Is a 150mp Canon EOS R camera on the way? [CR1]

D

Deleted member 381342

Maybe this rumored sensor is larger than the standard 35mm FF size. Or, it could be a Foveon type of sensor.

Canon medium format sensors and lenses would make a splash. Mirrorless medium format bodies are much more compact than their mirrored counterparts. And the lenses I use that scream high MP are also not the ones I put on a wildlife and sports focused body.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Architect1776

Defining the poetics of space through Architecture
Aug 18, 2017
Williamsport, PA
Are full frame lenses really resolving much of anything at that pixel density?

Absolutely.
L lenses easily do 250 MP so 150 would be a piece of cake.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Architect1776

Defining the poetics of space through Architecture
Aug 18, 2017
Williamsport, PA
Sure, it’s possible, but what kind of per pixel IQ could we expect from that, and can lenses be made sharp enough for that rez? We’re hitting the point of max resolution now, as the laws of physics are telling us that we’re running right near the edge.

L lenses handle it just fine.

Upvote 0

justaCanonuser

Grab your camera, go out and shoot!
Feb 12, 2014
Frankfurt, Germany
Too much much MP for me.
But if some desire so much Theben good luck for you.
Same with me. You will have to carry a complete workstation with you to get the images post-processed. Plus, DLA (diffraction limited aperture) would have to be f/3.5 or something like that I guess, so you could forget to shoot e.g. landscapes the classic way (f/16 or 22) and get substantially more real image information out of such a camera than out of a, say, a 5D3. Plus, you would have to shoot even moderately moving subjects with 3x higher (am I right?) shutter speeds than with a 50 MP camera to freeze them sharply on the pixel level. I think if Earth moves closer to the sun, Canon should bring out such a monster :devilish:

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
People keep writing that more MP won't mean more resolution due to limiting optics and diffraction. That's a myth. Sony's A7r IV generates 241MP files by pixel shifting with visible improvement over it's base 61MP. Most of their lenses aren't any better than Canon's.

More MP just means any optical aberrations, including diffraction (which is always present) will be imaged with more pixels.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
To put it in perspective, a 150 Mpx FF sensor has the same pixel density as a 20.2 Mpx 1" sensor as used with great success in many Canon and Sony cameras, and with a diffraction limited aperture of f/3.9. There is very good IQ with these below about 400 iso and they give acceptable images at higher isos.

Reactions: 7 users
Upvote 0