Full Specifications for the Canon EOS Rebel SL2

wjm

Sep 10, 2012
Maximilian said:
mb66energy said:
About the shocking 9 AF point thing: The german translation marks this spec list as "rumor" and the source is "someone from another country".
That's what I meant, that I am still hoping. But the hints point into other directions.

If you have a good look at the mirror of the camera in the picture of the SL2 (assuming it is the real picture), I think you can see 9 points quite clearly ... :(

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
wjm said:
I only wanted to say that the SL1/SL2 is not only for new users but also more advanced users who want a DSLR and 'go light' (I hardly use my 5DII anymore by the way).

Agreed – that's why I have an EOS M2, and will be ordering an M6 in the very near future (although I still use my 1D X more frequently).

wjm said:
Also I wanted to point out that one might expect an upgrade in AF point 'judging the past'. Nothing more, nothing less.

I think it's fair to say they should have updated the PDAF, especially given that the T6i got the 7D's 19-pt AF sensor, and the T7i got the 80D's 45-pt AF sensor. I can see them reusing an old Digic (like they often do with the xxxxD series), becuase for a camera with basic specs doesn't benefit as much from a faster Digic. But it's really time to retire the old 9-pt AF system...it wasn't new when I used it on my T1i/500D back in 2009.

Upvote 0
gn100 said:
Surprising re AF points ..... I thought a target market for this product was full frame DSLR owners who wanted a small body, so coupled with a pancake would be a great "compact" camera, yet also double as a backup body ..... these people wont be satisfied with 9AF points. Otherwise most other stuff looks reasonable (assuming latest generation of sensors)

That's exactly what I use my SL1 for. With the 24mm pancake I think it weighs about 18oz total, so it's a great hiking camera.

I want the features of a high-end camera, but not the size and weight. AF points don't weigh anything, so there's no reason not to add them. I can give up ergonomics since more buttons obviously don't fit in a smaller package. But Canon doesn't sell anything like that. The lighter cameras have fewer features, and the cameras with all the features are big and heavy. Even though many features don't add any weight or bulk.

I don't really know who this camera is targeted at. I bought a SL1 because I got it cheap enough to replace my T3i, and the specs where basically identical to the T3i minus a couple things like the tilting screen. If the specs were better it would be worth spending more on one.

If this is 406g body only, that's heavier than the SL1 which is 370g body only. The extra weight might come from features that are not helpful to still photography, like the tilting screen, bluetooth, and NFC.

If the battery life really is 840 that's amazing. The SL1 was up to 480, which was a bit low for long trips. I'd sometimes turn off the LCD completely and disable image review to squeeze the most out of the battery. If the extra weight is from a larger battery then that's understandable.

Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
dak723 said:
Things that folks on this forum continue to fail to grasp:

This camera and the entire rebel line is not meant for you. You are not the target market. The least expensive cameras are meant for new DSLR owners. Yes, some folks get a second body, but folks who have FF DSLRs are certainly not the target market for the cheapest cameras.
Man, of course this camera isn't for high end geeks.
But even a "normal" consumer hast a right to get up to date tech.
If you buy a PC/MAC today, would you accept if its graphic processor could only deliver VGA??? Of course not!
IMO the 9 point AF system is insomuch outdated that it is a shame for Canon to reuse it once again.
If Canon wants to put this camera far below the T7i this is their right and decission.
But the 19 point AF or something else would have been at least something.

And it seems that others see it the same way:
neuroanatomist said:
...it's really time to retire the old 9-pt AF system...it wasn't new when I used it on my T1i/500D back in 2009.

My decission was to buy this camera if its AF was decently improved and my decission will be not to buy it if it still has that 9 point af (even all cross type of the T5i).

Upvote 0
Maximilian said:
It's a real shame IMO, no matter how much more expensive the camera would have become with a different AF system.

This, for me, sums up much of the bellyaching about Canon products in general on these forums. The most important issue for the vast majority of customers is price. While enthusiasts and some professionals often state they're willing to pay more for the features they want, most people just don't see things that way.

Upvote 0

Maximilian

CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
scyrene said:
Maximilian said:
It's a real shame IMO, no matter how much more expensive the camera would have become with a different AF system.

This, for me, sums up much of the bellyaching about Canon products in general on these forums. The most important issue for the vast majority of customers is price. While enthusiasts and some professionals often state they're willing to pay more for the features they want, most people just don't see things that way.
Once again:
Even a "normal" consumer hast a right to get up to date tech.
If you buy a PC/MAC today, would you accept if its graphic processor could only deliver VGA??? Of course not!

You are right, price matters and I was not thinking about hundreds of $s when I wrote the above.
You see what can be delivered in consumer cameras for consumer prices.

And in the same post you quoted i said
Maximilian said:
(of course I do not expect a 5D4 or 7D2 AF in this body)

And if you've read other posts from me on this and also on other products you might have recognized that I am normally not in front line when it comes to complaining about Canon and their kind of product strategy.

But the 9 point AF system in a product released in 2017 is just ridiculous.

Upvote 0
Maximilian said:
scyrene said:
Maximilian said:

Once again:
Even a "normal" consumer hast a right to get up to date tech.

You are right, price matters and I was not thinking about hundreds of $s when I wrote the above.
You see what can be delivered in consumer cameras for consumer prices.

And in the same post you quoted i said
Maximilian said:
(of course I do not expect a 5D4 or 7D2 AF in this body)

And if you've read other posts from me on this and also on other products you might have recognized that I am normally not in front line when it comes to complaining about Canon and their kind of product strategy.

But the 9 point AF system in a product released in 2017 is just ridiculous.

I'm not sure what 'rights' means in this context. Nobody is forced to buy these things. If they've miscalculated, and the old fashioned AF puts a lot of people off, they'll see lower sales.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Sporgon said:
Has anyone considered that Canon MR may have suggested that the majority of those that might buy this camera don't want a multitude of AF points to choose from ?

Egad, man...of course not. Everyone wants more AF points. Just like everyone needs to shoot 4K and needs two card slots. Speaking of which, it's just unconscionable for Canon to release a camera in 2017 that lacks dual card slots. Everyone knows it.

:p

Upvote 0

TeT

I am smiling because I am happy...
Feb 17, 2014
Sporgon said:
pwp said:
rs said:
Distance measurement point: 9 points (central one point cross distance measurement)

Whoa! Extraordinary decision. They've just condemned this potentially great little camera to immediate irrelevance for stills shooters. Sigh....

-pw

You're joking, right ?

http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=23146.45

All shot with the 9 point AF of a 6D

I think maybe that the inclusion of 9 pt AF does not make the SL2 attractive enough for an upgrade if one is using the current SL1 mostly for stills. The connectivity and tilt screen are a nice addition...

Upvote 0

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
neuroanatomist said:
Sporgon said:
Has anyone considered that Canon MR may have suggested that the majority of those that might buy this camera don't want a multitude of AF points to choose from ?

Egad, man...of course not. Everyone wants more AF points. Just like everyone needs to shoot 4K and needs two card slots. Speaking of which, it's just unconscionable for Canon to release a camera in 2017 that lacks dual card slots. Everyone knows it.

Steady ! Two card slots is a must. What happens if someone steals one of your cards ?

Upvote 0

TeT

I am smiling because I am happy...
Feb 17, 2014
Maximilian said:
So I am out of the race now.

But honestly I don't believe that Canon was defining that "second body" target market as the one they wanted to address with this body.
I believe it is the similar one as before:
People who want a tiny little DSLR and cannot decide for EVF systems. (don't ask me if that's the right description)

Agreed, but 2nd body crowd sure would gobble it up if you gave them enough of an excuse. Probably at a higher price tag to boot...

Upvote 0
Dec 11, 2015
Sporgon said:
neuroanatomist said:
Sporgon said:

Steady ! Two card slots is a must. What happens if someone steals one of your cards ?

Why would they steal a card but leave the camera? :)

Upvote 0

Maximilian

CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
Bennymiata said:
The fact is that the majority of people who will buy the SL2 won't even be able change the focus point anway, so 9 points is 8 too many.
With this opinion one could say a pinhole camera is enough. ::)

Edit:
It's the other way 'round:
the more and better the AF system can work the better the result in green frame mode for those DAUs.

Upvote 0

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
Jopa said:
Sporgon said:
neuroanatomist said:
Sporgon said:

Why would they steal a card but leave the camera? :)

I hadn't thought of that :( If they stole the camera I'd lose two cards.

Maybe one card slot is best, then I'd only lose one. ;)

Upvote 0
Little late to this discussion, but will throw in my 2 cents. I think they went with the 9 pt AF to protect Rebel T7I sales and also get an even cheaper option for beginners. Was also very disappointed because last year decided to keep only 5 D Mark IV for 99% of my shooting and get a really light option when I wanted to lug around less weight. Had looked at mirrorless options including Sony, Panasonic, Olympus, Fuji and Canon and found something I did not like about everyone of them so bought an SL1 body. Certainly I do not expect the same results as my Mark IV, but it was great to shed some weight when I wanted to grab a light option. Fully planned to get the SL 2 and sell the SL1. Since neither will fit in my pocket and still wanted the additional features, decided to go ahead and get the Rebel T 7i as a second body. Also wanted a 35 mm pancake lens to use as walk around rather than a zoom and since it does not exist yet, just went for the new 35 mm macro. Spent the last 2 days playing with that on the SL 1 and am pleased to have an option that is 2 pounds lighter than my regular set up. Probably will rarely use it, but like have the option. I have absolutely no need for 45 or 61 AF points, but do need more than 1 if I plan to use in servo modes. Since I will experiment with the smaller sensor for some wildlife vs cropping on full frame, wanted the extra AF points. Rebel is on back order so cannot comment yet on how I like it vs SL1.

Upvote 0
atlcroc said:
Little late to this discussion, but will throw in my 2 cents. I think they went with the 9 pt AF to protect Rebel T7I sales and also get an even cheaper option for beginners.

Ditto. That's how I see the SL2. With most of the T7i features, they needed one major differentiator besides size. Being truly entry level as a DSLR, I figure they kept the smallest and least expensive viewfinder AF in production and let the middle level go. It's also the default in the camera already, not requiring two or three engineers assigned to redesign the system.

That doesn't bother me. Auto Focus Micro Adjustment does. I want an SL2 or T7i size camera, but I want a better hit rate on focus, and I'd like the better sensor (compared to the SL1 my wife and I share). AFMA should be a nearly free software feature to implement, but it's excluded from cameras the size I like. My hands aren't huge, so the smaller cameras give me a better grip. To get AFMA requires a 70D/80D, which are as big and heavy as a 6D, but you don't get the big sensor.

I've thought about pairing an SL2 or T7i to Sigma lenses to do lens AFMA, outside the camera. It looks like there's a flip side losing the other in-camera lens corrections. It makes me wonder if I'd like the M5 digital viewfinder better. AFMA is moot with the Dual Pixel AF, and all the canon lenses can use their other corrections.

Upvote 0
We're on the same page again. When I did use the SL1, seemed to have more shots not as sharp as I like. Was not sure if it were me or the lenses I was using. On my good shots, it was really crisp but seemed to have more misses. I never used AFMA on my other bodies and the only time I had a problem, I exchanged the lens and the new one was perfect so have never tried any adjustments. My new 7 Ti body came Friday and have taken a couple of hundred test shots using different lenses and have had maybe one shot where the focus was not good and I think that was my doing. So seems to be much better than the SL1 plus you can use touch focus in live view to make sure you get what you want in focus. Got mine from BH who has a 30 day return policy so you might want to give the 7 Ti a try out if you want to stay with the lighter options.

Upvote 0