It looks like Nikon is targeting the Canon EOS R5 with the upcoming Nikon Z 8

I am being a bit dramatic, but between no R1 and no R5ii until probably next year, people might be moving back to nikon and that could hurt Canon for years.
Indeed a bit dramatic. There will be a few users who have sufficient time/money and inclination to switch systems based on one body. Not saying that it wouldn't be good for those users including the nice/pricey Nikon lenses but the number of switchers is likely to be low. Hurting Canon would take a lot more and the only example was even close was Canon's late entry into FF mirrorless bodies.

I believe that any potential switchers would have already done so with the Z9's introduction and competitive pricing.
Newbie buyers having the choice of systems/lenses may chose the yet-to-be released Z8 + lenses vs R5 but the additional features are incrementally small vs the R5.
I can't imagine that there are many willing to start at this level though.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
How can you guys say Canon better look out when they haven't even release the equivalent to this? Literally all the latest RF bodies have left the completion in the dust. We're literally the leaders. A lot of you seem like you're stuck in the 5D IV days of Canon. We've been out of that for a couple years.
In the rarefied pointy end, the A1 could be considered better in some ways although a lot of pros have preferred with 1 series body format in the past.
Adding a grip isn't the same but Sony have certainly sold some A1s.
The R3 is great but is beaten by the A1 in a number of areas.
Canon and Nikon always had competitive offerings leap frogging each other at times. Good to have competition!

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Ergonomics seem to be among the most prevalent complaints regarding Sony cameras.
I guess that the issue is what is a significant enough issue for people to switch. A gripe is one thing (and star eater and menus etc) but a blocking issue is another.

Sony have always prided themselves with what features they achieve in a small package but the competition is much closer now.

Upvote 0
fact noun /fækt/
something that is known to have happened or to exist, especially something for which proof exists

Just FYI, since evidently you are unaware.

[/troll-feeding]

Point taken. Imo should have been used.
But imo Canon is now behind.

The a1, z9 and now z8 will outperform the r5 and r3. This is mostly about af and or resolution. My perspective comes more from action and wildlife. The fact is I will likely buy a z8 and see how much better it performs than my r5.. :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
I can't imagine that there are many willing to start at this level though.
I think Nikon is aiming for DSLR buyers who have not switched over to mirrorless yet.
Canon has done an excellent job of maintaining EF lens compatibility that I doubt very many would switch over at the Z 8 level of camera.
Meanwhile, Canon is stealing Nikon users with the R7, R6, R6 II, and the cheap RF 100-400 and RF 800 f/11 lenses.

I have heard some wildlife photographers who are drooling over the Nikon super telephoto collection say the only reason they did not switch over was the Z 9 is too big for them to hike with.
The Z 8 may fit the bill.
Nikon has a killer combination but it is still at a pretty high price level.
Those people can afford to switch but they can also afford to switch back for the R1 if they so desire.

Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
The fact is I will likely buy a z8 and see how much better it performs than my r5.. :)
I think the Z 8 will cost substantially more than the R5.
The Z 9 already costs less than the R3 and the Z 8 will surely be significantly less than the Z 9.
Good luck with whatever you decide to do.
Hopefully, a camera lens combination comes out that fits your needs and your budget regardless who makes it.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
I think Nikon is aiming for DSLR buyers who have not switched over to mirrorless yet.
Canon has done an excellent job of maintaining EF lens compatibility that I doubt very many would switch over at the Z 8 level of camera.
Meanwhile, Canon is stealing Nikon users with the R7, R6, R6 II, and the cheap RF 100-400 and RF 800 f/11 lenses.
I think both Canon and Nikon are going after DLSR owners. MILCs began barely outselling DSLRs in 2020. Although that changeover has been rapid (last year MILCs comprised 83% of the ILC market, and what DSLRs were sold were likely almost all entry-level models that keep selling because they're cheaper than corresponding MILCs), it's only been a couple of years so given the useful life of ILCs it's almost certain that the current installed base is still heavily weighted to DLSRs. Since Sony hadn't been making them for quite some time, that installed base is mostly Canon and Nikon and those manufacturers are hoping to keep buyers in-brand. Nikon particularly, since for the past several years Sony's market share gains have come at the expense of Nikon's losses.

Upvote 0

Chiphadzuwa

Eyes of Other Souls
Apr 22, 2023
A class by themselves. The "whatchamacallit". Hurts just looking at it.

View attachment 208817
Kinda reminds me of a skiing accident I had in the Sierra backcountry. Left me with both big toes broken. And the right edge of this picture reminds me of the face plant that went with that accident. :)

Upvote 0

Chiphadzuwa

Eyes of Other Souls
Apr 22, 2023
The target isn't the R5. This camera leaves the R5 in the dust. The Z8 is the mirrorless D850 and Canon had better look out. The Z8 is what the R5ii needs to be, and canon is now late. If you recall, the d850 was the best all around and for a couple of years nikon took market share. With their innovative long primes and now the z8, I may think about heading back. At least Canon now has a confimed target to hit. I am being a bit dramatic, but between no R1 and no R5ii until probably next year, people might be moving back to nikon and that could hurt Canon for years.
"With their innovative long primes and now the z8, I may think about heading back. "

Me too. My camera bodies are just tools. It's the long lenses that will make my purchase decisions for me. And Canon has priced me out of their long primes. If the Z8 is good enough, I'm over to the dark side.

Upvote 0
"With their innovative long primes and now the z8, I may think about heading back. "

Me too. My camera bodies are just tools. It's the long lenses that will make my purchase decisions for me. And Canon has priced me out of their long primes. If the Z8 is good enough, I'm over to the dark side.

The long nikon primes are great because if you want the ultimate, you have the 400 or 600 tc... If you can find one that is. If you are satisfied with something a tad slower, you have the new 400 4.5, the old but still amazing 300 or 500 pf, or the new 800 pf. Canon big primes are similarly priced at the high end but aren't as innovative in design.. At least not yet.

Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
True but Sony's bodies are much smaller and their users appear to be happy with the size. The R5 is smaller than the 5Div which is fine for me so size isn't everything :)
And for other photographers, the 5 D IV is ideally sized. I cannot use the EOS R well without battery grip, and hated the Sony A7 so much that I sold it after a few weeks.
OK. The size of the Sony was only one of many reasons...

Upvote 0
And for other photographers, the 5 D IV is ideally sized. I cannot use the EOS R well without battery grip, and hated the Sony A7 so much that I sold it after a few weeks.
OK. The size of the Sony was only one of many reasons...
I'm not excited about the R5 size, I just tolerate it. The battery grip is not up to Canon's design or quality in my opinion. Your fingers do not naturally hold it properly since your fingers have to stretch/reach for the buttons and nothing on it feels right. It's as though Canon outsourced the design and manufacturing of it and it shows. This is the worst piece of Canon gear I have ever bought. Canon has a special deal now when you buy the R5 you get a free battery grip and in this case, you get what you pay for.

Upvote 0
The Z8 is Nikon's #2 camera, slotting below the flagship Z9.
The R3 is Canon's #2 camera, slotting below the [eventual] flagship R1.
The A9ii [and upcoming A9iii] is Sony's #2 camera, slotting below the flagship A1.

These cameras sit at the same place in each manufacturer's lineup and they are what compete against the Z8. Not the R5 as this site claims. Not the A7RV as Sony Alpha Rumors claims.

Nikon's AF doesn't quite match up to Canon or Sony AF yet, but in pretty much every other way the Z8 destroys both the R3 and the A9ii. Canon and Sony both have their work cut out for them to compete against the Z8.

Upvote 0