Exclusive! DPReview confirms what has already been confirmed. The Canon EOS R3 will be 24mp

Good points but Canon has to compete. I have friends who shoot mostly wildlife that have ditched their DSLRs and moved to Sony mirrorless. They sold their old lenses and re-invested in native mounts lenses.
If I had a pound for every time someone had said this, I could afford an R5!

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Jstnelson

EOS R5
Feb 21, 2020
You think Canon built this likely $6000 camera to compete with the A9 series? Hmmm How long has the A9 series been on the market? Cheers!
No, I don't think Canon built it specifically to compete with the A9 series. But for those dying to compare it to Sony (which my comment was in response to), the A9 would appeal to the same demographic of photographer. If you want a great 24 MP sports camera, don't prefer canon, the larger body, better ergonomics, pro body, better LCD res and functionality, better animal eye AF, RF lenses, then save some money and buy an A9 series. Many photographers who want the best 24MP sports camera will prefer the R3 and justify the cost. Just because the R3 is more expensive and includes MANY benefits, doesn't mean it doesn't compete with cheaper similarly-capable cameras on the market.

Upvote 0

Hector1970

CR Pro
Mar 22, 2012
If I had a pound for every time someone had said this, I could afford an R5!
Sales figures are the sales figures and at least according to here (I've no idea what the sales figures are) Canon are not losing market share. If I went back 5 years I knew almost no one who shot with Sony. Now I know alot of photographers with Sony and they tend to be the more serious ones. They tend to be very happy with their choice too (mainly coming from Canon and Nikon). It will be interesting in the next number of years how good the R series will get and whether Canon maintain their market leadership and profit margin. Canon are no fools and are careful how they proceed.

Upvote 0

WJF

May 4, 2021
Great news! This will save $$$$$ in new hard drives! With advent of "AI" software, you can get really good results from upscaling, noise reduction and sharpening. 24mp will be better for sports anyway. I tried my 5DS at an airshow and switched back to the 5D mark IV after seeing the keeper rate go way down.
...and here I was thinking that I was the last remaining 5D Mark IV shooter left. ;)

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

WJF

May 4, 2021
Amazing how many people here are hung up on pixel count, as if that’s the most important camera spec. That’s just plain puerile. Such a camera needs ruggedness for the field and a resolution sufficient to export sharp jpegs for the web. Also excellent ergonomics to not miss the shot while fiddling with controls. The R3 has all of that.
Awesome, then it sounds like the spec's for the R3 are going to be perfect for you. However, don't discredit needed spec's from other photographers. Everyone has the right to their needed requirements.

Upvote 0
But does this truly mean the sensor is 24MP, or does all it confirm is that the cameras are SET to output 24MP files.

What if it has a larger sensor and the firmware of these *prototypes* is set to make it seem like the unit is 24MP.

Then when the production units come out...

If you're testing a product, why would you test with a different firmware to the one that would be released to the public? Surely you'd be wanting to test the product to its limits? The Olympics is perfect for this given the need to capture images at a high speed and also deliver them to various news agencies at high-speed.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Feb 21, 2020
Personally I think there is a realignment of models going on. I don’t see the R3 as lacking much and there is obviously going to be an R1 that will have all the bells and whistles and resolution, quad pixel etc etc. Clearly the R3 is a good enough sports camera that it is being used extensively at the Olympics, hardly a place agencies like Getty or Alamy would be ‘testing’

I see the R3 as effectively being the old 1D series and the R1 being the 1DS series.

Yeah I've said before this is the R1 (aka the mirrorless 1D) in all but name.

As a sports/press camera it's a direct upgrade over the 1DX3 and has shown to be very capable in producing some of the images we've seen from the Olympics.

The only people who could feel left behind are birders, although I really can't see how when the R5 exists. Hell I'm shooting with the M6 Mark II and 70-300mm Nano USM and have been more than happy with the images.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Yeah I've said before this is the R1 (aka the mirrorless 1D) in all but name.

As a sports/press camera it's a direct upgrade over the 1DX3 and has shown to be very capable in producing some of the images we've seen from the Olympics.

The only people who could feel left behind are birders, although I really can't see how when the R5 exists. Hell I'm shooting with the M6 Mark II and 70-300mm Nano USM and have been more than happy with the images.
The birders posting images on CR using the R5 aren’t complaining, quite the opposite.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Possibly the fact that one can buy a pair of 7D II bodies for less than the R5 is a factor for many people.
But we went through the cost options for 'reach' a month or so ago and the RF600 and RF800 are a bit of a game changer for many on a budget with reach limitations.

An R6 and an RF 600 or RF 800 make compelling wildlife cameras for those currently shooting crop and shorter f5.6 lenses. The ff gives them better iso performance and that partially offsets the f11, the newer sensors also give a performance boost to practically level the noise performance field especially when you use some third party software for noise reduction. And the R6 at 20mp with an 800 gives more and higher quality 'pixels on duck' than a crop camera with a shorter lens.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
But we went through the cost options for 'reach' a month or so ago and the RF600 and RF800 are a bit of a game changer for many on a budget with reach limitations.

An R6 and an RF 600 or RF 800 make compelling wildlife cameras for those currently shooting crop and shorter f5.6 lenses. The ff gives them better iso performance and that partially offsets the f11, the newer sensors also give a performance boost to practically level the noise performance field especially when you use some third party software for noise reduction. And the R6 at 20mp with an 800 gives more and higher quality 'pixels on duck' than a crop camera with a shorter lens.
Yes, but the crop ‘R7’ camera would be cheaper. And wouldn’t require a longer lens.

Upvote 0
Apr 19, 2021
Yes, but the crop ‘R7’ camera would be cheaper.
If the R7 was a baby R3 (as most people who want an R7 would appear to like - built in grip, ergonomics, rugged etc) how much cheaper would/could it be? Obviously the sensor & shutter would be smaller and hopefully cheaper, but all the rest would be the same. Maybe the processing would be less demanding (but if 30+ MP like the 90D and 30FPS like the R3 it would be more!) and it could be smaller, saving some materials. Could more than $1,000 be shaved off the cost of an R3 and would people pay that much when the 90D is only $1,200.

As a side note - did I miss something? The 7D Mark II is showing as discontinued in various places.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
If the R7 was a baby R3 (as most people who want an R7 would appear to like - built in grip, ergonomics, rugged etc) how much cheaper would/could it be? Obviously the sensor & shutter would be smaller and hopefully cheaper, but all the rest would be the same. Maybe the processing would be less demanding (but if 30+ MP like the 90D and 30FPS like the R3 it would be more!) and it could be smaller, saving some materials. Could more than $1,000 be shaved off the cost of an R3 and would people pay that much when the 90D is only $1,200.

As a side note - did I miss something? The 7D Mark II is showing as discontinued in various places.
I would prefer a 32 Mpx stacked sensor with whatever improvements in the R3's AF in an R7 with R5 form. I rarely use vertical as I crop most shots and most of my subjects are wider than they are tall. As you imply, the lack of the vertical grip will keep not just the price down but also the weight. I must admit, though, f/7.1 or f/11 with a 32 Mpx sensor with diffraction limited aperture of f/5.2 is losing out on resolution and wider lenses would be needed to take advantage of it.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Let’s hope Canon is able to produce the R1 asap. Because 24mpix is not really what you’d expect in 2021. Except for a few sportsphotographers 24mpix is not enough.
So you keep saying, on the other hand......

Canon R 30mp
Canon RP 26mp
Canon R6 20mp
Canon 1DX III 20mp
Canon 5D IV 30mp
Canon 6D II 26mp

Only the R5 is currently listed by Canon as a current model with appreciably higher mp count than 24. Which begs the question, do you know more about camera sales or does Canon?

Upvote 0