Here is everything that you need to know about tomorrow’s big day from Canon

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
A bit low for the top 1%, in 2020 it took ~$361K individual or ~$531K household income to pass that threshold. But the principle holds – those of us in that top 1% make more that a typical professional photographer.

As @AlanF points out, enthusiasts are also constrained by their ability to carry the gear. To the extent that wealth increases with age, the ability to afford and the ability to carry a big white are inversely related.
Oh sorry to be unclear. The stat I was quoting was the top 1% of photographers. The average was $41,000 and at the upper end one percent of photographers earned more than $70,000. Of course that includes the superstar photographers earning hundreds of thousands, but it also indicates that if you can clear $70,000 a year as a photographer, you are doing pretty well by comparison to the average.

As to the other point, at 68 I am in that category that is concerned about the weight of the gear. As I've said, that's one of the main reasons I intend to sell the 1dX III and buy the R3 -- Not so much the weight of the camera, which is still significant, but because I can dispense with duplicate lenses.

Upvote 0

john1970

EOS R3
CR Pro
Dec 27, 2015
Northeastern US
Based on the press release it appears to have the same mechanical shutter limit of 12 fps. I really really hope the frame rate on the electronic shutter is adjustable. I would dislike having to choose between 12 fps mechanical and 30 fps electronic. Honestly I would like 10, 20, 30 fps electronic and would likely never use the mechanical shutter. Also would like to know if spot metering is linked to the AF point.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

john1970

EOS R3
CR Pro
Dec 27, 2015
Northeastern US
Thanks for sharing!

I did not see any mention of a pixel shift type feature, or any sort of "resolution trick".

Also, nothing that struck me as what Jeff Cable was alluding to when he said there were features that we didn't know about yet.

We see 6k video, which a lot of people thought would be available, even if the Canon website only advertised oversampled 4k initially.

No real surprises in this article, but perhaps some surprises will come from the launch event and initial reviews?
The language was fairly muted compared to the embellishments and enthusiasm we saw when speaking of the Revolutionary R5.
You bring up a very good points with regards to Jeff Cable's comments about all the additional features and where is that resolution trick?

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
5. Cross-type vs non-cross-type is only relevent to phase-detect AF systems. Being a mirrorless camera, calling the R3's AF points "cross-type" or "non-cross-type" is meaningless, unless Canon introduces something new, not directly related to PDAF cross-type sensors, but names it "cross-type". The closest corrolary in mirrorless systems to cross-type AF systems is probably larger AF points.
Just to be clear, Canon’s dual-pixel AF (DPAF) is phase detect AF. You may be thinkimg mirrorless cameras are limited to contrast-detect AF, which was true many years ago but no longer.

In a DSLR’s PDAF system, incoming light is split by microprisms and directed to pairs of line sensors on the PDAF sensor, which enables determination of the phase difference. For a cross-type AF point, there are two pairs of line sensors oriented orthogonally, so phase differences can be detected in horizontal and vertical orientations.

With DPAF, each pixel on the image sensor is split in half, and short rows of them are used as functional equivalents of the paired line sensors of a dedicated PDAF sensor. An advantage of that is the separation of those short rows can be dynamically set. On a PDAF sensor they have a fixed separation, resulting in a defined lens maximum aperture needed for the AF point – closely-spaced line pairs for f/5.6 lenses, line pairs spaced almost to the edges of the AF sensor for f/2.8 lenses, with the wider baseline resulting in more accurate AF (Canon calls those ‘high precision’ which is actually a misuse of precision vs. accuracy). With DPAF, narrower baselines allow PDAF with narrower apertures, thus we have f/11 lenses for RF.

However, with DPAF the pixels are all split in the same direction, so detection of phase difference is constrained to horizontally-oriented features. There are no cross-type points in Canon’s DPAF…yet. Some have proposed/speculated on quad-pixel AF, where each pixel is split both horizontally and vertically. Canon may instead choose to alternate the orientation of the split in adjacent pixels, as suggested by a patent of theirs that published a while back (long enough that it could be in the R3, but they may reserve it for the R1).

ECC92526-13F0-438B-AD26-A103B210CE57.png

Note also that other MILC manufacturers (Sony/Olympus at least, IDK about Fuji/Nikon) also use PDAF in their MILCs. Those image sensors have microprisms similar to a DSLR’s PDAF system in the light path, and there are PDAF paired line sensors mixed in with the image-sensing pixels. As a result, those pixel rows on the sensor dedicated to PDAF have their image data interpolated from the surrounding region.

Hope that clarifies.

Upvote 0

FrenchFry

Wildlife enthusiast!
Jun 14, 2020
RF 600mm f/4 Macro ? :ROFLMAO:
So much more convenient than my EF100-400ii for handheld shooting bugs and flowers and the weight and price wouldn't put me off ! :ROFLMAO:
If weight and price put you off then you're not the intended market for a 600mm F4 lens, so it does not matter to you or Canon anyway. Lots of people use tripods for macro work.
If Canon wants to make a 600mm F4 specialized macro lens, bring it on. It will definitely make someone, somewhere, very happy.

• Haha
Upvote 0

RayValdez360

Soon to be the greatest.
Jun 6, 2012
Philadelphia
why would a pro photog give a shit about apple that much. I dont get why people say this. is there a reason why they cant watch both or even get both products?

Literally not the point.

I’m talking about visibility. Day 1 of the A7iv announcement, the full time line on YouTube and most tech sites will be Sony. Tomorrow, it will be Apple, even when Canon is announcing the best camera they have created to date.

Most people with a 1DX are not “Pro” photographers anyway. Maybe aspiring, but not ft working
You are acting like this is some type of huge conference. It is literally going to some clips of reps and ambassadors talking. Also publications and blogs that got the camera. You can watch all that stuff whenever. If Canon's job is to get the most viewers ever to see this product they did a piss poor job compared to how they handled the R5 as to this day.

Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
Excuse me, but I not only read your post, I directly quoted it. You said a *business* buyer. It pretty easy to see how that would be interpreted to mean a single buyer who is in business since you used the singular "a." I'm not really sure what you were trying to connotate with the asterisks though.

Now, since you say you were referring to "agencies, large companies and corporations" perhaps you can point to the specific entities that you know won't flinch at spending $8,000 on R1 bodies. And, while you are at it, perhaps you can document how large that market is.
I specifically referred to "business buyers" to differentiate between them and small scale one-man operations who quite obviously have less to spend.

It's probably impossible to obtain representative and reliable figures on how much corporations, agencies or individual photographers have historically spent on camera bodies, so there's little point in pursuing that line, but come on...

Do you really think that agencies and corporations with multi-thousand dollar budgets are going to worry about the difference in price between an R1 and a 1Dxiii, Z9 or A1...?

Seriously?

Upvote 0

FrenchFry

Wildlife enthusiast!
Jun 14, 2020
Based on the press release it appears to have the same mechanical shutter limit of 12 fps. I really really hope the frame rate on the electronic shutter is adjustable. I would dislike having to choose between 12 fps mechanical and 30 fps electronic. Honestly I would like 10, 20, 30 fps electronic and would likely never use the mechanical shutter. Also would like to know if spot metering is linked to the AF point.
It's not clear, but the language from the press release suggests some FPS options might be possible given that it says "up to 30 fps". Then again, if it's like the R5 and has two options (1 and 20 for the R5), then technically it could have the same level of flexibility of 1 FPS and 30FPS and get away with "up to 30 fps" terminology.

Also, we don't know if all lenses will support 30FPS or if some lenses will make it slower than 30FPS. It would be a bummer if using an old lens was the only way to get, say 15FPS or 20FPS.

I suspect that it will be more flexible this time though, given the complaints received about this in the R5:

"The core of the EOS R3 features a Canon designed and manufactured 24.1-megapixel back-illuminated stacked CMOS sensor. The sensor is the first of its kind from Canon, and when combined with the DIGIC X processor, delivers a high-speed readout allowing for continuous blackout-free shooting1 at up to 30 fps in electronic (silent) shutter mode and up to 12 fps in mechanical shutter, with minimum rolling electronic shutter distortion."

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
The new RF 100-400 is just what I need, a light lens for hiking. It was so close that I ordered Tamron's 100-400. I really hope the sharpness is good though.

One negative part as I see it, it does not seem to have a tripod mount, but perhaps the lens is so light that it’s not needed.
I'm right with you and I'll tell you what it also doesn't have that the Tamron would, an EF-RF adapter! I've had the Tamron and consider myself to be a good just of that lens' strengths and limitations so I'm excited to see how the Cann fares, which I feel as an RF and designed for ML will be a better than forum dwellers think it will be (as has most non L RF glass been)

Upvote 0

FrenchFry

Wildlife enthusiast!
Jun 14, 2020
For those who like the background narrative to make them feel warm and fuzzy about their purchase, Nokishita has leaked some product narratives, available here:

RF16mm F2.8 STM
Compact, versatile, speedy and affordable, the new RF16mm F2.8 STM lens is a terrific complement to any
EOS R series digital camera. Offering an ultra-wide angle of view and a bright f/2.8 aperture, it’s an
excellent choice whether taking interior photos in tight spaces, seeking out the perfect landscape, or as the
perfect webcam lens when used in combination with an EOS camera and EOS Webcam Utility on a video
call. With a 16mm F2.8 lens, you can experiment with enhancing perspectives, capturing starscapes, or with
the close focusing distance of 13cm, get up close to your subject while still keeping the background more
visible. Video users will find this ultra-wide lens a natural for vlogging, especially with its supremely light
weight.
With its remarkable combination of optical excellence and refined performance, all in a small package that’s
easy to bring most anywhere, the RF16mm F2.8 STM is a stellar companion to any EOS R series digital
camera.

RF100-400mm F5.6-8 IS USM
Perfect for wildlife, sports, travel and more, the RF100-400mm F5.6-8 IS USM is a compact, lightweight
telephoto lens for EOS R Series cameras, offering a versatile zoom range that brings subjects closer with
ease. The RF100-400mm F5.6-8 IS USM is similar in size to the EF 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 IS II USM lens, but
not only reaches to 400mm, but also has fast Nano USM focusing and up to 6 stops of Coordinated IS when
used in combination with an EOS R series camera featuring In-body Image Stabilization like the EOS R5
and EOS R6, or 5.5 stops with an EOS R/RP camera. Using a single Ultra Low Dispersion lens element
towards the front of the lens group corrects chromatic aberration throughout the entire zoom range, making
your images look crisp and colorful with minimal color blur. The RF100-400mm F5.6-8 IS USM lens can also
accept both the RF1.4x and RF2x tele extenders giving you the effective maximum focal length of 560mm
and 800mm respectively. With a control ring that allows for quick setting changes, including shutter speed
and aperture, the RF100-400mm F5.6-8 IS USM lens puts quality, convenience and control in your hands.

DM-E1D
The Stereo Microphone DM-E1D is a compact microphone accessory for compatible EOS cameras that
include the multi-function shoe. The Stereo Microphone DM-E1D easily mounts to the multifunction
hotshoe creating a digital connection to the camera. This means that no internal battery or cable connecting
the mic to the camera's mic port are required, helping you utilize the mic longer and also no impediment in
using the vari-angle screen to its full range. It features a number of directional controls to suit the
environment and your shooting needs. Shotgun mode keeps audio focused on a subject directly in front of the
camera, such as when interviewing someone for a documentary. Stereo (90°/120°) mode captures audio over
a wide area for more ambient sound, ideal for nature scenes or entire orchestras. Adjusting the mic controls
is as simple as pressing the menu button on the back of the microphone and using the touchscreen LCD on
the back of the EOS camera to change settings. Whether you're looking to capture an interview, record a
concert or simply capture the sights and sounds of nature, the Stereo Microphone DM-E1D pairs
wonderfully with a compatible EOS digital camera to help you achieve impressive audio.

AD-E1
For a seamless transition from your current hot shoe accessories to the multi-function shoe, the
Multi-Function Shoe Adapter AD-E1 is the answer. The Multi-Function Shoe Adapter AD-E1 provides a
reliable connection for dust and drip proof Speedlite accessories that you may already own such as the
Speedlite EL-1, Speedlite 600EX II-RT, Speedlite 600EX-RT, Speedlite 580EX II, ST-E3-RT or OC-E3 flash
cord. The shoe adapter will also hold current accessories such as shotgun mics and on-camera LED panels
securely to the camera body with dual locking pins on the multi-function shoe side.

ST-E10
For wireless Speedlite setups requiring one or more off-camera flashes, the Speedlite Transmitter ST-E10
delivers a transmitter compatible with EOS cameras that include the multi-function shoe. Since this
transmitter maintains a digital connection to the camera through the shoe, it does not require batteries,
making the design approximately 30% smaller and approximately 50% lighter (than the ST-E3-RT II).
Controlling and changing the 5 independent groups across 15 Speedlites is as easy as pressing the menu
button located on the transmitter and adjusting the settings from the vari-angle touchscreen on the back of
the camera, or with the flash setting screen when using the Canon Camera Connect app on your smartphone.
With full flash control at your fingertips, the Speedlite Transmitter ST-E10 is an indispensable tool for
advanced, professional flash photography.

1631573715623.png

Upvote 0

FrenchFry

Wildlife enthusiast!
Jun 14, 2020
Will we see more lenses announced (or pre-announced) tomorrow?

If so, will one of them be another RF 50mm F1.2 USM lens? I can't read the screenshot from the tweet, nor can I apply translation to an image, but I do see the words "RF50mm F1.2L USM" next to 5554C005AA, which appears to be the topic of the tweet about an "unreleased interchangeable lens SKU '5554C005'" being registered for overseas certification.

It is hard to imagine that a second RF 50mm F1.2 USM lens would be a priority right now...

1631573767906.png

Upvote 0

john1970

EOS R3
CR Pro
Dec 27, 2015
Northeastern US
For those who like the background narrative to make them feel warm and fuzzy about their purchase, Nokishita has leaked some product narratives, available here:

RF16mm F2.8 STM
Compact, versatile, speedy and affordable, the new RF16mm F2.8 STM lens is a terrific complement to any
EOS R series digital camera. Offering an ultra-wide angle of view and a bright f/2.8 aperture, it’s an
excellent choice whether taking interior photos in tight spaces, seeking out the perfect landscape, or as the
perfect webcam lens when used in combination with an EOS camera and EOS Webcam Utility on a video
call. With a 16mm F2.8 lens, you can experiment with enhancing perspectives, capturing starscapes, or with
the close focusing distance of 13cm, get up close to your subject while still keeping the background more
visible. Video users will find this ultra-wide lens a natural for vlogging, especially with its supremely light
weight.
With its remarkable combination of optical excellence and refined performance, all in a small package that’s
easy to bring most anywhere, the RF16mm F2.8 STM is a stellar companion to any EOS R series digital
camera.

RF100-400mm F5.6-8 IS USM
Perfect for wildlife, sports, travel and more, the RF100-400mm F5.6-8 IS USM is a compact, lightweight
telephoto lens for EOS R Series cameras, offering a versatile zoom range that brings subjects closer with
ease. The RF100-400mm F5.6-8 IS USM is similar in size to the EF 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 IS II USM lens, but
not only reaches to 400mm, but also has fast Nano USM focusing and up to 6 stops of Coordinated IS when
used in combination with an EOS R series camera featuring In-body Image Stabilization like the EOS R5
and EOS R6, or 5.5 stops with an EOS R/RP camera. Using a single Ultra Low Dispersion lens element
towards the front of the lens group corrects chromatic aberration throughout the entire zoom range, making
your images look crisp and colorful with minimal color blur. The RF100-400mm F5.6-8 IS USM lens can also
accept both the RF1.4x and RF2x tele extenders giving you the effective maximum focal length of 560mm
and 800mm respectively. With a control ring that allows for quick setting changes, including shutter speed
and aperture, the RF100-400mm F5.6-8 IS USM lens puts quality, convenience and control in your hands.

DM-E1D
The Stereo Microphone DM-E1D is a compact microphone accessory for compatible EOS cameras that
include the multi-function shoe. The Stereo Microphone DM-E1D easily mounts to the multifunction
hotshoe creating a digital connection to the camera. This means that no internal battery or cable connecting
the mic to the camera's mic port are required, helping you utilize the mic longer and also no impediment in
using the vari-angle screen to its full range. It features a number of directional controls to suit the
environment and your shooting needs. Shotgun mode keeps audio focused on a subject directly in front of the
camera, such as when interviewing someone for a documentary. Stereo (90°/120°) mode captures audio over
a wide area for more ambient sound, ideal for nature scenes or entire orchestras. Adjusting the mic controls
is as simple as pressing the menu button on the back of the microphone and using the touchscreen LCD on
the back of the EOS camera to change settings. Whether you're looking to capture an interview, record a
concert or simply capture the sights and sounds of nature, the Stereo Microphone DM-E1D pairs
wonderfully with a compatible EOS digital camera to help you achieve impressive audio.

AD-E1
For a seamless transition from your current hot shoe accessories to the multi-function shoe, the
Multi-Function Shoe Adapter AD-E1 is the answer. The Multi-Function Shoe Adapter AD-E1 provides a
reliable connection for dust and drip proof Speedlite accessories that you may already own such as the
Speedlite EL-1, Speedlite 600EX II-RT, Speedlite 600EX-RT, Speedlite 580EX II, ST-E3-RT or OC-E3 flash
cord. The shoe adapter will also hold current accessories such as shotgun mics and on-camera LED panels
securely to the camera body with dual locking pins on the multi-function shoe side.

ST-E10
For wireless Speedlite setups requiring one or more off-camera flashes, the Speedlite Transmitter ST-E10
delivers a transmitter compatible with EOS cameras that include the multi-function shoe. Since this
transmitter maintains a digital connection to the camera through the shoe, it does not require batteries,
making the design approximately 30% smaller and approximately 50% lighter (than the ST-E3-RT II).
Controlling and changing the 5 independent groups across 15 Speedlites is as easy as pressing the menu
button located on the transmitter and adjusting the settings from the vari-angle touchscreen on the back of
the camera, or with the flash setting screen when using the Canon Camera Connect app on your smartphone.
With full flash control at your fingertips, the Speedlite Transmitter ST-E10 is an indispensable tool for

View attachment 200166
Nice to see that the inexpensive 100-400 mm zoom can accept teleconverters.

Upvote 0

FrenchFry

Wildlife enthusiast!
Jun 14, 2020
If I am understanding correctly, the AD-E1 Adapter will be required to be able to plug in your existing hot shoe accessories into the R3's multi-function shoe. Meaning, you cannot use your speedlite or transmitter or other equipment you already own natively on this shoe, you can only use it with this $39 adapter that will not be available for purchase until February 2022.

This seems like a blatant push to get people who already own adaptable equipment to buy new equipment they shouldn't need to replace. For instance, anyone who already owns the St-E3-RT and needs to use it to fire a flash between when they receive the camera in November (if they get it) and when the the adapter is available in February would need to buy the ST-E10, which they might otherwise prefer not to purchase since the ST-E3-RT should be compatible with all of their cameras, and they may not want to carry around an ST-E10 just to use on one R3 body (or spend money on it). I think this explains, at least partially, why the leaked price of the ST-E10 ($119) is lower than the price of the ST-E3-RT ($300+).

Hopefully I am missing something here.

AD-E1

ST-E10

1631574546089.png
1631575079660.png

Upvote 0