EOS M5 - first impressions

• Thread starter Deleted member 378664
  • Start date
M5: 2-3 seconds shutter delay in dark scenes (with manual flash and focus)

when shooting dark scenes (eg 1/10 F4.5 ISO 6400 with the 11-22) and using flash
the M5 needs up to 2-3 seconds when pressing the shutter all the way down immediately,
even when Focus is set to manual and when flash is set to manual so that no preflash is fired

In the same scene without flash or in brighter scenes this does not occur.

I tested this with several lenses, ( even without lens), with the internal and with external flash
I also tried "all" settings which could have an influence, and reset-ted the Camera

if you press the shutter half way for that time it fires immediately

we talked about that here (in German) http://www.dslr-forum.de/showthread.php?t=1757553

Canon Germany confirmed that in a mail http://www.dslr-forum.de/showpost.php?p=14347856&postcount=43 from today...

Upvote 0
May 4, 2011
Re: M5: 2-3 seconds shutter delay in dark scenes (with manual flash and focus)

Stefan Keller said:
when shooting dark scenes (eg 1/10 F4.5 ISO 6400 with the 11-22) and using flash
the M5 needs up to 2-3 seconds when pressing the shutter all the way down immediately,
even when Focus is set to manual and when flash is set to manual so that no preflash is fired

I tested this with several lenses, ( even without lens), with the internal and with external flash
I also tried "all" settings which could have an influence, and reset-ted the Camera

we talked about that here (in German) http://www.dslr-forum.de/showthread.php?t=1757553

Canon Germany confirmed that in a mail http://www.dslr-forum.de/showpost.php?p=14347856&postcount=43 from today...

The M10 has the same issue. Sorry to hear that there's been no improvement in this area...

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA

Act444 said:
Stefan Keller said:

The M10 has the same issue. Sorry to hear that there's been no improvement in this area...

What makes this a smarter choice than the eos 80D, which is hardly any bigger once a lens is attached, and has a whole galaxy more of lenses to choose from. And battery life, and a bright OVF...

Who is the target customer?

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011

YuengLinger said:
Act444 said:
Stefan Keller said:

What makes this a smarter choice than the eos 80D, which is hardly any bigger once a lens is attached, and has a whole galaxy more of lenses to choose from. And battery life, and a bright OVF...

Me, I'll buy one.

Compared to my 1DS MkIII and 35 f2 IS the M5 and 22 f2 are tiny, compare the M5 and 15-45 with a 5D Mk anything with a 24-70 f4 and the M package is still much smaller.

The IQ from APS-C is plenty good enough most of the time and software makes it simple to effectively make the sensor larger much of the time.

The killer 'feature' of the M line is size, and I think that is where Canon are coming from. Those hoping for FF and fast primes are not going to get what they want from Canon for many years, if ever.

Upvote 0
Nov 4, 2011

YuengLinger said:

Me. I will likely buy M5 once price reaches my target price [€ 800 / body]. Although I would have greatly preferred a more compact camera body and "rangefinder style" form factor without bulky hump on top.

Size advantage is huge. I had xxD and xxD DSLRs and 7D in the past and have a 5D3 currently. Bag with 5D3 plus 24-70/2.8 and 70-200/2.8 II is about 4 times the volume and weight compared to my bag with EOS M plus EF-M 22/2, 18-55, 11-22, 55-200.

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA

AvTvM said:
YuengLinger said:

Me. I will likely buy M5 once price reaches my target price [€ 800 / body]. Although I would have greatly preferred a more compact camera body and "rangefinder style" form factor without bulky hump on top.

Size advantage is huge. I had xxD and xxD DSLRs and 7D in the past and have a 5D3 currently. Bag with 5D3 plus 24-70/2.8 and 70-200/2.8 II is about 4 times the volume and weight compared to my bag with EOS M plus EF-M 22/2, 18-55, 11-22, 55-200.

Why compare to a 5DIII, a large FF DSLR?

Compared to the 80D, weight is about 33% less, bulk of body only about 20% less, but that can, of course, change depending on the lens.

No doubt it's smaller than an 80D. Is that the main advantage? I can that as very important.

Upvote 0
Oct 26, 2013

YuengLinger said:
AvTvM said:
YuengLinger said:

Compared to the 80D, weight is about 33% less, bulk of body only about 20% less, but that can, of course, change depending on the lens.

No doubt it's smaller than an 80D. Is that the main advantage? I can that as very important.

Better check your math. The M5 is 42% lighter and approx. 45% smaller by area of body than the 80d. That is a huge difference. And when you use the native M lenses, the difference is much greater still. I just bought an M5 because the size of the body (small) and the size of the sensor (larger APS-C, compared to MFT).

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA

dak723 said:
YuengLinger said:
AvTvM said:
YuengLinger said:

Better check your math. The M5 is 42% lighter and approx. 45% smaller by area of body than the 80d. That is a huge difference. And when you use the native M lenses, the difference is much greater still. I just bought an M5 because the size of the body (small) and the size of the sensor (larger APS-C, compared to MFT).

Regarding weight, I stand corrected. However, I stand by the roughly 20% difference in dimensions. In my mind, "bulk" refers to how much room it will take to stash in a bag. For this, I compare the height, width, and depth, which would be 15%, 15%, and 23%, respectively. Stashing in a bag means we are restricted to the smallest space available for any single dimension, not total surface area of the object. Does this make sense?

From Canon's European web specs:
80D: 139.0 x 105.2 x 78.5mm
M5: 115.6 x 89.2 x 60.6

Of course the lenses make a huge difference, but with something such as a 24mm 2.8 pancake (a joy) or other small lens, I still see a marginal size advantage. But, as AvTvM was suggesting, the advantage grows with the number of lenses brought along...Except there aren't many lenses YET for the M5.

And didn't an encounter with the M5 end very badly for its creator, Dr. Daystrom? ::)

Seriously, I'm very glad Canon is making the effort!

Attachments

• 320x240.jpg
    320x240.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 825
Upvote 0
Oct 26, 2013

YuengLinger said:
Regarding weight, I stand corrected. However, I stand by the roughly 20% difference in dimensions. In my mind, "bulk" refers to how much room it will take to stash in a bag. For this, I compare the height, width, and depth, which would be 15%, 15%, and 23%, respectively. Stashing in a bag means we are restricted to the smallest space available for any single dimension, not total surface area of the object. Does this make sense?

Well, I don't want to make a big deal out of this - and how much of a size advantage may depend on the bag size you have - but even if you place each camera flat in the bag, you gain space in two dimensions, not a single dimension as you are using for your calculations. So, flat in your bag, the M5 is still 35% smaller not even counting the reduction in height.

Upvote 0
troy19 said:
Photorex said:
troy19 said:
Thanks for the info. After disabling "Continious AF" touchfocussing is disabled too. It is as you described: Shutter release then has to be half pressed to focus. This behaviar is documented in manual chapter Modus P / Focussing / Changing focus setup and the given reason is saving battery. So obviously Canon crippled this 80d-function :(

From Canons point of view it's only logical, because the 80D does have a "bigger" battery. So they can avoid M5 customer complaints about the fast drain of the battery.

I'm missing the green confirmation frame when touch focussing. The green frame is only displayed when focussing by half-press the shutter release button. But I rarely use continuos AF.
Maybe in future firmware Canon gives us the choice to enable touchfocus in all AF-modes. Same with coloured frames when touchfocussing. I'm convinced Canon is collecting user opinions and implement some of them in future firmware 1.1. :)

In the meantime I enjoy shooting with the M5 ;)

My M5 touch focuses all the time, even with continuous AF disabled. Is there another setting that I'm missing? It works without having to half press the shutter button. My current set-up:

AF Operation: One Shot (also works with Servo)
AF Method: 1-pt AF
AF Frame Size: Normal (continuous AF disabled with small)
Continuous AF: Off
Focus Mode: AF (also works with AF+MF)
AF Assist Beam: On (also works off)

I've been using touch focusing almost all the time since I started using my M5 and its always worked regardless of other settings I've tried.

Upvote 0
This is really strange. I tried two m5s. They behave the same way. In order to use touch focus, continuous AF must be enabled. I am confused now. Can more m5 owners chime in?

bholliman said:
troy19 said:
Photorex said:
troy19 said:
Thanks for the info. After disabling "Continious AF" touchfocussing is disabled too. It is as you described: Shutter release then has to be half pressed to focus. This behaviar is documented in manual chapter Modus P / Focussing / Changing focus setup and the given reason is saving battery. So obviously Canon crippled this 80d-function :(

From Canons point of view it's only logical, because the 80D does have a "bigger" battery. So they can avoid M5 customer complaints about the fast drain of the battery.

I'm missing the green confirmation frame when touch focussing. The green frame is only displayed when focussing by half-press the shutter release button. But I rarely use continuos AF.
Maybe in future firmware Canon gives us the choice to enable touchfocus in all AF-modes. Same with coloured frames when touchfocussing. I'm convinced Canon is collecting user opinions and implement some of them in future firmware 1.1. :)

In the meantime I enjoy shooting with the M5 ;)

My M5 touch focuses all the time, even with continuous AF disabled. Is there another setting that I'm missing? It works without having to half press the shutter button. My current set-up:

I've been using touch focusing almost all the time since I started using my M5 and its always worked regardless of other settings I've tried.

Upvote 0

troy19

Life w/o photography ? Possible, but pointless !
Dec 19, 2011
bholliman said:

Checked the above settings with my M5 and couldn't get Touch AF working with continous AF disabled.

Are we talking about different things?

1. I noticed a liitle change in EVF brightness when aiming at darker or brighter viewfinder targets. That's regular behaviour with EVF I think. At first I thought the cam focused but looking further it was just the little brightnes changing.

2. Saying Touch AF doesn't work with continous AF disabled I'm referring to Touch AF only. Whereas Touch Shutter is working with continous AF disabled.

Would like to have other M5 users checked this. Thanks.

Upvote 0
troy19 said:
bholliman said:

Checked the above settings with my M5 and couldn't get Touch AF working with continous AF disabled.

Are we talking about different things?

1. I noticed a liitle change in EVF brightness when aiming at darker or brighter viewfinder targets. That's regular behaviour with EVF I think. At first I thought the cam focused but looking further it was just the little brightnes changing.

2. Saying Touch AF doesn't work with continous AF disabled I'm referring to Touch AF only. Whereas Touch Shutter is working with continous AF disabled.

Would like to have other M5 users checked this. Thanks.
Photorex said:
Hello troy,

I can confirm your statement. Touch Focus only possible when continous AF is enabled.

Maybe bholliman has switched the mode dial to video instead of Av, Tv or M?

Frank

Sorry for the confusion, I wasn't reading/understanding the earlier posts completely. I thought the discussion was about the ability to use the LCD to move the focus point with continuous AF disabled.

I can use the LCD screen to move the AF point in any focus mode, but it only "touch focuses" when Continuous AF is enabled.

This is exactly how I would expect and want the camera to operate, so that might be part of why I thought the discussion was about the ability to move the focus point. Personally, I want to control AF lock by half pressing the shutter button (or AE lock button when using BBF) when in single shot mode. Touch focusing makes sense and seems to work well when using servo, continuous drive and focus.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012

dak723 said:
YuengLinger said:

Well, I don't want to make a big deal out of this - and how much of a size advantage may depend on the bag size you have - but even if you place each camera flat in the bag, you gain space in two dimensions, not a single dimension as you are using for your calculations. So, flat in your bag, the M5 is still 35% smaller not even counting the reduction in height.

+1
No, it doesn't make sense. The space occupied by an object is its volume, not length or area. For cubic bodies, the volume is the height x width x length, and as you first wrote, the M5 is 45% smaller by volume.

Upvote 0
Nov 4, 2011

AlanF said:
+1
No, it doesn't make sense. The space occupied by an object is its volume, not length or area. For cubic bodies, the volume is the height x width x length, and as you first wrote, the M5 is 45% smaller by volume.

Not only "total volume" but also form factor makes quite a difference ... the hump on M5 is bulky. Sony A6500 "rangefinder style" is much easier to pack, despite similar overall volume.

"Best in class" is clearly Sony RX-1R II ... FF sensor plus (pop up) EVF in the smallest possible package so far.

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA

AlanF said:
dak723 said:
YuengLinger said:

+1

Clearly not making real world comparisons. The shape and size with a lens attached must be taken into account. The grip of the 80D is larger, which is where the depth increase comes mostly, but even with the smallest lens, the M5 catches up, as the lens protrudes well beyond the depth dimensions of the 80D.

If you discount shape and adding the lens, in other words, just go by volume, you are not in the real world when comparing effective, practical differences in size.

No, I have not handled an M5. I did borrow a Fuji X-T2 during Thanksgiving, and, comparing it directly to my 80D, realized it didn't make sense if all I wanted was something smaller. Once a lens is on the X-T2, it doesn't feel much smaller, and, ergonomically absolutely didn't work for me. I do see the M5 has a deeper grip.

Nobody is arguing that the M5 is not smaller than the 80D. But the practical difference is not great, and anybody who thinks they are getting something the size of a p&s that can be slipped into a pocket is going to be disappointed.

I still say the advantages of the 80D, even with the size difference, overwhelmingly outweigh the one "pro" of the M5, which is slightly less bulk.

If going for mirrorless, the Fuji X-T2 has better IQ and lenses, and, I believe, best-in-class EVF. (In fact the one that I borrowed really surprised me, even tempted me. Maybe the M5 is just as good--I don't know. Something that will be argued about) And from what I understand, it takes Canon ef lenses with and adapter also. But it isn't for me either, as I don't like EVF as currently implemented, want the longer battery life, better movie, menu, and touch screen functions.

My main point is, if already invested in ef-s and ef lenses, the small size and great features of the 80D outweigh the slight size advantage of an M5. Don't forget the articulated screen which is much more practical...

But, if somebody has no lenses, a slight weight and size advantage matter, why not encourage Canon to keep developing mirrorless? But they'd better get very, very good very, very fast. M5 is a good step.

And mirrorless does have a massive potential market as baby-boomers downsize for various reasons. Will younger enthusiasts see mirrorless as hip, or just another camera bigger than their smartphones?

Upvote 0

YuengLinger said:
AlanF said:
dak723 said:
YuengLinger said:

+1

Clearly not making real world comparisons. The shape and size with a lens attached must be taken into account. The grip of the 80D is larger, which is where the depth increase comes mostly, but even with the smallest lens, the M5 catches up, as the lens protrudes well beyond the depth dimensions of the 80D.

If you discount shape and adding the lens, in other words, just go by volume, you are not in the real world when comparing effective, practical differences in size.

No, I have not handled an M5. I did borrow a Fuji X-T2 during Thanksgiving, and, comparing it directly to my 80D, realized it didn't make sense if all I wanted was something smaller. Once a lens is on the X-T2, it doesn't feel much smaller, and, ergonomically absolutely didn't work for me. I do see the M5 has a deeper grip.

Nobody is arguing that the M5 is not smaller than the 80D. But the practical difference is not great, and anybody who thinks they are getting something the size of a p&s that can be slipped into a pocket is going to be disappointed.

I still say the advantages of the 80D, even with the size difference, overwhelmingly outweigh the one "pro" of the M5, which is slightly less bulk.

If going for mirrorless, the Fuji X-T2 has better IQ and lenses, and, I believe, best-in-class EVF. (In fact the one that I borrowed really surprised me, even tempted me. Maybe the M5 is just as good--I don't know. Something that will be argued about) And from what I understand, it takes Canon ef lenses with and adapter also. But it isn't for me either, as I don't like EVF as currently implemented, want the longer battery life, better movie, menu, and touch screen functions.

My main point is, if already invested in ef-s and ef lenses, the small size and great features of the 80D outweigh the slight size advantage of an M5. Don't forget the articulated screen which is much more practical...

But, if somebody has no lenses, a slight weight and size advantage matter, why not encourage Canon to keep developing mirrorless? But they'd better get very, very good very, very fast. M5 is a good step.

And mirrorless does have a massive potential market as baby-boomers downsize for various reasons. Will younger enthusiasts see mirrorless as hip, or just another camera bigger than their smartphones?

For me there is a huge difference in size between the M5 and 80D. I currently own an M5 and have extensively used 70D's and 80D's. If you compare volumes in cubic cm, the M5 with 22/2 lens is 745cm3 compared with 1,306 cm3 for the 80D with 24mm STM pancake. The 80D is 75% larger by volume. Weight is 532 gr. vs. 855 gr, so the 80D is 61% heavier. Those are big differences in my book.

If you compare the M5+ 15-45 std zoom to the 80D + 18-55 STM the differences are even bigger. The 80D combo is 121% larger by volume and 68% heavier. OK, these lenses cover somewhat different focal ranges, but both are the most compact kit lens option for each body.

I can carry my M5 and 22mm or 15-45mm lens easily in a jacket pocket and not even notice it's there, its so small and light. I certainly can't do that with an 80D or other even a Rebel with equivalent lenses.

Edit/Note: The volumes in the tables below are calculated using the overall height x width x depth which would be accurate if the cameras were perfect cuboids or three dimensional rectangles (terminology probably isn't correct, I'm not a mathematician...).

The actual volume is less, but since the two camera with lenses attached have roughly the same shape, the size ratio is very close.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 212
Upvote 0

Thank you for your quantitative analysis. I was a big fan of the 80d when i had it. It's definitely superior to m5 in many ways. However, to me M5 is more practical. Just like you said, M5 can fit in a jacket pocket. Or even if I hang it around my neck it weighs like nothing. I was very insistent on using L lenses with the 80D. When that's the case the weight saving from using 80D vs. 5dmk3 isn't very obvious. Nowadays I just M lenses exclusively and I'm very happy, especially with the new 18-150. I can really carry my gear everywhere I go without too much concern about weight. To me there's no reason to use EFS lenses. They are not superior to EFM in any way. They weigh more and are bulky. They feel plasticky. What makes sense to me is to either use L lenses for best quality and go for EFM lenses for portability.

bholliman said:
YuengLinger said:
AlanF said:
dak723 said:
YuengLinger said:

+1

For me there is a huge difference in size between the M5 and 80D. I currently own an M5 and have extensively used 70D's and 80D's. If you compare volumes in cubic cm, the M5 with 22/2 lens is 745cm3 compared with 1,306 cm3 for the 80D with 24mm STM pancake. The 80D is 75% larger by volume. Weight is 532 gr. vs. 855 gr, so the 80D is 61% heavier. Those are big differences in my book.

If you compare the M5+ 15-45 std zoom to the 80D + 18-55 STM the differences are even bigger. The 80D combo is 121% larger by volume and 68% heavier. OK, these lenses cover somewhat different focal ranges, but both are the most compact kit lens option for each body.

I can carry my M5 and 22mm or 15-45mm lens easily in a jacket pocket and not even notice it's there, its so small and light. I certainly can't do that with an 80D or other even a Rebel with equivalent lenses.

Upvote 0