Nikon officially announced the Z 8, which is aimed squarely at the Canon EOS R5

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
It looks like Nikon has released a “baby” version of their fantastic Nikon Z 9 flagship camera body. For the most part, the Z 8 matches the features of the Z 9, and does so in a much smaller body and at a much lower price. Along with the camera body, Nikon has also announced

See full article...

Reactions: 1 user

bbasiaga

Canon Shooter
Nov 15, 2011
USA
I wonder if their AF has caught up to the R5, or even R6II level of tracking yet?

We could play a fun game - if Canon released this camera what specs would it be panned for? I'll start -

- Too slow at 20fps
- wrong bit depth on 8k video
- mis-matched card slots
- no pre-shoot buffer

All that aside i'm sure this will be a great body. I'm not super willing to swtich or maintain two systems though. My R6 is meeting all my needs, but I might like a stacked sensor to avoid the few rolling shutter artifacts i see in a few of my sports images.

-Brian

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
I wonder if their AF has caught up to the R5, or even R6II level of tracking yet?

We could play a fun game - if Canon released this camera what specs would it be panned for? I'll start -

- Too slow at 20fps
- wrong bit depth on 8k video
- mis-matched card slots
- no pre-shoot buffer

All that aside i'm sure this will be a great body. I'm not super willing to swtich or maintain two systems though. My R6 is meeting all my needs, but I might like a stacked sensor to avoid the few rolling shutter artifacts i see in a few of my sports images.

-Brian
I agree, I'm a little baffled by this new Nikon.
I'm struggling to see what the fuss is about.
To me it looks like Nikon have placed a similar camera to the Canon R5, at 1$K expensive and 3 years late.
I'm not seeing much benefit over the Canon and the Canon is due for replacement...and it's cheaper...and it's been around for a while....and...it's very similar specced.

Upvote 0
Jun 27, 2013
Pune
To me it looks like Nikon have placed a similar camera to the Canon R5, at 1$K expensive and 3 years late.
I'm not seeing much benefit over the Canon and the Canon is due for replacement...and it's cheaper...and it's been around for a while....and...it's very similar specced.
Stacked sensor is the reason for that $1k price increase over its direct rivals.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
It looks a bit weird with that tall fake pentaprism (which seems to have a built-in flash).
The specs look like a minor upgrade over what Canon has in the R5.

I'd expect the R5ii to have a very similar specification, but I think Canon will retain a mechanical shutter.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
It looks a bit weird with that tall fake pentaprism (which seems to have a built-in flash).
No onboard flash.

I thought DPR went dark?

Ahhh...just dim.

Screenshot 2023-05-10 at 10.10.43 AM.png

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jun 27, 2013
Pune
Upvote 0

bbasiaga

Canon Shooter
Nov 15, 2011
USA
it has the stacked sensor going for it. I guess until we see some real world reviews it'll be hard to tell what other improvements it has in real use. It doesn't ring out 'R5 killer' to me based on the spec sheet though.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
I started a thread on this, but as this one has taken over, mine is now redundant and I have deleted it.
"Nikon Z8 is announced: price $3997 in USA and £3999 in UK. The UK and US prices are basically the same as 20% taxes are included in the UK. Kudos for Nikon for not price gouging the Brits, and so it's £300 cheaper than the R5 for us. I hope Nikon is successful and keeps up the competitive pressure. It looks like a great piece of kit with the performance of the Z9 but cheaper and considerably lighter."

The Z9 is a really good camera but is as big as a tank and weighs about the same. The Z9 has an AF that is as least as good as the R5, and if the Z8 is as good, as it should be, Nikon now have an excellent rival to the R5, which is still larger and heavier, but more up to date in some respects, but not enough that would tempt me back.

Upvote 0
The R5’s MSRP is only $100 less than this, yes there’s a rebate on it right now but I feel like it’s unfair to factor that in to the equation considering it will probably be $3899 again before the end of the month. The stacked sensor alone is worth that premium though, I barely use my R5 anymore since getting the R3 over a year ago because I don’t have to worry about rolling shutter or any of the weird IBIS wobble effects that I’d see in bursts with the R5. I’d still take the R3 over a Z8 though, the R3 is a better camera in every way aside from resolution (but what it loses in res it makes up for with its insane low light performance).

It’ll be interesting to see how Canon follows this up when the R5 Mark II is finally released. If they stick with a conventional sensor that’s going to be a big mistake IMO. I guess it’ll come down to what the resolution of that camera ends up being and whether or not it would cannibalize R1 sales (which I highly doubt).

Upvote 0