Further talk about the fate of the EOS M system

Sibir Lupus

EOS M6 Mark II + EOS M200
Feb 4, 2015
I've done the 100-400 II L, on my M6 Mark II. Worked tolerably well photographing snow leopards at the San Diego Zoo.

Tolerably well would be about sum up my experience with the 70-300mm L lens on my M6 Mark II heh. I can't imagine carrying around a lens like this on a much heavier DSLR like an 5D Mark IV or 1DX Mark III o_O.

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
Tolerably well would be about sum up my experience with the 70-300mm L lens on my M6 Mark II heh. I can't imagine carrying around a lens like this on a much heavier DSLR like an 5D Mark IV or 1DX Mark III o_O.

There was a railing I could use to prop the camera + lens up. I think I posted one of the pics over in the zoo animals thread.

Upvote 0
I put an EF 70-300mm L lens on my M6 Mark II :). And do understand that a camera body can only be so small compared to it's mount. This is one reason why Canon originally went with a smaller diameter mount for the EOS M system.

Serious question:

When using large lenses, how do you guys hold the system?

For those saying that certain bodies are too small, can't you just told the camera with one hand, and then the lens with the other hand where that hand is slid further away from the camera (further up the lens) than when used with a heavier body?

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Put a RF mount on an M5 and it only looks slightly more ridiculous than the EF mount on the SL series, so an R series replacement for the M series could be pretty damn small, and as you say, it makes sense for Canon going forward to focus on one mount, and smaller, lighter APS-c lenses would seal the deal for many.

but as a complete system, the RF mount lenses will never be as small as the EF-M.

Screen Shot 2020-08-31 at 12.24.24 PM.png

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
To be clear I don't have any skin in this game. I don't own and M-line camera so it can be continued or discontinued and I won't be affected. My point is that the latest batch of rumors aren't consistent. Canon has two choices:

(1) End of life the EF-M camera line and lenses. Budget market is either conceded to smartphones or an APC sized RF camera is produced.
(2) Continue the EF-M camera and lenses if market studies show that it is distinct enough from an APC RF camera and smartphones to be profitable.

What they can't (or shouldn't) do:

Release two new EF-M bodies including a cadilac model with professional features but then immediately (as in within a year) end of life the EF-M mount and produce zero lenses that would match well with a high end EF-M camera. If someone paid $1500 for a high end EF-M camera and then found out Canon had no plans to support it with lenses I would understand if they were annoyed.
True, but let’s be sure to understand that the Cadillac model you envision ($1,500) is already far past the RP in price and way past the rumored FF budget model. So, in my opinion, M becomes moot when the high end APSC R is also released.

Anyway, bodies have a shelf life. People buy a camera and lenses. Would I be upset with Canon if I paid $1500 for a Cadillac M and Canon decided to drop the line? No. Inconvenient for me? Probably. However, that camera will still work along with the lenses for years to come. So at what point, years down the road, do whiners decide to get over their juvenile disappointment and move on? Canon never promised a full range of lenses for that system.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Colorado

Canon R5
Dec 16, 2013
So at what point, years down the road, do whiners decide to get over their juvenile disappointment and move on? Canon never promised a full range of lenses for that system.
Well I was with you until this last part. If Canon releases 2 new M series cameras in 2021 with no intention of continuing the line I think people have a right to be annoyed without being labeled juvenile whiners. I guess you just seem really aggressive in your tone and I don't understand.

But like I said, I'm not in the market for an M-series camera so more just curious what camera manufacturers do to survive the shrinking market.

Upvote 0
Slightly disappointed after buying a M6ii after using Sony APS-C for 7 years. When I saw the M6ii and what an improvement it was to the APS-C class it made sense Canon would make new Lenses. The best thing I did was hold on to all my Sony Lenses. So in a few years time if Canon does kill off the M line then I can go back to Sony. The M6ii is perfect for me and will last me quite a few years still. But lenses are definitely lacking. Sony killed it with their constant F4 lenses like the 18-105mm. I don't know why Canon can't do one similar. But the Camera market is contracting fast with improvements to Camera phones.

Upvote 0

Sibir Lupus

EOS M6 Mark II + EOS M200
Feb 4, 2015
Canon never promised a full range of lenses for that system.

No system really promises that, but the expectation is their when buying into any system. Why would anyone buy into a system with a fair amount of lenses if they knew ahead of time that that company would only ever make a few bodies and a few lenses to go along with them?

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
No system really promises that, but the expectation is their when buying into any system. Why would anyone buy into a system with a fair amount of lenses if they knew ahead of time that that company would only ever make a few bodies and a few lenses to go along with them?

From the looks of your signature, you're almost pure M and have been for years! Just one big EF lens to go with it.

Upvote 0

Jethro

EOS R
CR Pro
Jul 14, 2018
Yes, but very many M series buyers get a kit lens (or maybe 2) when they buy the body, and never buy another. Some (like yourself) do buy (or adapt) other lenses - bu I think Canon really want the likes of you to move up to RF mount FF bodies ...

Upvote 0
Sep 17, 2014
but as a complete system, the RF mount lenses will never be as small as the EF-M.

View attachment 192574

That's an extreme example. I bet a F4 version would be much smaller. In my opinion, a 55-200 lens in RF mount with F6.3 at 200mm would not be much bigger than the M version.

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
Yes, but very many M series buyers get a kit lens (or maybe 2) when they buy the body, and never buy another. Some (like yourself) do buy (or adapt) other lenses - bu I think Canon really want the likes of you to move up to RF mount FF bodies ...

Except they will never be as conveniently small as the M series.

I have an R5. I had it in my mitts 10AM the first day.

I've taken more photos with my M6-II than with the R5 since that day. It's my go-to for opportunity shots.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Even if Canon kills off the M series I'd still keep using my M6II until the day it dies. The camera + 32mm + 11-22mm combo is amazing for daily walk around use and going hiking etc; it's the reason why I hardly use my 5D4 these days.

Except they will never be as conveniently small as the M series.

I have an R5. I had it in my mitts 10AM the first day.

I've taken more photos with my M6-II than with the R5 since that day. It's my go-to for opportunity shots.

Pretty much that; I'd still haul my 5D4 and lenses for planned shoots and jobs but for everything else the M6II is perfect.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Well I was with you until this last part. If Canon releases 2 new M series cameras in 2021 with no intention of continuing the line I think people have a right to be annoyed without being labeled juvenile whiners. I guess you just seem really aggressive in your tone and I don't understand.

But like I said, I'm not in the market for an M-series camera so more just curious what camera manufacturers do to survive the shrinking market.
If they are annoyed it is because they choose to be. They can buy it or not buy it. They can also choose to be annoyed or not. Canon never promised anyone a perpetual product line. I bought a brand new Ford Focus in 2013. Why should I be annoyed that Ford dropped the line? Does it hurt me? No.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
I don't know. When I buy something I get it for what it is today. The M has been around since 2012. 8 years and the lens catalog for that line has always been small. After 8 years, it is presumptuous to believe that Canon is going to suddenly sink a lot of development into that when that segment is getting hammered. The newly rumored M has probably been in development for 2-3 years. I would think that M fans would be happy to get one last great model. Instead, they fret that after 8 years their expectations were mirages. These were not expectations fueled by Canon. They were dreams manufactured in the minds of some of the M owners and forum dwellers. I understand that people really enjoy those cameras.

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
I don’t think canon knows what they will do. I think they have ideas but they are smart enough to sell things that consumers want. If the M is still selling well in two years, they will keep it alive. They don’t have to spend much on development
Roadmaps, they have them, we don't. We have things like the words 'cripple' and 'doomed'. They are smart. We are a bunch of maroons.

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
If they are annoyed it is because they choose to be. They can buy it or not buy it. They can also choose to be annoyed or not. Canon never promised anyone a perpetual product line. I bought a brand new Ford Focus in 2013. Why should I be annoyed that Ford dropped the line? Does it hurt me? No.
Thank you, the analogy is much needed here. The user base who feels entitled is misrepresented by forum dolts but still we must endure their constant whining and cripple/doomed comments. Times were (film days mostly) most shooters were intelligent and interesting folx but nowadays anyone on the spectrum is a photog!

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
To be fair, that's a pretty bad analogy. Your 2013 Ford Focus came with an attached engine. If you bought the body thinking that you would be able to pick from a range of engines in the future, you might be a little bit annoyed.

Upvote 0