Exclusive! DPReview confirms what has already been confirmed. The Canon EOS R3 will be 24mp

rbielefeld

CR Pro
Apr 22, 2015
When will people learn. Canon doesn't release cameras to compete with Sony. Sony releases cameras to compete with Canon and Nikon.
I am pretty sure Sony has had and continues to have Canon's attention. Sony pushed Canon into the mainstream mirrorless game in a big way. I am a Canon shooter of more years than I care to mention, but I also have a good amount of experience with Sony's mirrorless camera's. From my experience in shooting birds in flight and wildlife on a professional basis, Sony cameras and lenses should not be discounted. They are good. Very good. Canon is right to pay attention to what Sony is doing, because a lot of wildlife photographers both professional and enthusiast are paying attention and many have switched to Sony based on what my clientele did shoot and are now shooting. Canon and Sony are in direct competition.

A question I have is in regards to all the talk of Canon making the R3 for professional sports photographers and that these folks do not want or need high mp bodies. How many professional and enthusiast sports photographers are there? This versus how many professional and enthusiast wildlife photographers are in the wild, many of whom want higher mp bodies? I don't have the data, but I would be surprised if wildlife photographers do not outnumber sports photographers. I believe, if I am not mistaken, that Canon stated the R3 was being developed to be a pro-level sports and wildlife camera. At 24mp I believe many wildlife shooters will be left wanting. As always this is just one persons thinking on this subject.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
May 12, 2015
I am pretty sure Sony has had and continues to have Canon's attention. Sony pushed Canon into the mainstream mirrorless game in a big way. I am a Canon shooter of more years than I care to mention, but I also have a good amount of experience with Sony's mirrorless camera's. From my experience in shooting birds in flight and wildlife on a professional basis, Sony cameras and lenses should not be discounted. They are good. Very good. Canon is right to pay attention to what Sony is doing, because a lot of wildlife photographers both professional and enthusiast are paying attention and many have switched to Sony based on what my clientele did shoot and are now shooting. Canon and Sony are in direct competition.

A question I have is in regards to all the talk of Canon making the R3 for professional sports photographers and that these folks do not want or need high mp bodies. How many professional and enthusiast sports photographers are there? This versus how many professional and enthusiast wildlife photographers are in the wild, many of whom want higher mp bodies? I don't have the data, but I would be surprised if wildlife photographers do not outnumber sports photographers. I believe, if I am not mistaken, that Canon stated the R3 was being developed to be a pro-level sports and wildlife camera. At 24mp I believe many wildlife shooters will be left wanting. As always this is just one persons thinking on this subject.
Agreed.

Upvote 0

Bob Howland

CR Pro
Mar 25, 2012
Why? If they want they can go any route just like they did with the 1D and 1DS models.

With the A1 and Z9 there is obviously a market for a top spec high resolution camera, that is what the 1DS was, yet Canon and Nikon have consistently said and made cameras for the ‘sports’ market, built in grip, high fps, top quality build and durability BUT with a modest me count most non pros find laughable. That surely is the R3?
As I recall, the Canon iDs3 was killed off by the 5D3. Nikon introduced a 24Mp D3X to compete with the 1Ds3 but never made a successor. I believe that there is a market for a very high resolution MILC but that market does not require and will not pay for the extreme ruggedness of the pro sports cameras. If you look at the Getty annual photo awards, most of those photos have been taken with 5D-series cameras. That is where the sweet spot is for professional cameras. That is where we'll see 100Mp cameras for the Keith Cooper's of the world.

Let Sony and Nikon do what they want!

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011

I don’t think Sony, per se, pushed Canon into anything, the market responded to one line of cameras Sony made (FF MILC) so Canon, the 800 lb gorilla of the camera market, made a line of FF MILC cameras too.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
As I recall, the Canon iDs3 was killed off by the 5D3. Nikon introduced a 24Mp D3X to compete with the 1Ds3 but never made a successor. I believe that there is a market for a very high resolution MILC but that market does not require and will not pay for the extreme ruggedness of the pro sports cameras. If you look at the Getty annual photo awards, most of those photos have been taken with 5D-series cameras. That is where the sweet spot is for professional cameras. That is where we'll see 100Mp cameras for the Keith Cooper's of the world.

Let Sony and Nikon do what they want!
No, Canon killed off the 1DS series, not the 5 series. Sony and Nikon have revisited the model space and I’m sure, given it is a high priced earner that can share much R&D with the R3, makes sense. Let’s face it, there is no way on earth the R3 and R1 are both going to have sub 30mp, Canon have already said there is an R1 coming, so...... Global shutter, quad pixel AF and high mp, even if that is just a ‘fake’ high given the quad pixel design.

Upvote 0
Great news! This will save $$$$$ in new hard drives! With advent of "AI" software, you can get really good results from upscaling, noise reduction and sharpening. 24mp will be better for sports anyway. I tried my 5DS at an airshow and switched back to the 5D mark IV after seeing the keeper rate go way down.

Upvote 0

rbielefeld

CR Pro
Apr 22, 2015
I don’t think Sony, per se, pushed Canon into anything, the market responded to one line of cameras Sony made (FF MILC) so Canon, the 800 lb gorilla of the camera market, made a line of FF MILC cameras too.
A person can play around with semantics; "pushed" or "responded," it really does not matter. Without Sony doing what it did with mirrorless and the resulting market response, I do not think Canon is all in with mirrorless so rapidly. Canon did not react by just developing a line of FF MILC cameras, it basically quit the DSLR business altogether. Canon saw the writing that Sony painted on the wall and... Well, I am just glad Canon did what they did to get in the game. As a bird and wildlife photographer, I do hope Canon brings forth a camera that is high mp and fast fps with all the great AF, built-in grip, etc. in the very near future. The R5 is great, but the BSI, stacked sensor promises things that the R5 can't produce for those of us who make a living shooting some of the fastest and most elusive subjects on the planet; doing so in the awesome low light of early mornings and late evenings. The R3 may be, in Canon's mind, for the sports shooters, so be it, next bring on the pro R body for us wildlife photographers.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
If one simply looks at winners of all of the recent major wildlife photography competitions, Canon 1D series is always well represented. I wonder what changed between then and now to make higher MP count a must have in 2021? Did all the wildlife photogs all the sudden start printing for billboards?

What other tele lenses Canon plans to bring, hopefully soon, is far more interesting than the MP count of this body.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

rbielefeld

CR Pro
Apr 22, 2015
If one simply looks at winners of all of the major wildlife photography competitions recently, Canon 1D series is always well represented. I wonder what changed between then and now to make higher MP count a must have in 2021? Did all the wildlife photogs all the sudden start printing for billboards?

What other tele lenses Canon plans to bring, hopefully soon, is far more interesting than the MP count IMO.
One thing that changed is the competitions' wanting higher resolution images for the winners. As the res of cameras has increased, so has their want for high res final compositions. Many of these competitions now hang the winners in major exhibitions and they want to print the images the size of walls. When you make the semi-finals or finals (depending on the comp.) they ask you to send in the RAWs and full-size JPGs. If the full-sized JPG is too low res. it may work against you. Make no mistake, a stellar image should and most likely will win even if the final composition is relative low resolution, but if there are two images battling it out for a win and one is low res and the other high, the high may get the nod. Moreover, competitions also are now putting wording in their rules that large crops are to be avoided, again, in part, to increase the probability of getting winning images that are high enough res to print big. Should it be this way, probably not, but these competitions want to be able to use the winning images in many different ways to promote many different things, and higher res images allow for flexibility in use.

Upvote 0

Bob Howland

CR Pro
Mar 25, 2012
One thing that changed is the competitions' wanting higher resolution images for the winners. As the res of cameras has increased, so has their want for high res final compositions. Many of these competitions now hang the winners in major exhibitions and they want to print the images the size of walls. When you make the semi-finals or finals (depending on the comp.) they ask you to send in the RAWs and full-size JPGs. If the full-sized JPG is too low res. it may work against you. Make no mistake, a stellar image should and most likely will win even if the final composition is relative low resolution, but if there are two images battling it out for a win and one is low res and the other high, the high may get the nod. Moreover, competitions also are now putting wording in their rules that large crops are to be avoided, again, in part, to increase the probability of getting winning images that are high enough res to print big. Should it be this way, probably not, but these competitions want to be able to use the winning images in many different ways to promote many different things, and higher res images allow for flexibility in use.
How big is big? I have several prints at 20"x30" Two were taken with a 5D (12MP) and one with a 40D (10MP). They look great but I'm not examining them with a 4X loupe. Viewing distance makes a big difference. Looking at an entire 20X30 seems to require about 30-36" viewing distance.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Great news! This will save $$$$$ in new hard drives! With advent of "AI" software, you can get really good results from upscaling, noise reduction and sharpening. 24mp will be better for sports anyway. I tried my 5DS at an airshow and switched back to the 5D mark IV after seeing the keeper rate go way down.
What you can do to enhance 24 Mpx you can also do to 45 Mpx so it remains ahead In resolution. I currently get very good results using AI software for upscaling etc images from the R5. My photography is generally limited by reach so resolution is my priority. If I was a sports photographer I would have different criteria.

Upvote 0
How big is big? I have several prints at 20"x30" Two were taken with a 5D (12MP) and one with a 40D (10MP). They look great but I'm not examining them with a 4X loupe. Viewing distance makes a big difference. Looking at an entire 20X30 seems to require about 30-36" viewing distance.
They literally said, "the size of walls". 20x30 is a dog house wall.

Upvote 0
This is sarcasm right? Never heard of H M L and CRAW? Storage is beyond cheap these days, specially for slower disks that you don't need to access often. 2 8TB hard drives can be had for mid 300s, even mirrored that's over 300K Craw files with the R5 45 mp

Upvote 0

David_E

Macrophotography
Sep 12, 2019
www.flickr.com
Amazing how many people here are hung up on pixel count, as if that’s the most important camera spec. That’s just plain puerile. Such a camera needs ruggedness for the field and a resolution sufficient to export sharp jpegs for the web. Also excellent ergonomics to not miss the shot while fiddling with controls. The R3 has all of that.

Upvote 0