Five new EF-M lenses for the EOS M lineup coming? [CR1]

Bob Howland

CR Pro
Mar 25, 2012
++++ If the R5 is as rumored and has 1.3X and 1.6X crops, I plan to use it as a replacement for my 7D.

A.M: so.. it has not been rumoured but is a your understanding. Ok.

I have never heard of x1.3, x1.6 crops in 5DS either. Pardon my ignorance. Please enlighten me. Thank you.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

IcyBergs

I have a Sony...TV
May 31, 2016
True. That in itself is odd. Why would it be f/2 and not 1.4 or at least 1.8? Price? Size? I would love to see some sales data indicating the "success" of the 32.

With the M line Canon has seemed to prioritize the compact design in their product releases. The 32 f/1.4 is still pretty light at 225g, a 52mm equivalent would probably come in close to what the Sigma 56 1.4 weighs, which is closer to 300g. Even though thats not that heavy in the scheme of things, its still about 30% heavier which isn't insignificant. There are other factors as well like the fact that all the M lenses have the same (exact or very similar) barrel diameter throughout the body of the lens.

The fastest lens prior to the 32 was the 22 f/2, so I think that the 32 is really the exception and at that normal focal length (45-65 35mm equivalent) lends itself to being the smallest/lightest for a fast aperture design. As you go wider and longer from there the lenses get bigger and heavier to maintain the same aperture since they'll require larger elements which will change the aesthetic that seems to be a priority with the M lens designs. So I'm not surprised by the f/2 rumors.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

brad-man

Semi-Reactive Member
Jun 6, 2012
S Florida
With the M line Canon has seemed to prioritize the compact design in their product releases. The 32 f/1.4 is still pretty light at 225g, a 52mm equivalent would probably come in close to what the Sigma 56 1.4 weighs, which is closer to 300g. Even though thats not that heavy in the scheme of things, its still about 30% heavier which isn't insignificant. There are other factors as well like the fact that all the M lenses have the same (exact or very similar) barrel diameter throughout the body of the lens.

The fastest lens prior to the 32 was the 22 f/2, so I think that the 32 is really the exception and at that normal focal length (45-65 35mm equivalent) lends itself to being the smallest/lightest for a fast aperture design. As you go wider and longer from there the lenses get bigger and heavier to maintain the same aperture since they'll require larger elements which will change the aesthetic that seems to be a priority with the M lens designs. So I'm not surprised by the f/2 rumors.
Let's assume that's the case. If Canon is prioritizing size and weight, why didn't they make the 32 at f/2 so it could be smaller and lighter, like the 28? What would be the rationale for making the 32 an outlier? By the way, I'm glad they did as it is a wonderful lens. Would have been perfect if they included a little weather-sealing and IS.

Upvote 0

IcyBergs

I have a Sony...TV
May 31, 2016
Let's assume that's the case. If Canon is prioritizing size and weight, why didn't they make the 32 at f/2 so it could be smaller and lighter, like the 28? What would be the rationale for making the 32 an outlier? By the way, I'm glad they did as it is a wonderful lens. Would have been perfect if they included a little weather-sealing and IS.

I think they did it for possibly 2 reasons:

1) They could
-As I stated the normal focal length range is the most ideal range to be able to deliver a light compact fast aperture design. Meaning technical requirements to design such a lens were within the bounds of the design (aesthetic) requirements.

2) There was strong demand
-I think plenty of M owners were buying up fast 3rd party glass (rokinon etc) and it made good business sense

Upvote 0

dcm

Enjoy the gear you have!
CR Pro
Apr 18, 2013
Colorado, USA
Yes, although a constant 2.8 aperture would have been nice to have. But I understand that it's a compromise made to have a lens that's not too bulky.

I was expecting a constant f/4 aperture in the small form factor - the 2.8 is a bonus.

I was quite happy with the constant f/4 zoom trio (17-40L, 24-105L and 70-200L) that I used with the APS-C EOS 550D/T2i and later a 6D. I think I could live with the same on EF-M.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Ruiloba

80D + R5
Feb 13, 2020
Spain
++++ If the R5 is as rumored and has 1.3X and 1.6X crops, I plan to use it as a replacement for my 7D.

A.M: so.. it has not been rumoured but is a your understanding. Ok.

I have never heard of x1.3, x1.6 crops in 5DS either. Pardon my ignorance. Please enlighten me. Thank you.

My EosR has 1.6x crop mode so the R5 should have it

Upvote 0
I think they did it for possibly 2 reasons:

1) They could
-As I stated the normal focal length range is the most ideal range to be able to deliver a light compact fast aperture design. Meaning technical requirements to design such a lens were within the bounds of the design (aesthetic) requirements.

2) There was strong demand
-I think plenty of M owners were buying up fast 3rd party glass (rokinon etc) and it made good business sense

You wrote about the reasons of the existence of the EF-M 32mm - and yes, both are true IMO. I would like to add two further reasons:

3) A statement that Canon takes the EF-M system serious to keep those non-professionals in the Canon ecosystem who have professional "requirements" in terms of IQ ... maybe until a FF mirrorless solution is available (which is the case).

4) Maybe it is a side product of the RF 50mm in terms of general lens design. Both seem to be "full of glass" to get optimum IQ so development cost has been comparably low.

For me the EF-M 32 is "THE" single lens solution I like most - not only because its IQ - but also because of the 1:4 max. reproduction ratio. This is strong advantage compared to other solutions like Sigma and I hope the other lenses have similar capabilties.

Upvote 0

Danglin52

Wildlife Shooter
Aug 8, 2018
Wow, now we need a M5 MII with great specs and that might get my money, along with the incredible R5.

I am hopeful the lens rumor is true because it seems to be an indication that Canon is putting more resources on M AND we might see a beefed up M5II. Not sure it would happen, but I would buy a M5 II with similar spect so th Fuiji X-T4 without even waiting for the reviews. My only challenge is that I would like to shift to R5 & RF lenses if the specs hold and that would mean I might still have to deal with the multiple lens mount issue. The m5 II could be a backup (7d II style camera?) to my 1dx II, but wouldn't work in that mode with the R5. At the end of the day I could stick with my EF lenses + adaptor for the R5 and m5 II if necessary. I really like the M6 II with the exception of the external EVF / durability and would really like a higher Quilty / faster refresh m5 II internal EVF + rugged body with weather sealing. And yes, I am willing to accept a little bigger/heavier body.

Upvote 0
alright. If R5 is a 45 MP camera, in x1.6 crop mode it becomes a 17.6MP aps-c rig which is at 12 FPS mechanical shutter is, arguably, a reasonable substitute for a 7 series rig unless a heavy cropping was involved.

add bird AF and it toasts the 7D series camera bodies for birders,etc.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
As i mentioned on my post about this .. it seems like a fantasy wish list to me.

It'd be nice, but I really doubt it. I can't see Canon taking critical resources off the RF mount - it's full on RF mount until they get done the ecosystem. There's just no people left to design and roll out EOS-M (or EF) lenses. Every one of those lenses takes a designer off RF lenses.

The EOS-M system ticks along just fine without those lenses.

Now the counter to that is...

I guess if Canon feels they want to sell a M6II or a M5II .. then they may feel lenses are holding the system back from those cameras (rightly so).

So that's the only reason I could even think of that would make Canon decide to develop these lenses.

Upvote 0
Mar 26, 2014
Does this mean an APS-C EOS R just got a lot less likely?

I expect the 7D replacement to come in EOS R mount, as

1. The EOS-M line is made of small, light, consumer cameras & lenses, while a large portion of 7D owners use white super telephotos.

2. The EOS-R line is the pro line, and the 7D is definitely one.

3. The advantage of the 7D over the 1DX is reach, so I don't see Canon dropping the 7D line altogether.

4. Canon could release a twofer 50MP FF camera that would function as both a 5DS replacement when shooting with the full sensor, and a 7D replacement by shooting high fps from a 20MP crop. It can see some sense in it, just don't think its the probable scenario.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
As i mentioned on my post about this .. it seems like a fantasy wish list to me.

It'd be nice, but I really doubt it. I can't see Canon taking critical resources off the RF mount - it's full on RF mount until they get done the ecosystem. There's just no people left to design and roll out EOS-M (or EF) lenses. Every one of those lenses takes a designer off RF lenses. [..]

It could also be the case that Canon has already done the design work on all these EF-M lenses ages ago and is just waiting for the right moment to schedule a production run.

Upvote 0