Here's the Canon EOS 4000D, A New Entry Level DSLR

Architect1776

Defining the poetics of space through Architecture
Aug 18, 2017
Williamsport, PA
James Larsen said:
What in the world is this, lol?
Who would buy this when they could get a T7 or a cheap Mirrorless with much newer tech?

The only way anyone will buy this is if its like $150...

Perhaps that is their thought.
Get little kids into real cameras and away from phone with a camera in them.
Perhaps schools needing digital cameras on a budget that if damaged, or lost are not a major loss.
Lots of reasons for something like this.

Upvote 0
LDS said:
Will Canon give one away together any 1D/5D purchase, so your children can play with it? It would be a great way to take them away from phones for a while. ;D
You have the point! And the promo will be: "Buy one 6D Mark II or 5D Mark IV and you get one 4000D with the 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II kit lens for free so your 3+ years old children can learn how to use a real camera!" And they will learn it and when they grew up they will buy a 6D Mark IX (or whaterver it will be) and will get a 40000D with 18MP APS-C sensor and Digic 4 processor and 18-55mm kit lens for free for their children (your grandchildren). And the cycle will go on until the 400 billion 18MP APS-C sensor and Digic 4 processor produced until 2016 will be out of stock. So we can wait for a Canon EOS 4 x 1090 with the same technology and specifications of the 1200D in the distant future. :) And we will sing the song: "In the year 2525, if photography is still alive, you can still use a 18MP APS-C sensor with a Digic 4 processor, oh oh oh ..."

Upvote 0

Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
Vancouver, BC
SkynetTX said:
LDS said:
Will Canon give one away together any 1D/5D purchase, so your children can play with it? It would be a great way to take them away from phones for a while. ;D
You have the point! And the promo will be: "Buy one 6D Mark II or 5D Mark IV and you get one 4000D with the 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II kit lens for free so your 3+ years old children can learn how to use a real camera!" And they will learn it and when they grew up they will buy a 6D Mark IX (or whaterver it will be) and will get a 40000D with 18MP APS-C sensor and Digic 4 processor and 18-55mm kit lens for free for their children (your grandchildren). And the cycle will go on until the 400 billion 18MP APS-C sensor and Digic 4 processor produced until 2016 will be out of stock. So we can wait for a Canon EOS 4 x 1090 with the same technology and specifications of the 1200D in the distant future. :) And we will sing the song: "In the year 2525, if photography is still alive, you can still use a 18MP APS-C sensor with a Digic 4 processor, oh oh oh ..."

Hey, that is a GREAT bundle. It would take care of one Christmas gift. :)

Upvote 0
With a plastic lens mount, the only lenses that may be safe on this would be pancake or 50 mm f/1.8. I believe in Glass before camera, but now Glass could break the camera? I have taken some great pictures with an 18MP sensor and L Glass. This camera risks giving the end user a poor experiance. Canon's entry level camera is still the SL2, at least that is what I would recomend.

Upvote 0

jolyonralph

Game Boy Camera
CR Pro
Aug 25, 2015
London, UK
www.everyothershot.com
Iago said:
With a plastic lens mount, the only lenses that may be safe on this would be pancake or 50 mm f/1.8. I believe in Glass before camera, but now Glass could break the camera? I have taken some great pictures with an 18MP sensor and L Glass. This camera risks giving the end user a poor experiance. Canon's entry level camera is still the SL2, at least that is what I would recomend.

You could probably count the number of eventual 4000D owners with more than the kit lenses on the fingers of one hand...

This camera is designed for one thing - and that's to give a high-profit easy sale item at the low end for the multitudes of camera shops and other stores around the world to sell to unsuspecting people who think they want an "real camera" but don't have a lot of money.

No-one who reads reviews will buy this, this camera is for those poor people who rely on store salespeople to tell them what to buy.

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
jolyonralph said:
Iago said:

You could probably count the number of eventual 4000D owners with more than the kit lenses on the fingers of one hand...

This camera is designed for one thing - and that's to give a high-profit easy sale item at the low end for the multitudes of camera shops and other stores around the world to sell to unsuspecting people who think they want an "real camera" but don't have a lot of money.

No-one who reads reviews will buy this, this camera is for those poor people who rely on store salespeople to tell them what to buy.

And there is nothing wrong with getting more cameras in more peoples hands because it's the best thing to shoot someone with.

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
ajfotofilmagem said:
At the moment, Nikon D3300 with 18-55mm is being sold for under US$ 400, and it seems that Canon wants to compete in this price range.

The numbers game...In a Target store near you

"Here's a D3300...looks alright"

Oh Honey look, this is a 4000D, that's a lot higher up than the 3300" Let's get that.

Upvote 0
jolyonralph said:
Iago said:

---

How very true! This camera is for Mom & Dad's Tween/Teen kids who need/want to look fashionable in middle school for their "News and Photography" reports and can't or won't shell out $800+ for a used 6D and lens.

While the above sounds a bit cynical coming from me, I have to look at it from a general parental point of view of who is the likely market? It's for Tween/Tweens needing DECENT QUALITY (not fantastic!) near-pro-looking cameras for school work.
And of course Mom & Dad or Grandma/Grandpa will be the ones shelling out for this!
Canon just made a winner for this market. It's STILL a decent sensor in a decent package...It will sell rather WELL!

---

Now.......Should I buy another Red Monstro 8K....OR....is the Sony Venice 6K useable? ....OR.....should I just fly down to Panavision and Arri to see if I can convince them to FINALLY just SELL US the Alexa-65 and/or Panavision DXL-2 so we don't have to rent them all the time! ...OR how about that 800 megapixel Hasselblad? Does that work for medium format video?

So much to choose....soooooo little time! ;-) :) ;-)

Upvote 0

Sharlin

CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
Turku, Finland
Kethean said:
Anyone else notice that it's using the old 18-55 III? No IS has been used before to keep the cost down, but it was never very popular. Maybe they had a stockpile of those to get rid of too?

The 18-55 III has been the default kit lens of the 1x00D series for a long time, at least in Europe (this photo.se answer seems to indicate that it's not so in North America).

Upvote 0
Feb 8, 2013
jolyonralph said:
Iago said:

Ironically, this camera with the EF-S 55-250STM is better than any L glass option under $1,000, and my most used lens on the 5D2 was still the 40mm Pancake.

Besides the plastic mount there is nothing limiting about this camera, it will give absolutely professional quality results, which should be obvious with how many professionals seem to be adopting crop systems these days.

If it sells for around $300 new there is no question that the 4000D will be the best value in entry level cameras, I would buy one in a heartbeat if I wanted to visit any country with low security, this gives people a fantastic new option for a lot of things.

Canon should have done this years ago, one of my biggest regrets was ever trying to use a P&S camera for the first 6 years that I was interested in photography, especially given that Macro was one of the first things I wanted to do, I probably wasted dozens of hours just fighting the stupid AF systems because P&S cameras generally don’t come with manual focus (or at least they didn’t in the mid-2000’s).

They could build this out of cardboard and it would still be one of the best cameras on the market.

Upvote 0

Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
Vancouver, BC
9VIII said:
Ironically, this camera with the EF-S 55-250STM is better than any L glass option under $1,000, and my most used lens on the 5D2 was still the 40mm Pancake.

Besides the plastic mount there is nothing limiting about this camera, it will give absolutely professional quality results, which should be obvious with how many professionals seem to be adopting crop systems these days.

I think you're pretty safe there... There isn't a whole lot of L glass under $1,000 :D

Personally, I think one of Canon's best features is the wide variety of exceptionally good lenses on a budget in the EFS world.

My favorites would be -

EFS 10-18
EFS 18-135
EFS 55-250

Basically, with those 3 lenses and a crop body, you're set for some great photography for just about everything other than sports/birding, and macro. Then, as you polish up some skills, pick up the 50/1.8 and 100/2.8 macro, and there's a lot of capability for not a lot of money.

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
Talys said:
9VIII said:

I think you're pretty safe there... There isn't a whole lot of L glass under $1,000 :D

The 100L Macro, 200 2.8L, 70-200 f/4L, 24-70 f/4L, 24-105 f/4L, 16-35 f/4L IS,17-40 f/4L AND 135L would all beg to differ.

Upvote 0