g. qualifying equipment) can join CPS. True, the Platinum level isn't really aimed at someone like me, but the Gold feels like it kinda is. Either as a serious hobbyist, or if I'm doing some photography as a part-time side business.

That said, I'm not angry or frustrated at the business hours, just it'd be nice if they were open to 6-6:30pm so I could run up there after work and drop off something to be cleaned and pick it up the next day or two without worrying about shipping. On the whole, not a big deal. UPS is really cheap for next-day because the Irvine center is nearby.

Upvote 0

gferdinandsen

was mich nicht umbringt, macht mich stärker
Drizzt321 said:
gferdinandsen said:
Drizzt321 said:

Actually no. Anyone with enough points (e.g. qualifying equipment) can join CPS. True, the Platinum level isn't really aimed at someone like me, but the Gold feels like it kinda is. Either as a serious hobbyist, or if I'm doing some photography as a part-time side business.

That said, I'm not angry or frustrated at the business hours, just it'd be nice if they were open to 6-6:30pm so I could run up there after work and drop off something to be cleaned and pick it up the next day or two without worrying about shipping. On the whole, not a big deal. UPS is really cheap for next-day because the Irvine center is nearby.

I was under the impression that you needed to be a full-time photographer

http://www.cps.usa.canon.com/about_cps/about.shtml
Canon Professional Services (CPS) provides exceptional benefits for individual full-time imaging professionals.

Upvote 0
mackguyver said:
Per the CPS Terms & Conditions (http://www.cps.act.cusa.canon.com/sys/attachments/terms_conditions_revised_2012.pdf):
"Applicant must be a full-time self-employed individual or an employee of a professional imaging business who plays a direct role in the creation of moving or still images."

So I call myself a self-employed photographer and create still images. Oh yea, and I don't currently get paid for my work because I'm "an artist". I don't think they care all that much, as long as I don't obviously abuse any bit of the program.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Drizzt321 said:
mackguyver said:
Per the CPS Terms & Conditions (http://www.cps.act.cusa.canon.com/sys/attachments/terms_conditions_revised_2012.pdf):
"Applicant must be a full-time self-employed individual or an employee of a professional imaging business who plays a direct role in the creation of moving or still images."

So I call myself a self-employed photographer and create still images. Oh yea, and I don't currently get paid for my work because I'm "an artist". I don't think they care all that much, as long as I don't obviously abuse any bit of the program.

It's sort of like Student-Teacher versions of software, only even less stringent. The rules are fairly loose and they don't really make any effort to verify, as long as you've sunk most of your life savings into Canon equipment and pay the money, they trust you.

It's an additional revenue stream for Canon USA and I suspect that being a bit lax on the employment qualifications helps generate revenues that keep the service affordable for full time all-your-income-from-photography pros.

I wonder if shortening the time frame for loaners will have any impact on the refurbished store. Something tells me that is one source of the supply of refurbs.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Drizzt321 said:
mackguyver said:

Yeah, that would work. I can also rationalize that I am an employee of a professional imaging business for which I create still images (never mind that I'm using Zeiss cameras to do that!).

But mostly it's that I haven't needed it. I can clean my own sensor (and Canon just saved me the trouble with a free clean when I took it in for the lubrication recall). OTOH, taking it in made me realize that it's pretty easy for me to do that a few times per year (I'm in NJ for business pretty often, and the Jamesburg service center is just a 20 minute drive from where I often need to be). The real advantage for me would be if I need a repair, and they just cut that incentive by 33%.

Upvote 0
gferdinandsen said:

In some countries the answer to that question is yes. In many parts of Asia to be a CPS member you need to be able to prove you are a professional photographer.

CPS in the US is very, very different.

Upvote 0
expatinasia said:
gferdinandsen said:

In some countries the answer to that question is yes. In many parts of Asia to be a CPS member you need to be able to prove you are a professional photographer.

CPS in the US is very, very different.

You have to be a full time professional, at least on paper

Upvote 0

Krob78

When in Doubt, Press the Shutter...
Aug 8, 2012
The Florida Peninsula
neuroanatomist said:
Drizzt321 said:
mackguyver said:

Yeah, that would work. I can also rationalize that I am an employee of a professional imaging business for which I create still images (never mind that I'm using Zeiss cameras to do that!).

But mostly it's that I haven't needed it. I can clean my own sensor (and Canon just saved me the trouble with a free clean when I took it in for the lubrication recall). OTOH, taking it in made me realize that it's pretty easy for me to do that a few times per year (I'm in NJ for business pretty often, and the Jamesburg service center is just a 20 minute drive from where I often need to be). The real advantage for me would be if I need a repair, and they just cut that incentive by 33%.
The real advantage for me would be if I need a repair, and they just cut that incentive by 33%.
++1 about that!
Guess I better get my repairs in before 4th quarter gets here!

Upvote 0
I just upgrade to gold today. I want to try a full frame body and it was the cheapest way. I could rent it for a day for about $100 locally or get free stuff. I shoot a t2i and not even close to a professional and had no trouble being a silver and gold member. My job is construction, the only picture that are used at work are taking with a cell phone.

Upvote 0

Jim O

Driving the short bus
Aug 6, 2013
neuroanatomist said:
The real advantage for me would be if I need a repair, and they just cut that incentive by 33%.

Not entirely. Return shipping is free for CPS Gold members and that is at 100%. On my last invoice it was $23 if I recall correctly. On a low cost repair that may be a substantial percentage of the benefit.

Consider a $250 repair today. The discount is $75. Add the $23 for shipping and your discount is $98.

Now consider how much the same repair would be worth after 10/1. The discount is reduced to $50 plus the $23 for shipping. The net benefit reduction is 25/98 or 25.5%. That's a low number but not that far off from my recent repair of a dropped lens in which the elements were undamaged.

On a $1000 repair the percentage value of shipping is much lower, but the repair discount alone, without shipping, is still twice the annual membership.

A $350-400 repair plus free return shipping (which will be higher next year than this since FedEx goes up every year) will make it a wash, and then you get the cleanings for free.

There is still some value in the loaner service, even at one week, and also in the semi-guaranteed turnaround time on repairs.

For $100 it's repair insurance for me. Same thing for many others and I suspect Canon looked at the numbers and saw that their costs were very high. They made the bar to breaking even for a CPS member higher, but only by a few dollars. To insure a collection the size of yours against repairs, it's really cheap insurance, even with the reduced benefit.

Insurance rates are always rising. There are two ways it's done. Raise the premium or reduce the benefit. A perfect example of the latter is what US property insurers did after Hurricanes Katrina and Rita. The changed the deductible methodology. Instead of being a fixed amount as it is for fire or other wind peril, "named storms" now have a deductible that is a steep percentage of the value of the property. I don't recall for sure, but I'm fairly certain they did not reduce premiums correspondingly.

UPS raised their their insurance charges this year, as did FedEx. Again, if I recall correctly, last year UPS got $0.80/$100 declared value. This year I believe it's $0.85/$100.

Canon has been offering a 30% discount at a fixed price and without regard to the value of the collection for awhile now, even as their costs (labor, healthcare, shipping,etc.) have risen. They had a choice to "raise the premium" or to "reduce the benefit". They chose the latter.

Upvote 0
I will say, as a working professional, I find CPS to be invaluable and saw it as a form of recognition many years ago when I was accepted in CPS and frankly to see so many people who are not professionals taking advantage of CPS and knowingly lie to Canon is very disheartening. Kinda like when amateurs undercut professional photographers and lower the standard of photography across the industry. I will concede that Canon has allowed this to get out of control by not having tighter restrictions and they need to fix it. But knowing that a good part of those people who are bringing upon us these restrictions are those who are taking advantage of the program is disturbing....

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.