Industry News: Panasonic to release a full frame camera September 25th

In a surprising rumor from m43rumors, it appears as if Panasonic is entering into the full frame market.
m43rumors suggests:
Word on the street is that Panasonic will show a prototype and the final product will be on market during the first half of 2019.
One of the sources testing the camera said this is “as exciting as the Nikon Z7 announcement“. One went even further and said it’s “more exciting“. But of course, they might got carried away with their emotions so let’s keep our feet on ground. A third source said “video performance is superb“.
No word on whether or not this uses the existing Leica SL mount or if Panasonic as gone their own way and created a brand new mount for it.  There’s a huge potential for this to be a fairly significant release, especially if Panasonic adopts the fundamentals of micro 43’s and makes the mount nonexclusive.
There is no...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:
Jan 12, 2011
Didn't the GH5 recently become the only hybrid camera to get broadcast standard certification? And their sensors have been exceptional (GH5 and GH5s) - so Sony's much-vaunted lead in all areas is being whittled away. I wonder if Canon will finally put their video experience in the new R range as well?

Let's hope they've finally learned- FF stills cameras should have FF video quality to match ;)

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
I could actually see this happening. Years ago Leica and Panny made a partnership to share technology with each other; Panny to share autofocus & electronic camera operation with Leica, and Leica to share optical technology with Panny. It's clearly been a fruitful relationship as evidenced by the incredible Leica Vario glass on the M43 system, and the blistering accuracy of Panny's Depth from Defocus inspired AF system tech inside the Leica SL and Leica Q. If Panny debut's a full-frame with the SL mount, then I think we've got a real contender to the upcoming Sony A7S III in terms of video capabilities.

Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2015
So a Sony A7III with "Panasonic" printed on a less refined body? Are they going to start making their own sensors?

Why do you say 'less refined'?
And there have been rumours for some time about Panasonic having a tie-in with TowerJazz making sensors. And latterly more rumours of them making their own sensors but I am not sure if that means Tower Jazz make them to Panasonic specifications (like Nikon have done with Sony) or if they will restart their own fabrication plant.

Upvote 0
I could actually see this happening. Years ago Leica and Panny made a partnership to share technology with each other; Panny to share autofocus & electronic camera operation with Leica, and Leica to share optical technology with Panny. It's clearly been a fruitful relationship as evidenced by the incredible Leica Vario glass on the M43 system, and the blistering accuracy of Panny's Depth from Defocus inspired AF system tech inside the Leica SL and Leica Q. If Panny debut's a full-frame with the SL mount, then I think we've got a real contender to the upcoming Sony A7S III in terms of video capabilities.

For the price I paid, I really like my Lumix G7 with the Leica 15mm. And I would certainly consider a FF mirrorless from them, but as usual, it's all about the lenses. It's a long road, coming out with a line-up of new FF lenses, and I don't see it happening usless they work with Leica.

Upvote 0
Dec 19, 2014
Because the GH5 feels and looks like a child’s toy. It works great for what it does, but it feels like Panasonic spends their R&D on their ENG cameras, not their hobby “stills” bodies.

The only way I see Panasonic's bodies as less refined are the materials. I am still using a 2011 G3, which (in good light) is capable of generating files that rival my 7D's, and which has a much better UI than Sony has had until very recently. Panasonic's cameras have evolved exponentially; they are not perfect, though nobody else's are either. I welcome their entry into FF and hope their latest product will accept adapted EL lenses. No matter what, the announcement sure makes the camera world pretty interesting right now.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

goldenhusky

CR Pro
Dec 2, 2016
So a Sony A7III with "Panasonic" printed on a less refined body? Are they going to start making their own sensors?

Per Wiki "TowerJazz also owns 51% of TowerJazz Panasonic Semiconductor Co." Also a while ago TowerJazz CEO mentioned that they are working with a leading Full Frame DSLR manufacturer on their next generation sensor which created a speculation the D850 sensor might have been made by TowerJazz but that turned out to be false when someone found out the D850 uses Sony IMX309AQJ sensor. At the same time TowerJazz also said they are working on a full frame sensor with global shutter which was again speculated for Nikon Mirrorless. But I suspect the sensor in both Z6 and Z7 are made by Sony and I would not be surprised some of the current m43 Panasonic sensors and the future (if this rumor turns out to be true) Panny full frame mirroless are made by TowerJazz given that they both have invested together and have a common interest.

Upvote 0
Jul 20, 2010
And I would certainly consider a FF mirrorless from them, but as usual, it's all about the lenses.

You can say that again. The Nikon Z series holds little interest to me because of weight alone. How can a simple 50mm f/1.8 lens weighs 400g? What is Nikon thinking?

I hope Panny's system is lightweight.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0