Exclusive! DPReview confirms what has already been confirmed. The Canon EOS R3 will be 24mp

It is a pity.
A R3 with around 45Mpixel would have been worth the 6000€.
The coming R1 - an R version of my 1DX III - with 24 MPix would have been great. As some professionals mentioned, they mostly do not need more. So an R1 with high MP? I do not believe that. But who knows? M y A1 has 50 MP and an equal Eye-AF like my R5

I cancelled the R3, as I am not physically able to walk miles around anymore. For my birding sessions, the R5 is the better choice.

What is still missing for me is an lightweight 600mm lens. I do use the 200-600mm with the A1 for carrying around, the R5 and 600mm III for stationary images.

There is a lightweight Canon 600mm lens... the RF f/11.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
R&D resources are limited in any company, and given that the MILC lines are newer and expanding, it's logical to focus those resources there for a period of time. That doesn't mean no new DSLRs will be developed and released this year or next year. If we don't see a new DSLR by the end of 2022, then I'd say that's a sign that you're correct.
This is one thing I've thought about, especially as I approach moving over completely to mirrorless. I think it is possible, if unlikely, that sometime in 2022-2023 Canon looks at their mirrorless sales and says:

"We successfully converted 70% of our enthusiast and professional base to mirrorless, but that remaining 30% is never going to budge. We have the resources to lock in that market. Let's take everything we've learned in developing the R series – new sensor tech, new autofocus tech, 1DX III touch button, etc. etc. – and pack as much as possible into a 5DV. We will launch a new marketing campaign, 'The Single Lens Reflex reborn for the 21st Century.' And, while we're at it, let's take the 90D and make a Mark II that has a 40mp APS-C sensor and all the 5DV bells and whistles. With the current state of technology, we can give both cameras a full set of f/11 focus points and unveil an EF 100-500 lens."

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
This is funny. You were somehow surprised that your keeper rate went down? Using a 5Ds to shoot action is--keeping in the spirit of the Olympics--like using a shot put ball to play baseball. You'll never consistently get it in the strike zone.

The 5DS sucks big time as as action camera. What does it do, 4fps? Maybe 5fps if you hold your breath? And is focus is slow as molasses compared to the 5D IV much less current mirrorless offerings. It is truly a portrait/landscape-only camera. What we're talking about here is a Sony A1 range camera--the resolution of a 5DS, the AF speed and accuracy of a Sony A9 with an outrageously fast burst rates. And put all that into a rugged pro-level body.
The 5DSR is a competent camera for birds in flight and dragonflies in flight and the AF is as good as the the 5DIV in my hands. I've posted 100s of images from both here, and I prefer the 5DSR because of distinctly better detail. Here is a selection: some are easy like big birds in flight, but the Storm Petrel, kingfisher and the Pelican just about to hit the water show its capability.

3Q7A5312-DxO_pelican_diving_beak_about to_hit-1.jpg3Q7A4663-DxO_storm_petrel_flying_SH.jpg3Q7A0093-DxO_pied_kingfisher_flying+fish-lssm2_00xAut.jpg3Q7A5670-DxO_Osprey_flying.jpg3Q7A7301-DxO_kestrel_flying_CR.jpg3Q7A0137-DxO_flying_glossy_ibis_vg.jpg3Q7A0128-DxO_yellow-billed_kite_flying.jpg

• Wow
Reactions: 7 users
Upvote 0

HenryL

EOS R3
CR Pro
Apr 1, 2020
The 5DSR is a competent camera for birds in flight and dragonflies in flight and the AF is as good as the the 5DIV in my hands. I've posted 100s of images from both here, and I prefer the 5DSR because of distinctly better detail. Here is a selection: some are easy like big birds in flight, but the Storm Petrel, kingfisher and the Pelican just about to hit the water show its capability.

View attachment 199382View attachment 199383View attachment 199384View attachment 199385View attachment 199387View attachment 199388View attachment 199389
All wonderful, Alan, but that shot of the pelican...WOW!

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

FrenchFry

Wildlife enthusiast!
Jun 14, 2020
This is not a mystery; Canon told you right from the start. This is a sports camera for full-time professional sports shooters, which can also double as a news reportage camera for outlets who maybe have some worn-down 1D Xs that need replacing and they don't want to be left hanging until the R1.
That is what Canon said it would be when they first officially went public with the development of the camera, it's what they've continued to say it would be for in every update since, it's what every 'rumour' site has told you with every update, and it's what you could simply identify for yourself just from looking at the spec sheets.

High speed, high durability, low resolution = sports camera. Exactly as Canon said it would be. Exactly as sports cameras always are. There is absolutely no mystery here at all. There's no question about who it's for.

Are you a full-time professional sports shooter? If yes, this spec is exactly what you want; if anything, 24mp is overkill and brings up worries about buffer sizes and a potential increase to the medium jpg size, which is the most common file type used by sports pros.
If you're not a full-time professional sports shooter then this camera simply is not designed for you. It's not meant to be for you and it should not change to be for you.

I went over this in the previous post, and I'll quote myself to wrap this up:

edit: For the record, I do find the phrasing of CR's post here to be very petulant and petty. DPR certainly have their fair share of problems, but they did get a different, more significant source to confirm a rumoured spec, and a source which CR did not have, at that; that does indeed make DPR's information "exclusive". It's extremely childish to make back-handed comments at their writer just because CR happened to have a less reliable source for the same information previously. This kind of attitude is why so many people, especially within the industry, don't take '[brand]rumor' sites seriously. If you want recognition for your reporting and you don't want larger publications to overlook you, report like an adult.
Have you read the Canon announcement? Have you read the R3 product page on the Canon USA site? They don't seem to say what you claim they say.

Canon has not stated that this is a "sports camera for full-time professional sports shooters." Canon has also not made any comments regarding the R3's resolution, and Canon definitely has not said that this camera is "low resolution".

It might be, but Canon has not stated any of these things.

The product announcement is available here:

It includes just one instance of the word "sports", yet even in this list the use is mentioned third, after nature and wildlife.
The camera body will be entirely new and accentuates the camera’s high-performance design. It’s a one-piece design, integrating the body with a vertical grip section. The weather and dust-resistance will be equivalent to that of EOS-1D class cameras — an essential consideration for nature, wildlife, sports and photojournalism content creators working in extreme conditions. In addition, news photojournalists will be excited to add the Mobile File Transmitter application for iOS and Android devices that will be available.

Upvote 0

FrenchFry

Wildlife enthusiast!
Jun 14, 2020
Just curious. You say Canon is not offering a do-it-all body when other are already doing so or will this year. Do you not consider the R5 a do-it-all body? What is Sony offering that is more do-it-all? Or Nikon? Does a do-it-all body need an integrated grip to be do-it-all, in which case Sony does not have one either.
The R5 is great for many applications, but no, I don't consider it to be a do-it-all body yet (firmware updates for AF would be a welcomed step in the right direction).

Don't take my word for it, just listen to Canon's own description of the R3 from the development announcement:
"This camera will usher in a new category to the EOS R system, positioned squarely between the EOS R5 and EOS-1D X Mark III cameras. The camera will put great emphasis on superb AF performance and speed, with fast-moving subjects. It is being designed to meet the reliability and durability demands of professionals, even when working in challenging conditions."

Canon seems to be aware that the R5's speed and AF performance could be improved on, and considers the R3 to be in a whole new category. Hopefully this translates to a substantial boosts in performance and addresses some of the R5's shortcomings in this regard.

Sony has the A1 and Nikon will soon have the Z9. Both of these cameras offer/will offer high speed performance (30FPS) with 45+MP sensors. An integrated grip is likely helpful for speed due to the larger battery, but I wouldn't consider it a necessity for a do-it-all body. I like the flexibility of being able to remove the grip when using smaller lenses, personally.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Initially, the R3 canon was the R1 canon. But after Sony released the A1, Canon couldn't compete with it with this camera. And so it was renamed R3. Competition is always great, otherwise companies like Canon would still be making DSLR and weak flagships. Thanks Sony.
If it makes you happy to believe that, go right ahead.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
This is one thing I've thought about, especially as I approach moving over completely to mirrorless. I think it is possible, if unlikely, that sometime in 2022-2023 Canon looks at their mirrorless sales and says:

"We successfully converted 70% of our enthusiast and professional base to mirrorless, but that remaining 30% is never going to budge. We have the resources to lock in that market. Let's take everything we've learned in developing the R series – new sensor tech, new autofocus tech, 1DX III touch button, etc. etc. – and pack as much as possible into a 5DV. We will launch a new marketing campaign, 'The Single Lens Reflex reborn for the 21st Century.' And, while we're at it, let's take the 90D and make a Mark II that has a 40mp APS-C sensor and all the 5DV bells and whistles. With the current state of technology, we can give both cameras a full set of f/11 focus points and unveil an EF 100-500 lens."
May the goddess Kwannon listen to your prayer...;)

Upvote 0
Have you read the Canon announcement?
Yes, and apparently much closer than you did.

Some quotes from the shortened version of the US press release, which is what you quoted (bold emphasis mine):
The camera will put great emphasis on superb AF performance and speed, with fast-moving subjects. It is being designed to meet the reliability and durability demands of professionals, even when working in challenging conditions.
even better performance [for] action-type shooting.
The weather and dust-resistance will be equivalent to that of EOS-1D class cameras — an essential consideration for nature, wildlife, sports and photojournalism

And now here are some from the UK press release about the AF system (again, bold emphasis mine):

initial development announcement of the EOS R3 – its latest high-performance, high-speed professional mirrorless camera
R3 takes object-tracking to another level – adding Auto Focus (AF) tracking for motorsports including racing cars and motorbikes
As a result, professional photographers – whether shooting sports, wildlife, or news – can capture fleeting moments in time, in ways they never thought possible.
Professionals following moving objects around the frame will enjoy the EOS R3
the EOS R3 is perfect for motorsports photographers
Built for professionals (bold emphasis not mine)
As a camera intended for leading sports and news shooters

I'm going to quote that last one a second time because it really can not make it any clearer:
As a camera intended for leading sports and news shooters

In total they use the word "professional" or "professionals" eleven times, while variations of 'sport' and 'racing' are used twelve times, all just within eight paragraphs of a single press release.

There's also the simple issue of common sense. Anyone reading sites like this will, presumably, consider themselves to be 'in the know' about the photographic industry as a whole; doubly so if they're keeping an eye on cameras in the £4000+ range. It should not need to be pointed out, to anyone who follows these stories regularly, that a camera with a built-in single-mold vertical grip, the 1D's battery, 30fps and that was being test-run at the Olympics was, very obviously, going to be a sports camera, secondarily for general reporting. And such cameras are never given high-resolution sensors; there's just no point, it's overkill and publications don't like paying for features they won't actually get any use out of. You really only have to have the most surface level knowledge of the industry to spot that the R3 was never going to be anything other than a mirrorless 1D X.

Canon definitely has not said that this camera is "low resolution".
Obviously they did not literally say the phrase "low resolution"; that was, very clearly, my summation of what has been inferred. If your reading comprehension is this poor you shouldn't be trying to talk back to people. Basic reading comprehension should not be too much to ask for. If you don't understand what someone is saying then just say so, so it can be rephrased or otherwise explained to you in another fashion, rather than trying to argue. If you can't follow the comments you're reading then responding just wastes everyone's time.

Upvote 0
Since when has 24 mp or even 20mp FF been ‘low resolution’ ?
Since every site, publisher and youtuber started reporting it as such. Don't look at me, I still use 20mp cameras and with my recent move to sports full-time I'm only shooting medium jpgs. I said in the other thread, 24mp is more than I want and, if anything, a little inconvenient. But the fact of the matter is people are throwing hissy fits because this camera isn't a 50mp+ landscape camera, or even 'just' 30mp, which apparently is now the baseline standard many people are expecting no matter the intended purpose of the product. That's why these articles keep getting posted, that's why they keep getting clicks, so that's the scenario we have to address.

Upvote 0
Jan 27, 2020
You think Canon built this likely $6000 camera to compete with the A9 series? Hmmm How long has the A9 series been on the market? Cheers!
I think Canon releases cameras for a fairly specific market. I don't think they design cameras to compete with anything Sony specifically has or plans to release. This is a pro level body with integrated grip and designed for action. So it is not competing with anything Sony has that I know of. So the price of this camera compared to any Sony camera is somewhat irrelevant for the vast majority of photographers, in my opinion. If you are in the market for an action, pro level camera, you probably have $1,000's (if not more than $10,000) invested in lenses. So, switching to Sony would be most unlikely (and quite foolish).

Upvote 0
Jul 12, 2014
I think Canon releases cameras for a fairly specific market. I don't think they design cameras to compete with anything Sony specifically has or plans to release. This is a pro level body with integrated grip and designed for action. So it is not competing with anything Sony has that I know of. So the price of this camera compared to any Sony camera is somewhat irrelevant for the vast majority of photographers, in my opinion. If you are in the market for an action, pro level camera, you probably have $1,000's (if not more than $10,000) invested in lenses. So, switching to Sony would be most unlikely (and quite foolish).
Good points but Canon has to compete. I have friends who shoot mostly wildlife that have ditched their DSLRs and moved to Sony mirrorless. They sold their old lenses and re-invested in native mounts lenses.

Upvote 0