Here Are Some Claimed Specifications For One of the Prototype Canon Full Frame Mirrorless Cameras [C

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
<p>We’ve been receiving a lot of information lately about Canon’s upcoming full frame mirrorless camera, the following information is apparently about one of the prototype camera bodies currently being tested.</p>
<p><strong>Canon Full Frame Mirrorless Prototype Specifications:</strong></p>
<ul>
<li>Look & Feel: large grip with top LCD, very comfortable to hold; dials are very similar to those we found on the EOS 5D Mark IV.</li>
<li>Side articulating screen</li>
<li>Sensor: Upgraded version of the EOS 5D Mark IV sensor, obviously includes DPAF.</li>
<li>Frame rate: 10FPS</li>
<li>Silent shutter and 1/16000sec shutter speed is available</li>
<li>Focus control is very similar to EOS 5D Mark IV’s 61-pt AF system.</li>
<li>Dual SD card slots</li>
<li>Video Features: C-Log 1/2/3, Focus Guide</li>
<li>Formats available: 60p/30p/24p 4K (both DCI & UHD can be chosen).</li>
<li>FHD 120p</li>
<li>Weight: not very light, but similar to Sony A7 but a bit larger due to the big grip.</li>
</ul>
<p>The mount type remains the big omission from the information we continue to receive.</p>
<span id="pty_trigger"></span>

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Re: Here Are Some Claimed Specifications For One of the Prototype Canon Full Frame Mirrorless Camera

Just feels off:

• 100% top of the list: You lead with the mount. It's the biggest visual delta to prior designs, the first thing you look for whne you see it, etc. It's also terribly implausible to get the lowdown on all these other things and not know the mount as well.
  • AF focus control and how many AF points you have are two different things -- they wouldn't share a line item like that.
  • When's the last time Canon did a single motion (tilt-only or swivel-only) LCD? The M3? Seems unlikely.
  • Zero discussion of the EVF -- kind of a big deal
  • Is 4K 60p even possible on SD? (I'm not well read on card throughput.)

Just not buying it (the rumor, that is).

That said, it kind of has to have 4K, and I'm highly confident that it will. How it is limited/constrained/nerfed/etc. is what will matter on that line item of the spec sheet. But full-frame readout, 60p, etc. I would not get your hopes up.

- A

Upvote 0
Re: Here Are Some Claimed Specifications For One of the Prototype Canon Full Frame Mirrorless Camera

Not bad for a 5-yr old mirrorless design... I'll probably get one for my grandkids. Enough sarcasm. I sure hope Canon can do better than this. Take a look at Sony's recent A7 and A9 bodies to see what can be done. Before you go all fanboy on me, consider that I've been shooting with Canon gear for nearly 50 years, and currently do so with a lot of their high end bodies and lenses. You'll have to pry my cold, dead hands off my 1D X and 200-400 before I give them up. 63 AF points! Is that a joke?

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012

dhachey77 said:
63 AF points! Is that a joke?

That's why I think this is off. Who says it has 'AF controls like a 61 point AF predecessor'?

It would say:

X# of AF points
Touchscreen AF pt selection like the 5D4

Also, it will have a s---ton more AF points than 61 because it's DPAF!

They may discrete-ize (discretize?) the points into something easy to select with a joystick, but there will be a ton of AF points. At B&H, the M5 and M6 didn't publish their AF pt numbers, but the mid-level crop M50 lists 143/99 depending on contrast vs. phase detect. Expect no less from a much pricier FF rig.

Again: not buying this rumor.

- A

Upvote 0

Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
Vancouver, BC

zim said:
Duel SD slots? great but doesn't sound correct.

Put an OVF on that you've got the perfect camera 8) ;D

LOL LOL +100!

It actually sounds like the perfect DSLR hahahaha.

If this rumor is true, I want this camera, whether it is a DSLR or mirrorless. If Canon is really nice, they'll make the same camera in DSLR AND mirrorless, and I will probably be forced to buy both, lol.

Upvote 0

ahsanford said:
Also, it will have a s---ton more AF points than 61 because it's DPAF!

that's how Canon specifies AF points under DPAF. the M5 for instance has 49 AF points according to specs, even though depending on mode, you use all 18 million or so individual PDAF points.

Upvote 0
Mar 26, 2014

zim said:
Duel SD slots? great but doesn't sound correct.

UHS II (U3 / V30) is sufficient for 4K @ 60fps, and there already are cameras with dual UHS II slots as well as SD cards that are up to speed, so the tech is already out there.

Upvote 0

f119a

My Cars Always Break Down
CR Pro
Jun 18, 2013
Delaware
www.yichenhu.com

Canon Rumors said:
We’ve been receiving a lot of information lately about Canon’s upcoming full frame mirrorless camera, the following information is apparently about one of the prototype camera bodies currently being tested.</p>
<li>Frame rate: 10FPS</li>
<li>Silent shutter and 1/16000sec shutter speed is available</li>
<li>Video Features: C-Log 1/2/3, Focus Guide</li>
<li>Formats available: 60p/30p/24p 4K (both DCI & UHD can be chosen).</li>
<li>FHD 120p</li>

There are things that Canon will not do at least for now, and due to their old tech I don't even think it's possible in 2018 (to be reliable and stable enough).
Besides, almost no one in the MILC market (the only exception I could remember is GH5s) do 4k DCI 60p.
A7III A7RIII XH1 they all stay at 30p.
C-Log 1/2/3 + Focus Guide: is just not Canon would do unless they want to sell this for over $10k like 1D C.

I would say this is very close to the CR0 side in CR1 range. ;)

Upvote 0