Here are some crazy Canon EOS R1 specifications [CR0]

Billybob

800mm f/11 because a cellphone isn't long enough!
May 22, 2016
Serious note: All I want from the 1R is some good trickle down in a year or two's time.
A year or two?

Canon released the original 1D X in 2012 with a 12fps mechanical shutter with full AF. It took 8 years for that tech to trickle down (to the R5). Canon released the 50MP 5Dr in 2015, six years later, Canon still hasn't released another 50MP+ ILC body (okay, you might want to count the R5 with 45MP, so 5 years).

As these examples show, technology--at least the really good stuff--can take a while to trickle down.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

H. Jones

Photojournalist
Aug 1, 2014
With the head of Nikon saying the Nikon D6 pro mirrorless replacement is coming this year and mentioning that it may have 8K, I'm strongly, strongly suspecting Canon will go big on resolution with the R1. I don't think this CR0 rumor is as crazy as we all think it is. The R5's specs also make far more sense at the pricepoint if the R1 gets more resolution and higher FPS.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

john1970

EOS R3
CR Pro
Dec 27, 2015
Northeastern US
Interesting speculation at this point is all I can say. Personally, I would be happy with quad-pixel AF, global shutter with 30 MP at my disposal. In a few more months we should see how this one develops. Will I buy one? Maybe? For me the R5 is already very capable. I am also very interested in seeing which lenses they announce and when they will ship.

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
A year or two?

Canon released the original 1D X in 2012 with a 12fps mechanical shutter with full AF. It took 8 years for that tech to trickle down (to the R5). Canon released the 50MP 5Dr in 2015, six years later, Canon still hasn't released another 50MP+ ILC body (okay, you might want to count the R5 with 45MP, so 5 years).

As these examples show, technology--at least the really good stuff--can take a while to trickle down.
We simply cannot rely on old patterns any longer. Canon is the new Canon

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
I'm not ready to call CR3 on a global shutter, but good sources have said that it's in play.
it's one or the other.
At one stage in the pipeline, an 85 megapixel global shutter sensor would have have to be (very roughly) x1000 faster than the rolling shutter sensor in the R5. If it was a ~35 megapixel global shutter it would annihilate.

Upvote 0
2021 called. They want you to know that 16TB externals are only about $200 - peanuts when talking about cameras costing $4000 or more.
I chuckle when I hear people griping about battery prices for their R5 too. $79 for the real deal recommended battery for your $4000 camera?

show me a link for $200 16TB hard drives. I would love to buy them!

Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
If a sensor had quad pixel AF, which makes a lot of sense for orientation sensitivity, then it would have Y number of pixels and Y x 4 number of photodiodes.
A quad sensor would be 85 MP even if it were read at 21 MP.
It makes sense that the AF pixels could be read at 21 MP even when the rest of the sensor was read at 85 MP.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
A quad sensor would be 85 MP even if it were read at 21 MP.
It makes sense that the AF pixels could be read at 21 MP even when the rest of the sensor was read at 85 MP.
If that were so why do Canon call the 90 million photodiode R5 sensor 45 million pixels?

As for the AF reading less, I think you have that the wrong way around, the AF treats the different photodiodes as individual, the imaging side ‘sees’ the lower number.

Upvote 0

Billybob

800mm f/11 because a cellphone isn't long enough!
May 22, 2016
Get the MkI EF600/4LIS. It's optically very nearly as good as the MkIII (maybe worse flare?), but due to weight--which everyone put up with until 2013 or so--is twice the MkIII. And they go for like $4000, and you'll probably get the same when selling it many years so it doesn't really even have much of a cost of ownership.

Meanwhile, using a white telephoto half the time you have a TC involved anyway, so it's not like having to use an EF-RF convertor makes you do something appalling that other photogs aren't doing all the time anyway.
I hear that as well, but as I get older carting around extra weight becomes less acceptable. I've been using the Nikon 500mm pf, which is an absolute delight in the field. It's not significantly heavier (if at all, I haven't weighed them) than the 100-500. If I doubled the weight with the M II (or tripled the weight with the M I), it would clearly take much of the joy out of going out into the field.

My true dream is that Canon produces a DO version of the 600mm f/4 (or Nikon a pf version). If so, I might have to sell a kidney to fund the acquisition.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

DBounce

Canon Eos R3
May 3, 2016
The new mirrorless flagship from Nikon is confirmed to be coming this year. It will have 8K video and is rumored to have a 60MP sensor. Sony’s Alpha 1 has a 50MP sensor and was designed to target the 1D series. Both can/will, shoot 8K video. Like it or not, 8k is the new standard. Canon knows this; so I fully expect to see a much higher resolution sensor make an appearance in this camera... And that sensor is going to need a seriously fast readout speed. What could be faster than global shutter? So don’t be surprised to see global shutter, because it’s time is here.... no longer a luxury, now a necessity.
Dynamic range will have to be competitive. Let me remind you, rumor has it that the current crop of Sony sensors can be enabled with Wide dynamic range mode, via a firmware update. This can boost their dynamic range to 16 plus stops... perhaps 14 plus usable stops? The stakes are high. Camera sales are dropping hard. This is definitely not the time to be holding back. It’s possible that Canon finally understands this.
I’m excited for this camera.

Upvote 0

Bert63

What’s in da box?
CR Pro
Dec 3, 2017
show me a link for $200 16TB hard drives. I would love to buy them!

They just went off sale, but here are 14TB for $229 regular - I’ve seen these as low as $189.

Amazon has the WD 14TB for $232.

Point is, storage is cheap. These cost less than a 256GB CFE. If you can spend the money for a high resolution, top-tier camera, (R5 for example) you should‘t be whining about the cost to store the images - and it isn’t like you keep them all anyway. I pick the poses I like and delete the rest unless there is a compelling reason not to. Maybe you save everything.

I also don’t spray and pray like I did when I first picked up my camera so many years ago. I try to pretend I know what I’m doing and shoot a little bit more selectively.

On my purpose built PC, I have a 512 nVME SSD for boot and programs, a 1TB nVME SSD ‘work’ drive, and a 10TB internal storage drive with 2 10TB externals for mirrored backups. I have never had a storage issue or lost data problem in my life.

I also have two mirrored 8TB externals that I use for deep back up of all my keeper RAWs, JPGs, and all the really crappy shots I took when I first started shooting. I can’t get rid of them because they show my progress over the years, but I can’t bear to see them everyday either. I’m a slow learner shall we say.. ..lol..

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

tapanit

CR Pro
Jul 17, 2012
2021 called. They want you to know that 16TB externals are only about $200 - peanuts when talking about cameras costing $4000 or more.
I chuckle when I hear people griping about battery prices for their R5 too. $79 for the real deal recommended battery for your $4000 camera?
I would scream with joy if I could get LP-E6NH batteries for $79. Here they cost $135 and up. And no, I can't mail order them from abroad as nobody is willing to ship li-Ion batteries overseas, apparently they're too hazardous to ship economically in small quantities.

Upvote 0

Bert63

What’s in da box?
CR Pro
Dec 3, 2017
The new mirrorless flagship from Nikon is confirmed to be coming this year. It will have 8K video and is rumored to have a 60MP sensor. Sony’s Alpha 1 has a 50MP sensor and was designed to target the 1D series. Both can/will, shoot 8K video. Like it or not, 8k is the new standard. Canon knows this; so I fully expect to see a much higher resolution sensor make an appearance in this camera... And that sensor is going to need a seriously fast readout speed. What could be faster than global shutter? So don’t be surprised to see global shutter, because it’s time is here.... no longer a luxury, now a necessity.
Dynamic range will have to be competitive. Let me remind you, rumor has it that the current crop of Sony sensors can be enabled with Wide dynamic range mode, via a firmware update. This can boost their dynamic range to 16 plus stops... perhaps 14 plus usable stops? The stakes are high. Camera sales are dropping hard. This is definitely not the time to be holding back. It’s possible that Canon finally understands this.
I’m excited for this camera.

I don’t believe 8K is the new standard at all. It’s a novelty that people downscale from at best. Thanks to the R5, I think 8K is what you have to have in your tag line to get the camera to move as compared to other cameras. A handful of people might actually NEED 8K for something but I don’t know what it is.

Until they start hanging 8K TVs on the wall I still see it as a niche. You still can’t get HQ 4K streams from any of the major services unless you pay more for it (most people don’t/won’t) and the 4K on YouTube isn't much better than their 2K If you can tell the difference at all.

4K DVDs are as big of a flop as BluRay was, if not bigger. I don’t know a single person that buys 4K DVDs. If I have to have something in 4K I just find a source and download it.

Until ISPs get rid of their data caps I can’t see real, clean, HQ high res becoming the standard over the crap they serve now. My ISP (I’m very choice limited because I live on an island) caps at 1.2TB per month which sounds like a lot but isn’t. NETFLIX garbage 4K can eat 7GB per hour and it’s terrabad.

No one is screaming for 8K streams are they? I don’t even people really crying for 4K. MOST people just watch what’s on and don’t think about whether they could count the person’s eyelashes or not.

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0

Bert63

What’s in da box?
CR Pro
Dec 3, 2017
I would scream with joy if I could get LP-E6NH batteries for $79. Here they cost $135 and up. And no, I can't mail order them from abroad as nobody is willing to ship li-Ion batteries overseas, apparently they're too hazardous to ship economically in small quantities.

Where is here? Is the R5 more expensive there as well?

Upvote 0