EOS 1V Film SLR

Status
Not open for further replies.

gferdinandsen

was mich nicht umbringt, macht mich stärker
CanonGrunt said:
Hello!

Where would be the best place to pick up an EOS 1V? I want to find one in a good condition that will last a while. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

I'd suggest EBay, a used EOS 1vHS sells for about $400 used. It's a great camera, I regretted getting rid of min so I just picked up one on EBay for $320 (I paid $2100 for mine new back in 2001)

Upvote 0
P

paul13walnut5

If you reeeeeally want a 1V, then we need to know your region, in the UK ffordes.com, lcegroup.co.uk are good and carry lots of used stock with a guarantee.

I would, being devils advocate, steer you towards a 3 instead.

The difference in price is quite vast, the difference in camera, not so much.

Plastic shell, but metal chassis, same AF, almost the same speed with the PB-E1 or PB-E2.
Same layout.

You'll miss:

The exclusivity.
The viewfinder blind.
The EOS link software (if you have a windows 98 machine kicking around)
The 100% viewfinder (The 3 is 98 or 97 as I recall)

The 1V is a sensationally great camera. So is the 3, and lots more around, and cheaper, and often cherished by amateurs rather than battered by pros.

Just a thought.

Upvote 0
They seem to be readily available from the used camera dealers in Japan. I poked around a bunch of these shops on my last work trip to Tokyo, and I was extremely tempted to pick up a mint-looking EOS 1vHS I came across. (Only reason I didn't was because I have decided to use my medium format gear for film and stick to my 5D2 for 35mm format for now.)

The 1vHS was priced somewhere between $400-$500, so not a bargain, but the Japanese do tend to look after their gear. A lot of these shops sell through eBay as well so you may find something there, but pay attention to the shipping costs which can be significant. Unfortunately the exchange rate between the Yen and the dollar is not so good right now for those of us in the US. It may be a different story for other countries.

If you do ever find yourself in Japan, I would strongly recommend searching out a few of these dealers, just to browse if nothing else. The quantity and variety of used gear is staggering, despite the tiny size of most of the shops. They are often very hard to find but the internet comes to the rescue - try a search for "Japan Camera Hunter shopping guide" for example.

Upvote 0
I picked up an EOS-3 and EOS Rebel 2000 along with a couple of older, manual flashes for $120 about a year ago in the US. Found locally on a buy/sell website called Craigslist. Guy selling them got them from his dad with the instruction to get whatever he could for them. Totally worth it and have used both bodies shooting Ilford Black and White film. Highly recommend just picking up a mint EOS-3 somewhere.

EDIT: This thread has inspired me to pick up some film and go shooting "old school" this weekend!

Upvote 0
jcollett said:
I picked up an EOS-3 and EOS Rebel 2000 along with a couple of older, manual flashes for $120 about a year ago in the US. Found locally on a buy/sell website called Craigslist. Guy selling them got them from his dad with the instruction to get whatever he could for them. Totally worth it and have used both bodies shooting Ilford Black and White film. Highly recommend just picking up a mint EOS-3 somewhere.

EDIT: This thread has inspired me to pick up some film and go shooting "old school" this weekend!

Me too. It's happened before when the EOS-3 was discussed.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.