Industry News: The first Nikon Z 9 specifications

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Nikon Rumors has released the first specifications for Nikon’s professional Z 9 mirrorless camera. This will complete with Sony’s pro A9 series camera and the rumored Canon EOS R1.
Perhaps Nikon has their resources into this camera and its why the D6 was such an incremental update.
Rumored Nikon Z 9 specifications:

Nikon Z9 is expected in the fall of 2021
No official plans for a Nikon Z8 camera yet
Prototype Z9 cameras may be tested at the Tokyo Olympics next year
New Nikkor Z 400mm f/2.8 mirrorless lens is also rumored for the Olympics
The Z9 is described as a D6 body combined with EOS R5 imaging, α9II AF, and blackout-free EVF
46MP (previous rumors suggested a 60MP...

Continue reading...

Reactions: 1 user
D

Deleted member 381342

What is object detection AF?

Also, I'm curious if those 20 FPS are mechanical. At the moment, it looks like Canon has figured something out that the others didn't with their most recent shutters.

I think it will be mechanical as that would be a reasonable upgrade to the 16 in the D6. Object detection might be something akin to it looking at a scene and seeing there is a tea pot in front and a tea cosy in the back then you can use the joystick to flick between the objects.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

StevenA

CR Pro
Jul 8, 2020
Marketing hyperbole. Nikon is scared to death of their current financial position so they are jumping the shark on announcing a pro series mirrorless to try and keep their fan base from jumping ship.

"Hey look! We're going to release a large R5 equivalent camera a year after Canon released a small R5 camera! Don't leave now!"

Upvote 0
Well, the specs as a rumour will certainly turn heads, but it may not be out of the realm of possibility. The Rumour's of Sony's pro mirrorless seem to share some of this (i.e. 8K capacity and obviously the sensor resolution to provide that), and with rumours of the R1 not recycling the 1DXIII sensor, I kind of wonder if all three manufacturers are going to make the jump to higher-resolution pro bodies, despite that not being the traditional approach to pro body design (nor a desired approach for some).

It'll be interesting to see if any of this comes true or if it ends up being vapourware.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Well, the specs as a rumour will certainly turn heads, but it may not be out of the realm of possibility.
It sound absolutely possible to me. The specs sound like R5 electronics (45 MP, amazing AF and viewfinder, 20 FPS) and 1DX III mechanics (20 FPS mechanical shutter, durability, form factor, battery). With the size of the flagship DSLR bodies, dealing with the thermals of 8K should be far less problematic.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
Hmmnn... sounds like the Marketing Department have really gone to work on their blurb then... ;) ;) Will be stellar if Engineering have managed to keep pace.
The specs are pretty plausible if Nikon can catch up to Canon and Sony with autofocus.
This camera would basically be an R5 in a big enough body to avoid overheating.

Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
Well, the specs as a rumour will certainly turn heads, but it may not be out of the realm of possibility. The Rumour's of Sony's pro mirrorless seem to share some of this (i.e. 8K capacity and obviously the sensor resolution to provide that), and with rumours of the R1 not recycling the 1DXIII sensor, I kind of wonder if all three manufacturers are going to make the jump to higher-resolution pro bodies, despite that not being the traditional approach to pro body design (nor a desired approach for some).

It'll be interesting to see if any of this comes true or if it ends up being vapourware.
I do not believe R1 image and video resolution will exceed 6K.
The 1DX III main selling point is the infinite buffer.
Large image sizes make that extremely difficult and for people who take thousands of pictures bigger files cause more problems than they solve.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 381342

The specs are pretty plausible if Nikon can catch up to Canon and Sony with autofocus.
This camera would basically be an R5 in a big enough body to avoid overheating.

We'll see next week is Nikon can catch up. Though we keep forgetting Nikon where ahead until the R5 and R6 came out. Even the D6 has a cracking AF system improvement over the D5.

I don't think they'll be enough between the Nikon and Canon going forward for it to matter all that much. Just pick the one you like best or that has lenses for you.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
We'll see next week is Nikon can catch up. Though we keep forgetting Nikon where ahead until the R5 and R6 came out. Even the D6 has a cracking AF system improvement over the D5.

I don't think they'll be enough between the Nikon and Canon going forward for it to matter all that much. Just pick the one you like best or that has lenses for you.
Or have both.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0