Here is everything that you need to know about tomorrow’s big day from Canon

Hector1970

CR Pro
Mar 22, 2012
Where do people get these ideas? As someone recently pointed out, the average professional photographer earns about $41,000 annually. The top 1% are earning around $70,000.

And, seriously, do you really think more "big whites" are bought by professionals than enthusiasts?

Enthusiasts are only constrained by their disposable income. Professionals have to earn a return on their purchases.
I agree. Yes high end professionals and agencies buy them but I think well healed enthusiasts make up a large chunk for the market.
The R1 for sure will be expensive. There will be plenty of buyers for it though.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

H. Jones

Photojournalist
Aug 1, 2014
At this point, even though $6,000 was a bit more than I was hoping for, I've kind of just accepted my fate as to having to pre-order one of these immediately tomorrow morning.

I've gone back and forth on this about a dozen times, and part of me wants to wait for the R1 as 8000 isn't an insane difference to $6000, but in all reality the R3 is going to be a huge upgrade for my 1DX Mark II, since it will move me to an all-RF mount system.

I think the features 'm most excited about are the features we don't even know about yet. Every time Canon releases a camera they throw in some new updates to the menus. A great example of this is the fact that the R3 has the option to turn on a simulated noise when shooting with the electronic shutter, or on the R5 when they added the ability to change AF modes by lens control ring, which wasn't an option on the EOS R but is one of my most-used controls on my R5.

There's just a lot that I'm totally sure I'm going to love about this camera. I did really strongly consider a second R5, but I really don't want to be limited by the R5's buffer on both of my cameras. The other reality is that, as much as I love the 45 megapixels of the R5 for cropping, the majority of my work just doesn't need two 45 megapixel cameras.

Most important to me, above all else, is having a camera that is always on top of things and ready to take an image, no matter if I just shot a 500-frame burst a second ago or not. Add in the fact that it's RF mount, has a flip-out screen, and has servo autofocus in live view(unlike my 1DX Mark II), and this is really going to be an exciting camera to me.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Looks like canonwatch got the full scoop:

24MP, $5999, 6K, BLACKOUT-FREE EVF

6K 60p RAW and 4K 120p 10-bit uncropped video with Canon Log 3 support, in addition to the possibility for oversampled 4K and RAW movie internal recording.
Thanks! Looks like @Canon Rumors Guy was spot on. 12fps and different card slots seem to be the major differences from the 1Dx III.

EDIT: A little concerned that the release makes no mention of the buffer. I would be very distressed if Canon cheaped out on the buffer.

Upvote 0

H. Jones

Photojournalist
Aug 1, 2014
I'm pretty sure you know he's full of it.

Logic suggests that Canon sets a deadline for the initial batch of orders -- telling retailers they need to get their orders in by Sept. X for the first shipment. Since Canon discounts the price based on volume, I imagine the large stores like B&H, Adorama and Amazon have a good idea already what their initial sales will be. They probably track them initially to see if actual orders are meeting or exceeding expectations and then submit their orders once they are comfortable that they can order enough to get the largest available discount, ordering a certain number or percentage of units above their pre-orders.

Unfortunately, with all the supply chain issues currently, Canon may not be able to fulfill the full order with the first shipment and probably sends out partial orders as they become available.

I pre-ordered the R5 the moment it went live on B&H and got it on release day. I know I was way ahead of a lot of people, but I trust B&H after that experience to pre-order the R3 from them.

Upvote 0
For me there are still a lot I do not know about the R3, which I really hope the following info is released in the formal announcement or covered by reviewers of the camera:

1) What is the buffer depth and clearing rate?
2) Can the electronic shutter be used at speeds slower than 30 fps?
3) What is the flash sync speed with electronic shutter?
4) How good is the high ISO noise?
5) Are there cross-type AF sensors (I doubt it, but would be a nice surprise)?
6) Does the eye AF work well with normal eye glasses?

Hopefully, there are still some surprises!!

1. Your best source for this in a meaningful way is likely to be reviews. Initial impressions will likely be posted by people with test units immediately after the event. If it's mentioned in the promotions materials at the event, it will likely only be in subjective terms unless they're doing something very unusual with the system.

2. You also best looking at initial reviews for this. The kind of announcements we're seeing tomorrow tend to focus on the maximum, not all of the individual settings. The best you'd get would be *maybe* a breakdown of the drive modes, which might hint at an answer.

3. Expect something on the order of 1/200. Flash sync speeds with an electronic shutter are often limited by sensor readout speed. Sony has gotten flash sync to work with an electronic shutter at 1/200 on the a1. A lower resolution would give this body an advantage in this regard, but Canon tends to have a slower readout than contemporary Sony sensors. I can't see them even bothering if it's much slower, but it would imply some major things about sensor readout if it's much faster.

4. Expect subjective claims at the announcement. Early reviews will mention it, and mostly assess it as either "the best ever" or " a total embarrassment". A mix of the two extremes is a lot more likely than any sort of balanced assessment being common. Really though, we know what to expect. The differences between noise from one camera to the next, of the same format and technology, are minima. Most of the advantages touted in marketing materials come from improved noise reduction in in-camera jpegs, but even that's getting pretty small from generation to generation. BSI sensors tend to have a small, but noticeable, advantage in this regard, and this will be Canon's first ILC with a BSI sensor, so that's a bit of a question mark, but it's most likely a very small improvement over the 1DXIII, R5, and R6, most noticeable at very high ISOs.

5. Cross-type vs non-cross-type is only relevent to phase-detect AF systems. Being a mirrorless camera, calling the R3's AF points "cross-type" or "non-cross-type" is meaningless, unless Canon introduces something new, not directly related to PDAF cross-type sensors, but names it "cross-type". The closest corrolary in mirrorless systems to cross-type AF systems is probably larger AF points.

6. This will pop up in early reviews, but is unlikely to be directly mention at the event. You'll most likely have to specifically seek out reviewers who wear glasses. One note on a specific source- while Jared Polin wears glasses and has been very vocal about the eye control AF, he has some eye-twitch issues that made the previous generation (like on the EOS 3) not work for him. Even he's saying he might not be a good source for that, but he's been having somebody else on his team test that out.

Upvote 0

bergstrom

Photographer
Feb 23, 2015
Sorry, but I still think that $6,000 is too high for this. $5,500 would be more in line. Pro or not, camera sales are still going down. This might just encourage more buyers to get the R5 instead. And where does this leave the yet to be announced (or finished) R1 Canon has pretty much said is coming? $7,500, $8,000, $8,500?

that’s already in larger format territory. Is this a hint as to that from Canon? The speculation over that just won’t die. I can’t see a FF camera hiking that high these days. What super features could it have that would justify that kind of pricing? That is, realistically?

I want a camera that can deliver on world peace. That's worth $8000. I'd buy it.

Upvote 0
I wonder how many affluent dreamers will buy the R3 in the mistaken belief that it will magically transform them into better photographers...
So true. But hopefully loads, then the R1 is here and BOOM! Near mint R3’s there for the taking on the second hand market. I’ve scored absolute bargains over the years (last one an A7RIV for 2000£ with 500 shots on the shutter) thanks to those more impulsive and way wealthier than me.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

H. Jones

Photojournalist
Aug 1, 2014
DBounce said:
Looks like canonwatch got the full scoop:

24MP, $5999, 6K, BLACKOUT-FREE EVF

6K 60p RAW and 4K 120p 10-bit uncropped video with Canon Log 3 support, in addition to the possibility for oversampled 4K and RAW movie internal recording.

Nothing wrong with the R5's viewfinder---I love it--but isn't it a little surprising this release also sounds like it has the same viewfinder as the R5? 5.76 million dots at 120 fps is the spec of the R5. Weird. I know it specifically says a "new" viewfinder, but a little bit surprised that at the price that the camera didn't get a 240 fps mode. Granted, this could also be a battery life thing, since I know using the 120 FPS on the R5 definitely drains the battery faster, and 240 would probably push that even more on a camera that many will be concerned about battery life on.

Upvote 0
So true. But hopefully loads, then the R1 is here and BOOM! Near mint R3’s there for the taking on the second hand market. I’ve scored absolute bargains over the years (last one an A7RIV for 2000£ with 500 shots on the shutter) thanks to those more impulsive and way wealthier than me.
Yep, it happens with every new camera.

Not everybody who does that is blaming their gear, some just want to have "the best", "the shiniest toy", whatever, but the number who upgrade believing it will solve skill, technique, and creative shortcomings isn't zero.

Thinking a fancier camera will always result in better pictures a major factor in entry-level equipment losing so much value second-hand, I'd say much more so than anything in this market segment. A lot of people have no problem spending 500-1000USD to get "better pictures" of the kids or on vacation, only to find that it doesn't really work like that and if they're not in it to learn, and so it sits in the closet until it hits ebay, along with thousands of others.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

bbasiaga

Canon Shooter
Nov 15, 2011
USA
Nothing wrong with the R5's viewfinder---I love it--but isn't it a little surprising this release also sounds like it has the same viewfinder as the R5? 5.76 million dots at 120 fps is the spec of the R5. Weird. I know it specifically says a "new" viewfinder, but a little bit surprised that at the price that the camera didn't get a 240 fps mode. Granted, this could also be a battery life thing, since I know using the 120 FPS on the R5 definitely drains the battery faster, and 240 would probably push that even more on a camera that many will be concerned about battery life on.
Remember, with a stacked sensor, 'blackout' goes to almost zero, so the refresh rate matters in a different way. Even with the same spec, it could peform much better.

Brian

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

H. Jones

Photojournalist
Aug 1, 2014
Remember, with a stacked sensor, 'blackout' goes to almost zero, so the refresh rate matters in a different way. Even with the same spec, it could peform much better.

Brian

Great point, I do expect it will feel significantly improved over the R5, which was already a great experience.

I also hope that they have increased the size of it, since the eyepiece looks massive. Granted, that could be space taken up for the eye-AF, but I do hope they've given it a larger magnification.

Upvote 0

HenryL

EOS R3
CR Pro
Apr 1, 2020
Part of getting a security clearance is signing an NDA that expressly states there are criminal penalties.

And OBTW "spies" don't do well in prison
I’ve had clearances, and those forms aren’t NDA’s. Revealing classified information is a crime, whether that acknowledgement is signed or not.

EDIT- I read your following response after I posted this and it’s clear we agree. The crime is “dropping classified information” and not violating an NDA
EDIT #2 - I should be more clear - those aren't NDA's in the vein of commercial product development that are part of this discussion. SteveC is correct though.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Where do people get these ideas? As someone recently pointed out, the average professional photographer earns about $41,000 annually. The top 1% are earning around $70,000.

And, seriously, do you really think more "big whites" are bought by professionals than enthusiasts?

Enthusiasts are only constrained by their disposable income. Professionals have to earn a return on their purchases.
And by their physical strength, unfortunately.

Upvote 0

HenryL

EOS R3
CR Pro
Apr 1, 2020
I pre-ordered the R5 the moment it went live on B&H and got it on release day. I know I was way ahead of a lot of people, but I trust B&H after that experience to pre-order the R3 from them.
My experience with the R5 from B&H was the same. Even if I have to wait a bit it’s no biggie, but the only thing I’ve preordered from them that did not arrive on release day was the RF 100, and that was only about a week delay.

Upvote 0
Jan 27, 2020
I still can't believe that Canon is announcing anything the same day Apple announces their new iPhone. How stupid are Canon? Even camera websites and blogs will be covering the new photo and video features of the new iPhone. Canon's event will get ZERO attention. Oblivious.
I have to laugh when I see such absolutely ridiculous comments like this one. Do really think photographers are just going to browse around aimlessly looking for websites and blogs that announce camera news? No, I think they will know exactly where to look for news about the R3. You see, there are these things called search engines. And many photographers might - just might - have bookmarked websites such as this one, or others, that will provide them with the news they want. I doubt very much, there is a single person who is in the market for the R3 that will suddenly change their mind and decide to buy an iPhone instead because they will be "dominating the tech news."

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK

Why did you not read my post correctly?

I never mentioned professional photographers, who you apparently believe are all "one man bands".

I spoke about "business buyers", by which I meant agencies, large companies and corporations. These are the big players who buy professional camera bodies in large quantities, and these are the people who won't flinch for a moment at spending 8K (much less with bulk discounts) on R1 bodies.

Upvote 0