Industry News: Sony Introduces the High-resolution A7R IV with World’s First 61.0 MP Back-illuminated, Full-frame Image Sensor

Same thing for me. 5D4 and A7III and a Tamron 28-75. The Sony is nice. Took that camera only on vacation and it performed flawlessly in 5 different national parks and the files are great. The A7III and Tamron were great for all the hiking we did. I attached it to my backpack with the Peak Designs clip and I almost forgot it was there most of the time and we were on some tough hikes in Glacier National Parks and Yellowstone NP. Already started printing large prints today at the studio.

Last August I took my a7III on an Alaskan cruise (had my Canon with me as well) and it was my favorite camera to use aboard the ship and even some non-harsh environmental excursions. My favorite paring was with my Canon 17-40mm f/4. This lens NEVER impressed me on any of my Canon bodies but the pics on the Sony turned out tack sharp (mostly). They were so sharp that I even noticed the lens was decentered with the right side being completely sharp and 20% of the left being soft.

By the way, I'd love to pick up the Tamron 28-75 but it just irks me that they raised the price on it a hundred bucks -and it is STILL on back order. LOL

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

RayValdez360

Soon to be the greatest.
Jun 6, 2012
Philadelphia
Sony's headquarters
Management/Marketing: "We want you to bring us a camera that will sell for $3500 US."

(2 years later)
Engineers: "Here you go!"

Management/Marketing: "Whoa!"

Canon's headquarters
Management/Marketing: "We want you to bring us a camera that will sell for $3500 US."

(3 years later)
Engineers: "Here you go!"

Management/Marketing: "No! No! You need to remove this feature and this feature and limit this other feature and. . . ."
yup. they are almost ripping us off at this point.

Upvote 0

RayValdez360

Soon to be the greatest.
Jun 6, 2012
Philadelphia
This thread for some reason brought out the Canon trolls masquerading as either on-the-fence or gullible-impressed users ("I have Canon but Sony's really tempting me!" or "Sony was already 5 years ahead of Canon, now they're 10 years ahead!"). If you're really on-the-fence or impressed, wouldn't you be trying and buying Sony and posting on Sony forums? Really. I did. I heard all the rave reviews since the original A7, then all the hoopla when the a7R2 came out, so decided to try it. I liked the compact size especially with a few of the zeiss lenses. But I was stunned how undeveloped it was - slow, sluggish, freezes when buffering, frustrating menus, video autofocus inferior to dpaf, etc. Very few reviews mentioned this, among many other flaws, including the pervasive dust sensor issue, oh and the anti-flicker on the a7r3 doesn't actually work (ref: TDP a7r3 review).

If you're really on-the-fence, see what 2 pro's said about the a7R2 (yes it's an older model, but compare what they experience versus the online reviews, and notice the reality gap): https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/59526785 (pro users are "unknown user"/Sr1racha, the OP, who was Sung Park from http://www.sungparkphotography.com , and Jeff2013 from http://www.gr8photography.com ) In short, Sony's specs and real-world performance don't match. They over-hype and under-deliver. Canon does the opposite. Really, if you're impressed with Sony, go try it. The grass is always greener. Then maybe (probably) we'll eventually see you back here.
I have heard mostly good things about Sony cameras after the A9 released. The 3rd gen alpha seems to be a winner. now the 4th gen seems to be an even further step in the right direction. I dont see why everyone is knocking it. What more could you want outside of 4k 60p. Why wouldnt someone think about buying Sony cameras today..

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

PVCC

Arts & Engineering
Jul 5, 2019
I'd like to mention just 5 things:

1- That is one of the most "Cinematographic" promotional video of a camera I've seen. Sony has put noticeable very detailed shots on it. (Cinematographer & Editor mode ON when watching it...)

2- The camera looks great, specs too (almost every), but REMEMBER:
If you don't use EXTREME HIGH QUALITY OPTICS, you won't ever get "Real" 60MP resolution images (the picture might have 60MP in size, but not in Real detail, which applies to every ultra high res camera). So think about spending MANY TIMES the cost of the camera in Lenses (if you're interested on it)

3- Sony (and Panasonic, each on its path) are SMART Companies, which innovate and RARELY (at least in last years) "Cripple" their cameras as Canon usually do (Nikon too). Even having Cinema/Video cameras (the old "argument" -cheap excuse- of Canon to not "cannibalize" their own cameras is obsolete...). Someone said, if you don't cannibalize your own product, someone else will do it. True.

4- Canon and Nikon, the most renowned camera brands are many years behind in the mirrorless camera field. That's because Sony was smarter and not "stoned" to "old school" (or petrified minds in charge, sounds harsh, I know). The mirrorless offer several Amazing features that are not possible with DSLRs (like the continuous image processing, which deals in a superb AF and Face recognition, even Augmented Reality -if you don't see it yet, just wait a bit.. etc). Canon will certainly and finally go "full" on mirrorless in near future, but since they invested so much in DSLR development they are s...l...o...w... They 1st real mirrorless cameras are still babies.

5- Canon still sell more (that's what's is said...), but don't ever think you will be in the same place forever mate...
I love Canon lenses (but hate their TERRIBLE Quality Control, when you have to return a VERY expensive lens 3 times to finally get a "good copy"... something that demonstrate their extremely poor interest and efforts to offer real-state quality, just wanting to sell, expecting that most customers will NOT check those expensive lenses really carefully (very big percentage don't do it). I suffered this for years and it never ends... Even though, I admire the amazing Optics (when you finally get the "good copy" lens...)

Cheers Sony!! I really hope some japanese Product Managers at Canon go away retired and the company gets Fresh minds NOT AFRAID of releasing all possible features in their cameras to their "loyal customers" -whom Canon are supposed to "listen to"...- (really difficult, if not impossible. Some japanese CEOs are like a stone, sadly)

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

Aussie shooter

https://brettguyphotography.picfair.com/
Dec 6, 2016
brettguyphotography.picfair.com
I have heard mostly good things about Sony cameras after the A9 released. The 3rd gen alpha seems to be a winner. now the 4th gen seems to be an even further step in the right direction. I dont see why everyone is knocking it. What more could you want outside of 4k 60p. Why wouldnt someone think about buying Sony cameras today..
Ergonomics(they claim to have improved them but I will have to hold one to see), weather sealing (they claim to have improved it so again the proof will be in the using), the evf(while they are improving I have not yet looked through one that i like more rhan a OVF), lenses(I have a bunch of canon lenses and having played with the sonys and adapted canon glass I have not been impressed), lack of intuitive usabilty. None of these reasons can be found on a spec sheet. No doubt sonys specs are awesome. Great sensors and fantasic innovation in things like AF etc. But there have just been too many important compromises to this point.

Upvote 0
Apr 1, 2016
Well about lens quality control; read the piece Roger of lensrentals wrote about the 70-200’s...seems Sony still has some things to sort out. I don’t recognize it with Canon to be honest, I have about 8 L lenses ranging from 16 to 500mm and they are all doing their jobs very well.

But back to this cam; seems like a great tool. Does anyone know if it has an option to shoot something like mRaw? As in; smaller file size but no crop? i know it has an aps c mode but I suppose thats cropped.

If the RS or whatever the high res R is called will be good enough I’ll get that, mainly for wildllife, but if not this might be a good alternative. One problem: I’d pair it with the (sony) 400 2.8 and that lens seems to be vaporware over here; since its release last year, no major retailer here has had it available yet and only sony ambassadors seem to be able to get their hands on it...

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
I'd like to mention just 5 things:

1- That is one of the most "Cinematographic" promotional video of a camera I've seen. Sony has put noticeable very detailed shots on it. (Cinematographer & Editor mode ON when watching it...)

2- The camera looks great, specs too (almost every), but REMEMBER:
If you don't use EXTREME HIGH QUALITY OPTICS, you won't ever get "Real" 60MP resolution images (the picture might have 60MP in size, but not in Real detail, which applies to every ultra high res camera). So think about spending MANY TIMES the cost of the camera in Lenses (if you're interested on it)

3- Sony (and Panasonic, each on its path) are SMART Companies, which innovate and RARELY (at least in last years) "Cripple" their cameras as Canon usually do (Nikon too). Even having Cinema/Video cameras (the old "argument" -cheap excuse- of Canon to not "cannibalize" their own cameras is obsolete...). Someone said, if you don't cannibalize your own product, someone else will do it. True.

4- Canon and Nikon, the most renowned camera brands are many years behind in the mirrorless camera field. That's because Sony was smarter and not "stoned" to "old school" (or petrified minds in charge, sounds harsh, I know). The mirrorless offer several Amazing features that are not possible with DSLRs (like the continuous image processing, which deals in a superb AF and Face recognition, even Augmented Reality -if you don't see it yet, just wait a bit.. etc). Canon will certainly and finally go "full" on mirrorless in near future, but since they invested so much in DSLR development they are s...l...o...w... They 1st real mirrorless cameras are still babies.

5- Canon still sell more (that's what's is said...), but don't ever think you will be in the same place forever mate...
I love Canon lenses (but hate their TERRIBLE Quality Control, when you have to return a VERY expensive lens 3 times to finally get a "good copy"... something that demonstrate their extremely poor interest and efforts to offer real-state quality, just wanting to sell, expecting that most customers will NOT check those expensive lenses really carefully (very big percentage don't do it). I suffered this for years and it never ends... Even though, I admire the amazing Optics (when you finally get the "good copy" lens...)

Cheers Sony!! I really hope some japanese Product Managers at Canon go away retired and the company gets Fresh minds NOT AFRAID of releasing all possible features in their cameras to their "loyal customers" -whom Canon are supposed to "listen to"...- (really difficult, if not impossible. Some japanese CEOs are like a stone, sadly)
YAPODFC.

Upvote 0
Jan 16, 2019
yup. they are almost ripping us off at this point.
So this new Sony has 8bit video instead of Eos R's 10bit. This new Sony needs a special mode to focus in dark, but still cannon AF in as dark as Eos R can focus. This new Sony's touchscreen cannot be used in menus (just like previous Sony cameras) whereas Canon's can be used for almost any function. Oh and this "new" Sony uses 1.6x and 1.8x crop factor to get decent 4K video (for which Canon has been criticised heavily).
I will not even start what Sony "removed/cut off" in A7III (like horrible LCD, a lot worse EVF, way worse weather sealing etc..).
Do not fall victim to Sony propaganda. ALL companies cut something.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
The mirrorless offer several Amazing features that are not possible with DSLRs (like the continuous image processing, which deals in a superb AF and Face recognition, even Augmented Reality -if you don't see it yet, just wait a bit.. etc).

Augmented Reality MILCs? Wake me up when that happens. And, mind you, Canon already has a 120MP 9.4 fps APS-H sensor, just not in a MILC (yet?).

Upvote 0

RayValdez360

Soon to be the greatest.
Jun 6, 2012
Philadelphia
Yes. But if they use the term 'cropped' then people won't be able to hate on cannon as much. And I reckon the youtoob 'reviewers' will buy it hook line and sinker. Some won't of course. But the fanboy ones will
I believe they give you an option for full frame 4k and s35 4k for supposedly better results. Even still s35 is standard vs the crappy 1.7 crop of the eos r and 5d iv. No lenses are made with a 1.7 crop in mind.

Upvote 0
I must be mis-understanding something here... Isn't direct readout super 35mm 4k just a fancy way of saying the 4k is cropped on the sensor? I thought pixel binning was the preffered way of getting 4k off of a higher resolution sensor?
Just a dumby looking fur enlightenment...

They use full pixel readout with 6k to 4k downsampling, if you shoot in crop mode. You can still shoot in fullframe mode with pixel binning. Obviously they can't downsample the whole 60 megapixels.

Upvote 0

RayValdez360

Soon to be the greatest.
Jun 6, 2012
Philadelphia
Imagine being one of those people who bought the Nikon Z7 for the same price as the A7RIV. Oops! Canon was smart not to come out so quick with their Hi Res mirror-less. I know if I was a Nikon shooter I would be mmmmmmmmmm UPSET!
yeah but with Canon there is a high chance of coming later yet inferior in a few ways.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012

Lensrentals are professional lens testers and publish their results on quality variation for all to see. Canon generally has very good quality control and often the best of the usual producers, especially their most recent lenses. Sony is often the worst. Read the latest blog of two days ago on 70-200mm f/2.8 lenses: https://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2019/07/just-the-mtf-charts-70-200mm-f2-8-zooms/
This is what they write about the Sony: "Welcome to the MTF of the most tested lens in our history. Why did we test so many copies? Because Sony fanboys (and employees) were absolutely, positively, certain this lens was the best 70-200mm EVER. It’s not. It’s a decent lens with a LOT of sample variation."

If you want each lens to be individually tested and only the very best picked out, the price will be some ten times more, as lenstrentals has pointed out in the past, and reiterated two days ago with their comments on the Zeiss $21,000 Cinema 70-200mm T2.9 zoom."If you are expecting that extra $18,000 buys you higher resolution, well, nope. What it buys is consistency, lack of focus breathing, a true parfocal image, and accurate focusing scale."

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Aussie shooter

https://brettguyphotography.picfair.com/
Dec 6, 2016
brettguyphotography.picfair.com
I believe they give you an option for full frame 4k and s35 4k for supposedly better results. Even still s35 is standard vs the crappy 1.7 crop of the eos r and 5d iv. No lenses are made with a 1.7 crop in mind.
Ues. The option is pixel binning for the ff 4k which I have heard plenty of people whinge about as it leads to soft images. And a crop is a crop.whether it is super 35 or 1.7 is irrelevant. Don't get me wrong. I think what they offer is fine. But i couldn't care less about video. What i am insinuating is that the youtoob fanboi reviewers will overlook and deficiencies in the areas they constantly blast canon for. Personally from what I can see it looks like a pretty damn good camera.

Upvote 0

RayValdez360

Soon to be the greatest.
Jun 6, 2012
Philadelphia
So this new Sony has 8bit video instead of Eos R's 10bit. This new Sony needs a special mode to focus in dark, but still cannon AF in as dark as Eos R can focus. This new Sony's touchscreen cannot be used in menus (just like previous Sony cameras) whereas Canon's can be used for almost any function. Oh and this "new" Sony uses 1.6x and 1.8x crop factor to get decent 4K video (for which Canon has been criticised heavily).
I will not even start what Sony "removed/cut off" in A7III (like horrible LCD, a lot worse EVF, way worse weather sealing etc..).
Do not fall victim to Sony propaganda. ALL companies cut something.
EOS R is 10 bit externally and only in 4k not even in 1080. makes no sense, example of crippling and thinking for customers. I dont know about the AF claims. Where is the verification of this. True the menus are still ass. S35 is a like 1.5 crop. Do you have evidence that the FF 4k is bad? Liek samples and comparisons. 1.5 is still better than 1.7/1.8. i have video lens and they all are tighter then they should be. this is the a7riv and they claim better oled and weather sealing. So far the only thing you are right about is the terrible menus. I dont see what is cut from this camera at all.

Upvote 0

RayValdez360

Soon to be the greatest.
Jun 6, 2012
Philadelphia
Ues. The option is pixel binning for the ff 4k which I have heard plenty of people whinge about as it leads to soft images. And a crop is a crop.whether it is super 35 or 1.7 is irrelevant. Don't get me wrong. I think what they offer is fine. But i couldn't care less about video. What i am insinuating is that the youtoob fanboi reviewers will overlook and deficiencies in the areas they constantly blast canon for. Personally from what I can see it looks like a pretty damn good camera.
I just find it hard to hate on the camera. ALso it is focused on stills not video but it seems more than capable of doing good videos and still has better video features than what canon and nikon has atm. This is like complaining about the gfx100 video features or the s1r. the main purpose of this isnt video ljust like those other cameras yet people are already bashing this camera from that perspective. I would get it day 1 if i didnt invest into Canon already.

Upvote 0