Full Specifications for the Canon EOS Rebel SL2

atlcroc said:
When I did use the SL1, seemed to have more shots not as sharp as I like. Was not sure if it were me or the lenses I was using. On my good shots, it was really crisp but seemed to have more misses.

That's exactly where I am. I've increased shutter speeds to deal with motion blur, but focus still misses, or I can't focus and recompose without missing shots. I'm making an effort to be better, and I still have a lot of misses.

Upvote 0
I'm a 100D/SL1 user who had sworn off upgrading to an SL2...

...but then Canon gives this body series all these big and small improvements that add up to a very solid upgrade:

* Fully articulating screen -- Totally unexpected in this smallest DSLR body. Useful for those angles difficult or impossible with the old fixed screen and for that holiday two-fie. (I'd also imagine this small-body tilty-flippy coupled with DPAF would make it popular with many in the vlogging crowd.)

* DPAF -- Was a possibility but not sure they'd trickle it down to this level. Definitely a welcome addition. I'd have hoped for a 19-point all-cross-type DPAF from the now around 4-year-old 70D (after all, the 77D/800D got 45pt DPAF) but guess Canon wanted to keep it very entry-level with the AF points. It's still DPAF, which has in recent years distinguished Canon's line-up from the other brands.

* Other useful things like a bigger handgrip (the old SL1 never slipped from my fingers but often hoped there was a bit more to cling on to),
60p HD (never expected 4K at this level) and electronic IS might help when used with the small non-IS primes,
wi-fi (with its own quick access button),
and of course the higher-res sensor and slightly faster shooting speed.

The next-up 800D and 77D are only slightly, but still noticeably, bigger and with their added features would probably be better options for many, but for those looking to stick to a DSLR in this form factor, Canon's done right mostly with the 200D/SL2.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
benkam said:

...but then Canon gives this body series all these big and small improvements that add up to a very solid upgrade:

* Fully articulating screen -- Totally unexpected in this smallest DSLR body. Useful for those angles difficult or impossible with the old fixed screen and for that holiday two-fie. (I'd also imagine this small-body tilty-flippy coupled with DPAF would make it popular with many in the vlogging crowd.)

* DPAF -- Was a possibility but not sure they'd trickle it down to this level. Definitely a welcome addition. I'd have hoped for a 19-point all-cross-type DPAF from the now around 4-year-old 70D (after all, the 77D/800D got 45pt DPAF) but guess Canon wanted to keep it very entry-level with the AF points. It's still DPAF, which has in recent years distinguished Canon's line-up from the other brands.

* Other useful things like a bigger handgrip (the old SL1 never slipped from my fingers but often hoped there was a bit more to cling on to),
60p HD (never expected 4K at this level) and electronic IS might help when used with the small non-IS primes,

The next-up 800D and 77D are only slightly, but still noticeably, bigger and with their added features would probably be better options for many, but for those looking to stick to a DSLR in this form factor, Canon's done right mostly with the 200D/SL2.

That is what Canon do pretty much every single time with every model iteration.

Upvote 0
privatebydesign said:
benkam said:

That is what Canon do pretty much every single time with every model iteration.

Yes, always a solid upgrade in the DSLR world.

I'm personally also looking into mirrorless options though for a future SL1 replacement, as the features I covet now also include an EVF and a completely silent mode. Maybe Canon comes up with something new or maybe that's a price-reduced M5 (just wish the screen flipped to the side when facing forward). Or even maybe another brand.

Upvote 0
I'm also planning to upgrade from SL1 to SL2, mainly because of video features. I barely use it for photo, so I don't really mind the 9 AF point system.

However I see that it has a DIGIC 7 image processor, compared to the DIGIC 5 in the previous model. I know it means a solid 1 stop improvement in case of ISO performace while shooting JPEG. But does it also effect video shooting? I would love it even more if videos shot at ISO 1600 would look like ISO 800 on SL1, but I don't know if that would work.

Upvote 0
Faranell said:
I'm also planning to upgrade from SL1 to SL2, mainly because of video features. I barely use it for photo, so I don't really mind the 9 AF point system.

However I see that it has a DIGIC 7 image processor, compared to the DIGIC 5 in the previous model. I know it means a solid 1 stop improvement in case of ISO performace while shooting JPEG. But does it also effect video shooting? I would love it even more if videos shot at ISO 1600 would look like ISO 800 on SL1, but I don't know if that would work.
The DIGIC processor is also responsible for video noise reduction. Then you should have a video improvement with high ISO.
How much better?
Maybe it will come to an entire ISO stop.

Upvote 0