Is September 14 the day we finally get the official Canon EOS R3 announcement?

You mean data like you said showed Sony gaining ground and Canon losing ground in the FF MILC market from 2017-2020, except that you mixed up Sony and Canon on the plot so the data show the exact opposite of your conclusion?

View attachment 199931

I'm not the one who doesn't know how to read a graph, lol. My grades were excellent, all the way through my PhD.

You embarrass yourself further with each successive post. It's becoming pathetic..but OTOH, it's mildly amusing to see you flailing around, so by all means, keep going.
But that chart still shows sony is ahead in FF market share, right? Do you think they've always been ahead? Or do you think they got ahead in the past few years before that chart?? This is common sense 3rd grade stuff bud.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
But that chart still shows sony is ahead in FF market share, right? Do you think they've always been ahead? Or do you think they got ahead in the past few years before that chart?? This is common sense 3rd grade stuff bud.
Hi genius. Sony was ahead by default when that chart started. Now Sony is losing share. Why? Because there are now actual MILC ff competitors. Sony has never been ahead in total ff market share world wide. Never.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Hi genius. Sony was ahead by default when that chart started. Now Sony is losing share. Why? Because there are now actual MILC ff competitors. Sony has never been ahead in total ff market share world wide. Never.
Lets take this really slow. Sony had the only mirrorless FF option available in the market for years. Mirrorless market share grew for years. That means more people started using sony cameras right? If more people started using sony mirrorless cameras, do you think they still used old DSLRs? What happens to the market share when customers use company A's products more than Company B's? Does company A's market share grow or Company B's? I'm not sure if I am explaining this slow enough for you guys but trying to get to the point that sony has been making gains for years when canon and nikon had no mirrorless offering. They lost a crap load of customers. Long time canon users switched to sony in mass.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Lets take this really slow. Sony had the only mirrorless FF option available in the market for years. Mirrorless market share grew for years. That means more people started using sony cameras right? If more people started using sony mirrorless cameras, do you think they still used old DSLRs? What happens to the market share when customers use company A's products more than Company B's? Does company A's market share grow or Company B's? I'm not sure if I am explaining this slow enough for you guys but trying to get to the point that sony has been making gains for years when canon and nikon had no mirrorless offering. They lost a crap load of customers. Long time canon users switched to sony in mass.
You seem to have a very basic problem: Not understanding that Sony has never been #1, and never will be. That, and your complete blindness. Canon did not lose a large number of customers to Sony.

Upvote 0
You seem to have a very basic problem: Not understanding that Sony has never been #1, and never will be. That, and your complete blindness. Canon did not lose a large number of customers to Sony.
They lost a crap load of users, me included. I've seen many famous photographers on social media switch to sony in the past few years. Many of my peers in the industry have left canon for sony. With the R5 everything has changed, but I'm not sure they have the funds to switch back to canon after investing heavily in sony. Me personally, I will be switching back to canon when the R1 arrives. I partially switched back when the R5 came out

Upvote 0
Which brings us to the R3. None of us knows which of the features of the R3 were determined by market research and which were determined by design and budget considerations. A 24mp sensor will certainly move data faster than a 45mp sensor. A 24mp sensor will certainly clear the buffer faster than a 45mp sensor. Could a 45mp sensor move data as fast and clear the buffer as quickly as the 1Dx III? I imagine that may very well be a financial decision -- To hit the price point of the R3, which will be below the 1Dx III, I doubt if Canon wanted to invest in design and manufacturing changes that added significant costs over the 1Dx III.

Another thing to keep in mind is this is their first full frame stacked BSI sensor. It might be 24MP for no reason other than this is a significant change to sensor design and manufacturing and it's probably not a wise thing to make a high MP full frame monster on a design and process that is new to them.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
They lost a crap load of users, me included. I've seen many famous photographers on social media switch to sony in the past few years. Many of my peers in the industry have left canon for sony. With the R5 everything has changed, but I'm not sure they have the funds to switch back to canon after investing heavily in sony. Me personally, I will be switching back to canon when the R1 arrives. I partially switched back when the R5 came out
Again, you seem to be under the illusion that the people you know and YouTube videos = a crap load of users. It Don't, Clem.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
The chart shows the FF mirrorless market share. Sony released the market's first FF MILC in 2013 (it's not a coincidence that came soon after Canon entered the APS-C MILC market, which Sony had dominated up to that point). If Sony sold even a single FF MILC in 2013, they'd have 100% market share. Same in 2014, and unless you count Leica (which no one does, their sales don't even make a blip on anyone's charts) it was the same in 2015 and 2016.

You're asking for 10 years of data, but don't you realize that 2020 was the first year that ILC makers produced more MILCs than DSLRs? In 2017, the year the chart to which you are referring starts, Sony had 100% of FF MILC sales, but MILCs as a whole comprised only 34% of ILCs shipped that year. And since FF models have consistently represented ~10-12% of the market for the past several years, 100% of the FF MILC market is ~4% of the total market in 2017. So what was everyone else buying? The pros and prosumers, like most consumers, were mostly buying DSLRs.

They lost a crap load of users, me included. I've seen many famous photographers on social media switch to sony in the past few years. Many of my peers in the industry have left canon for sony.
No matter how many times someone says the earth is flat, it will remain (roughly) spherical. Similarly, no matter how many times you claim a significant fraction of the industry left Canon for Sony, it won't become true. So far, your data are 1) very limited in scope (FF camera sales in one country for one year), 2) erroneously interpreted (the BCN FF MILC data where you switched Canon and Sony and drew the diametrically incorrect conclusion), and 3) irrelevant to your own main point (data on all MILCs when you have repeatedly stated you are referring to the professional or 'prosumer' market).

TL;DR: you don't represent the market, bud.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Not an illusion bud, come out from under your rock and look around once and a while :)
Did you look around at the Tokyo Olympics and notice that the majority of professional photographers were using Canon cameras? Or were you under your rock, still believing your opinions are the same as facts?

Upvote 0
Did you look around at the Tokyo Olympics and notice that the majority of professional photographers were using Canon cameras? Or were you under your rock, still believing your opinions are the same as facts?
Just wondering, do you work in the industry? Do you follow the industry? I shoot 60-65 weddings per year(in my free time - I'm a software engineer). I follow dozens of photographers, both local and world renowned. I don't know about sports photography, but I can tell you first hand that sony has been stealing users left and right from canon and nikon over the years in the wedding industry. I've noticed a shift back when the R5 came out

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Just wondering, do you work in the industry? Do you follow the industry? I shoot 60-65 weddings per year(in my free time - I'm a software engineer). I follow dozens of photographers, both local and world renowned. I don't know about sports photography, but I can tell you first hand that sony has been stealing users left and right from canon and nikon over the years in the wedding industry. I've noticed a shift back when the R5 came out www.instagram.com/samosphotography
I see. So now it's not 'the market', and it's not 'the professional market' or 'the prosumer market'. Now it's 'the wedding photographer market'.

What you really mean is the 'me and a few people I follow on the internet market'. I have no problem with you claiming that many people in that market have switched to Sony over the years. Nor is there any need for data to support that claim, since the claim itself is meaningless and irrelevant (except to you, of course). Thanks for finally admitting that, and also for confirming that you're not a professional photographer (according to the CPS definition).

Upvote 0
I see. So now it's not 'the market', and it's not 'the professional market' or 'the prosumer market'. Now it's 'the wedding photographer market'.

What you really mean is the 'me and a few people I follow on the internet market'. I have no problem with you claiming that many people in that market have switched to Sony over the years. Nor is there any need for data to support that claim, since the claim itself is meaningless and irrelevant (except to you, of course). Thanks for finally admitting that, and also for confirming that you're not a professional photographer (according to the CPS definition).
Dude do you actually do anything in the field except troll people on forums all day and maybe take pictures of your dog? I am providing first hand observations from someone deep in the professional photography community. Not sure how that isn't relevant? You seem to be just trolling again

Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Dude do you actually do anything in the field except troll people on forums all day and maybe take pictures of your dog? I am providing first hand observations from someone deep in the professional photography community. Not sure how that isn't relevant? You seem to be just trolling again
You, and the dozen people you know, are not relevant. Not. At. All. Part timer "deep in the professional photography community". Yeah, ok. While we all like to imagine we are relevant to the market, we ain't. Relevant to those closest to us, but not to the world.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019

Have you not embarrassed yourself enough already?

Upvote 0
You, and the dozen people you know, are not relevant. Not. At. All.
Do you know what statistical inference is? People use this all the time and it's actually quite accurate. Lets say I follow 500 people in the industry all around the world. If 50 of those people have converted to sony, there's a very good chance the percentage of people that have converted to sony globally is around 10%. If I only followed local photographers this would not be an accurate representation. I feel like I'm a elementary school teacher today

Upvote 0