Here are more Canon EOS R6 Specifications [CR2]

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
It's interesting to hear of "weather sealed" claims by various manufacturers. The reality is that some are incredible, most are adequate if you don't keep them in continuous rain, and some are downright lying.

I have an Olympus EM1mark2 and pro lenses. If you bet me some big money if I dunked it with lens into a toilet or swimming pool and it'd still work fine, I'd take your bet and it'd be fine. They're one of the few(maybe only) than went truly overboard in weather sealing. Too bad the sensor is so small and so old (even in the mark3).

Sony is the opposite. From what I've read, they often don't even have a rubber seal around the lens mount that actually touches the camera mount when connected. Their bodies have sometimes been found to let in large amounts of water at various places.

Canon seems to have a very good reputation for sealing, but not to the point of daring to do complete immersion. I'm very much looking forward to getting the R5 and some L lenses.

No matter what the sealing quality, I don't use the camera in the rain, period! But if I get caught in the rain before I can put it away, it's good to know it'd be safe.

I've never seen Canon refer to an ILC as "weather sealed". They use the term "weather sealing" a lot to describe a camera's parts, but they don't ever call those cameras "weather sealed." They call their cameras "dust and weather resistant", they don't call them "dust and weather proof."

Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
I've never seen Canon refer to an ILC as "weather sealed". They use the term "weather sealing" a lot to describe a camera's parts, but they don't ever call those cameras "weather sealed." They call their cameras "dust and weather resistant", they don't call them "dust and weather proof."
I haven't paid too much attention to whether they say 'sealed' or 'sealing' as I wouldn't think there was much difference between them. I know they don't use the term 'proof' as probably all manufacturers avoid that claim. I didn't mean to imply anything negative about Canon's sealing, as I've heard that they do a good job of sealing in general. In fact, that's one (of many) reasons I'm so eager to get the R5 and start a new chapter in my photographic adventures with it. :)

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
I haven't paid too much attention to whether they say 'sealed' or 'sealing' as I wouldn't think there was much difference between them.

I think there is a rather significant difference between saying, "This gasket is placed there to provide additional sealing", and saying, "This camera is sealed."

Upvote 0
It's interesting to hear of "weather sealed" claims by various manufacturers. The reality is that some are incredible, most are adequate if you don't keep them in continuous rain, and some are downright lying.

I have an Olympus EM1mark2 and pro lenses. If you bet me some big money if I dunked it with lens into a toilet or swimming pool and it'd still work fine, I'd take your bet and it'd be fine. They're one of the few(maybe only) than went truly overboard in weather sealing. Too bad the sensor is so small and so old (even in the mark3). *Edit* Well, going out of business doesn't bode too well for them either. :oops:

Sony is the opposite. From what I've read, they often don't even have a rubber seal around the lens mount that actually touches the camera mount when connected. Their bodies have sometimes been found to let in large amounts of water at various places. :oops:

Canon seems to have a very good reputation for sealing, and I'm very much looking forward to checking it out myself with a new R5 and some RF lenses. :D

No matter what the sealing quality, I don't use the camera in the rain, period! But if I get caught in the rain before I can put it away, it's good to know it'd be safe.
I've shot 1 Series cameras since the 1D Mk 3 and have never worried about rain. I have been caught in downpours with almost all of them with my 500 f4 and 600 f4 and had no issues. Just kept shooting.

I was at a PGA event a few years ago on a rainy day and not only did I see the pros sitting their cameras in the mud but also cleaning them off with a garden hose. I wouldn't go that far myself (mostly because I have to pay for my own gear and I assume they don't) but the higher end cameras can certainly handle some rain.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
I've shot 1 Series cameras since the 1D Mk 3 and have never worried about rain. I have been caught in downpours with almost all of them with my 500 f4 and 600 f4 and had no issues. Just kept shooting.

I was at a PGA event a few years ago on a rainy day and not only did I see the pros sitting their cameras in the mud but also cleaning them off with a garden hose. I wouldn't go that far myself (mostly because I have to pay for my own gear and I assume they don't) but the higher end cameras can certainly handle some rain.
You've seen pros cleaning the mud off their camera & lens with a garden hose? :oops: Wow, I didn't know Canon had sealing that good for people to try and have no problems with. I've heard they were good at sealing, but that makes me even happier to get into the Canon system now. Hopefully the R5 and RF L lenses will be sealed that good! :D

Upvote 0

brad-man

Semi-Reactive Member
Jun 6, 2012
S Florida
You've seen pros cleaning the mud off their camera & lens with a garden hose? :oops: Wow, I didn't know Canon had sealing that good for people to try and have no problems with. I've heard they were good at sealing, but that makes me even happier to get into the Canon system now. Hopefully the R5 and RF L lenses will be sealed that good! :D
Funny how different people react to different details of a story. You're surprised they hosed off their gear, while I'm astonished that they would set it down in the mud in the first place...

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Aussie shooter

https://brettguyphotography.picfair.com/
Dec 6, 2016
brettguyphotography.picfair.com
It was only the 1d series and 7d2 that had that levelof of sealing. Not the 5series or 6 series etc.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
It was only the 1d series and 7d2 that had that levelof of sealing. Not the 5series or 6 series etc.
I do not expect the R5 or R6 to be sealed that well. Heck, I wouldn't do it to my 1DX II, but like I said I have to pay for my own gear ;). Something's got to differentiate the top level. Seeing the specs on the R5 makes me pretty excited to see what a potential R1 will be like!

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Funny how different people react to different details of a story. You're surprised they hosed off their gear, while I'm astonished that they would set it down in the mud in the first place...
I was as well! Of course to them the cameras are just their tools that are paid for by their company.. and if they do break there's always a Canon tent somewhere that will replace their gear if it goes bad.

Upvote 0
Have a big dillemma here now that most specs and prices are known. I have several EF L lenses and 6D (first edition) due to be upgraded. R5 is too expensive, R6 is too low resolution and no tilted screen. Plus, any R version would require EF-RF adapter for me (extra cost and bulk). Would it make sense to buy 5D mark IV in 2020? Especially considering the massive discounts now that Canon tries to offload mark iv? Could 5D mark IV sensor be at least as good or better as R6, what do you think?

Upvote 0
May 11, 2017
I think the R6 will have an articulated screen, pretty good video and high frames per second, but it will have only 20mp The Canon R and the 5DIV have the same 30mp sensor, and the R with an adapter with be about the same price as the 5DIV. So one big question is how you feel about wanting to be able to use RF lenses. Other questions are whether you want an articulated rear screen, good video and high FPS. The good news is you don’t have to make your mind up right away, and all of the choices look pretty good

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016

Most of the sports pros these days are freelancers that use their own gear. The days of agencies with dozens upon dozens of staff photographers are history.

Those freelancers do, however, have their gear insured against damage just as any other good business person would have their tools insured against loss.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016

The 5D Mark IV was said to have the same amount of sealing as the 7D Mark II. The 5D Mark III, not so much, and the 5D Mark II much less so. Canon seems to realize that as they hold the 1-Series to around 20 MP, more and more pros are choosing to use the 5-Series when appropriate for jobs needing higher resolution.

At the time Roger Cicala did a tear down of a 7D Mark II, he said it was the most weather sealed camera he'd ever taken apart. One would assume that would have included previous 1-series bodies, as Roger likes to tear down everything he can find an excuse to take apart.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Aussie shooter

https://brettguyphotography.picfair.com/
Dec 6, 2016
brettguyphotography.picfair.com
The 5D Mark IV was said to have the same amount of sealing as the 7D Mark II. The 5D Mark III, not so much, and the 5D Mark II much less so. Canon seems to realize that as they hold the 1-Series to around 20 MP, more and more pros are choosing to use the 5-Series when appropriate for jobs needing higher resolution.

At the time Roger Cicala did a tear down of a 7D Mark II, he said it was the most weather sealed camera he'd ever taken apart. One would assume that would have included previous 1-series bodies, as Roger likes to tear down everything he can find an excuse to take apart.
Interesting. I was not aware that the 5d4 had better sealing than its predecessors. But not surprised. It is the workhorse camera for pros and deserves the best treatment

Upvote 0

justaCanonuser

Grab your camera, go out and shoot!
Feb 12, 2014
Frankfurt, Germany

Same with my 7D I/II series cameras, plus my old 5D3. I had my original 7D I once in a severe autumn storm on a North sea shore with me, shooting birds in the drifting sand with my EF 500mm. Soon the camera was covered with sand and salt water spray. Afterwards, the thumb wheel scratched for about two weeks until the last grain of sand fell out, and then it was turning smoothly again. In contrast, our Nikon D300S, the competition for the 7D series back then, lost several button functions in another heavy rain (for ever!). That day, my 5D3 was much more exposed to the wet conditions, but worked flawlessly. Canon gear is really rugged on the pro/prosumer level, that's at least my experience.

Upvote 0

justaCanonuser

Feb 12, 2014
Frankfurt, Germany
But do not expect that you can dive with your new gear without underwater camera housing ;)

Upvote 0

justaCanonuser

Feb 12, 2014
Frankfurt, Germany

As I just wrote in another posting, even my 5D III did take heavy rain without covering and never failed to work. The 7D series is famous for being nearly indestructible, since Kai W's Digital Rev TV video many years ago, where they even burned a poor copy of a 7D. I tested my copies also the hard way with some severe accidents - unintentionally. In fact, before I invest, I frequently check Roger Cicala's blog whether he has written something about this particular camera or lens. At lensrentals, they really have a lot of customers as sickeningly cheeky gear testers.

Upvote 0