grip gives fps boost on 5D3 to 6.7-6.9fps????????

Status
Not open for further replies.
A crazy rumor from DPR. But one person says they heard it "somewhere" and another claims that he just went to a demo 3 days ago and the rep told him that the grip increases fps, to something probably about 6.7fps, maybe 6.9.

I'm not sure I buy it, but wow, that would be cool if so. It might also explain all those rumors that had all the 5D3 specs on target but then were off with the fps 6.9fps vs 6.0fps.

If it could do 7fps gripped that would be pretty awesome, you really have yourself a true action cam then (When you are doing serious sports you might grip the body anyway, but unlike 1 series you can then toss the grip for a nice sized camera for everything else). It'll still be awful for high dynamic range shooting at low ISO compared to the D800 but if it has better video, similar high iso, if the AF is awesome, an dif it can hit 7fps gripped it starts to make a bit more sense. It'll still be worse for ISO100-400 landscape stuff and for long reach wildlife stuff but it might be a nicer generalist action/sports/wedding/video cam perhaps.

Probably foolish to get my hopes up over this as it sounds a bit fanciful, but wow if that guy really did hear that from the rep and the rep really did know what he was talking about. There still seem to be a lot more reasons to doubt it though, but still.

candyman

R6, R8, M6 II, M5
Sep 27, 2011
www.flickr.com
LetTheRightLensIn said:
Considering that it is not listed in the grip description anywhere it seems very hard to believe.
Ah, almost certainly just another wild tale from someone hoping for more than we are getting.

+1
Probably due to the fact that the grip is being offered for 325 euro ::)
It need to be sold

Upvote 0
N

nighstar

this is news....?? oh. well, had i known that this spec wasn't out i would have confirmed it sooner...

at a Hands-on Prevew event that i attended last week for the 5D Mark III a Canon Australia rep did indeed state that the grip boosts the fps to 6.9. it's a fact, not a rumor. why it isn't in the specs anywhere is beyond me as i am sure the Canon rep knew what he was talking about as he had just returned from 5D Mark III training in Japan.

Upvote 0

pwp

Oct 25, 2010
vuilang said:
so, A plus .7-.9fps would make you jump up&down?

Any FPS increase gets my interest. Shooting action at 10 FPS on the Mk4 it frequently astounds me how much actually happens between each frame. At some events I also shoot with the still amazing 1D Mk2n which distinguishes itself with almost freaky AF performance. Its max FPS rate of 8 FPS delivers highly noticeably different results to the Mk4 when comparing action sequences.

Can anyone tell me how deep the buffer depth is when shooting continuous RAW with the 5DIII with a good fast CF card? This is one key area where the 1DX will comprehensively outstrip its less expensive sibling.

Paul Wright

Upvote 0
pwp said:
Can anyone tell me how deep the buffer depth is when shooting continuous RAW with the 5DIII with a good fast CF card? This is one key area where the 1DX will comprehensively outstrip its less expensive sibling.
At the moment Canon specs list the following, so I guess in brackets is what you can expect with a faster card:

Maximum Burst
·JPEG Large/Fine: Approx. 65 shots (approx. 16270 shots)

·RAW: Approx. 13 shots (approx. 18 shots)

·RAW+JPEG Large/Fine: Approx. 7 shots (approx. 7 shots)

*Figures are based on Canon's testing standards (ISO 100 and Standard Picture Style) and a 8 GB card.

*Figures in parentheses apply to an UDMA mode 7, 128 GB card based on Canon's testing standards.

Upvote 0
B

BillyBean

I have to admit that despite the apparently sound source - the Canon rep - I am struggling to believe this. Sure, the EOS 3 (which I love) gains a speed boost from its grip, and I can say from experience this is several frames per second. But you have to remember that this is physically moving film at a very fast rate of knots, which simply does not happen in a DSLR. The EOS 3 grip appears to have some sort of augmentation motor inside it - I've not dissected the thing, but there is a drive shaft that comes up from the grip and engages the film sprocket under the main body. In contrast, in a DSLR, the limiting factor is largely moving and processing data, so unless the grip has additional processing power, which seems pretty unlikely, I don't see how it could improve the FPS. The only thing I can think of, other than an additional processor, is that Canon have artificially limited the frames per second in the main body until it detects that the grip is attached, whereupon the limit is removed. Which even for Canon, seems somewhat convoluted and manipulative...

Upvote 0

neuroanatomist

Canon Rumors Premium
Jul 21, 2010
BillyBean said:
The only thing I can think of...is that Canon have artificially limited the frames per second in the main body until it detects that the grip is attached, whereupon the limit is removed. Which even for Canon, seems somewhat convoluted and manipulative...

Well, they might be taking a page from Nikon's old playbook book (perhaps the page just after "more MPs aren't better"), since that's exactly what Nikon does - artifically limit the fps in the body until a grip is detected. There's a menu hack for Nikon (setting up a flash bracketing series with no flash attached) that allows you to get the higher fps on a non-gripped body that's normally only achieved with a grip attached.

Upvote 0

candyman

R6, R8, M6 II, M5
Sep 27, 2011
www.flickr.com
neuroanatomist said:
................. There's a menu hack for Nikon (setting up a flash bracketing series with no flash attached) that allows you to get the higher fps on a non-gripped body that's normally only achieved with a grip attached.

Really? I did know about that.
Do such hacks exist for Canon camera's like 7D? Is it the firmware?

EDIT: just thinking.....it IS possible to crank out more GHZ from your computers processor. So why not fps of a camera. Just, what will it do to the other chips and circuits?

Upvote 0

neuroanatomist

Canon Rumors Premium
Jul 21, 2010
You can't exceed the design specification of the mirror assembly, which is the main limiting factor. With film SLRs, the other factor was the film winding motor, where more power meant faster. With digital, the mirror is the real limit, and Nikon just throttles their speed without the grip, whereas Canon has not done that (yet, at least). I'd think if the grip gave a higher frame rate on the 5DIII, Canon would have included that in the specs.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.