Is the 7D MK II Really Selling Well?

Mar 25, 2011
I happened to check CPW today, and noticed that both body only 7D's as well as Kits are commonly on stock.

Sure, the big stores sell out, but only a few days after the cameras have started shipping, there appears to be no problem getting one from a Authorized Dealer without paying a inflated price.

Some have bought them on speculation, and are going to find there is no profit in selling them, unless, of course, they manage to convince someone that they are not available.

There is nothing wrong with the camera, but money is tight, and the camera is, imho, over priced. I expect that they will be a bit harder to find after Black Friday, but gray market camera will be flooding ebay by then.

Camera Canada sells them for $1698 USD right now, and two US Authorized dealers have them on stock.

http://www.canonpricewatch.com/product/05537/Canon-EOS-7D-Mark-II-price.html

Everyone has kits, and, again, you can save over $100 from Camera Canada

http://www.canonpricewatch.com/product/05571/Canon-EOS-7D-Mark-II-with-18-135mm-Kit-price.html

Mt Spokane Photography said:
I happened to check CPW today, and noticed that both body only 7D's as well as Kits are commonly on stock.

Sure, the big stores sell out, but only a few days after the cameras have started shipping, there appears to be no problem getting one from a Authorized Dealer without paying a inflated price.

Some have bought them on speculation, and are going to find there is no profit in selling them, unless, of course, they manage to convince someone that they are not available.

There is nothing wrong with the camera, but money is tight, and the camera is, imho, over priced. I expect that they will be a bit harder to find after Black Friday, but gray market camera will be flooding ebay by then.

Camera Canada sells them for $1698 USD right now, and two US Authorized dealers have them on stock.

http://www.canonpricewatch.com/product/05571/Canon-EOS-7D-Mark-II-with-18-135mm-Kit-price.html

I would have thought that the majority of people wanting this camera don't want kits, they'll have their lenses or want something different to go with it.

So, the fact that most of the major retailers are out of the body only sales suggests it's doing alright to me.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Most major retailers are sold out of body only units, so sales may be ok. However, it's never easy to tell, because it depends on how much inventory Canon built up prior to launch. For example, when the 1D X was launched, it seemed to take multiple allotments over a few weeks for major online retailers (B&H, Adorama) to fulfill all of their preorders ahd have ready stock available...but I bet Canon has already sold more 7DII's than all the 1D X units sold to date.

Upvote 0
Without actual sales numbers we're just guessing.

I tried to look at UK dealers, but most don't have real time stock info so it is hard to tell who has what.

Personally I will buy one, but I'm not buying right away. In the UK, generally new kit sells at MRP/RRP/whatever RP at launch, and drops gradually over time. We don't seem to get instant discounting like other countries. I might bite when it drops 10-20%.

Upvote 0

That is the full price in Canada. No rebate. In Canada the 7D mark II sell for 1899$ CAD with 1TB HD.

Same price for every certified retailers.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Currently number one on Amazon best sellers list. number eight with kit lens. People dispute the Amazon list but never cite any better list or have any valid reason for challenging it. So yes, it is selling very well now. The fact that dealers have it in stock simply means canon accurately projected demand and they have the infrastructure in place to meet the demand, unlike smaller companies like Tamron.

Upvote 0
Mar 27, 2014
So the suggestion of this thread is that the 7D Mark II may not sell well because retailers really do have them in stock?

Well at this point, a few days after the launch of the camera, I think it is not really possible to say if it sells good or not so good.

And the fact that in some palces it is also available to people who didn't made a preoder may just show that Canon is not Tamron.

Upvote 0
Personally I think it is doing well. B&H and Amazon are out of stock (but that status seems to come and go).

I purchased a kit to play with and sell locally for cash. If it sells, I'll decide if it's worth it to get another one for myself or wait. And if it doesn't sell, I guess I have one for myself. Either way I'm sort of a winner because the camera is pretty nice. ;) But I agree with those who think it's a bit overpriced. Then again, I always think that so there you go! At least the 7D2 delivers a very solid and robust built camera device with some unique features and great performance.

So for any of you who can't get a 7D2 or if you're in my local area and want to save the tax, be assured that the camera works perfectly and want to get it today, here's a link to my sales listing on CR.
http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=23534.0

Rusty

Upvote 0
In Quebec (Canada) I haven't seen any store that actually has any and they're filling the next pre-orders for november 15th shipment right now so impossible to get one in store for a while it seems (if you didn't pre-order). Best buy canada does not have the camera at all (not sure if they'll ever have it).

Kind of sucks :(

Upvote 0
Oct 18, 2011
unfocused said:
Currently number one on Amazon best sellers list. number eight with kit lens. People dispute the Amazon list but never cite any better list or have any valid reason for challenging it. So yes, it is selling very well now. The fact that dealers have it in stock simply means canon accurately projected demand and they have the infrastructure in place to meet the demand, unlike smaller companies like Tamron.
Well, consider what the Amazon best-sellers list is really tracking. When was the last DSLR released before this? The D750 or A77II are probably the closest...one being 2 months ago, the other being 4ish months ago. So, you'd hope a brand new camera would outsell ones that is a few months old. I'd actually be surprised if it or the D750 are still that high on the list come a month from now, since the bulk of camera sales are the XXXD and XXXXD cameras for Canon.

When the Canon winter rebates come out, that'll tell you how well the camera is selling.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
My point is that the 7D was difficult to find in stock for months. Same with the 5D MK III. The 7D can be picked up in most cities, and its just a few days after it was released.

This is why I question how well they are actually selling.

Of course, there were a lot of pre-orders, and unfortunately, some buyers freak out and order one from several stores, then they pickup just one, so after no one follows thru, the extras are for sale. It is indeed difficult to know how sales after the pre-orders are holding up, but the general availability probably means that Canon made a large number in advance. Best Buy is usually 1-2 months late in receiving them, so them having them in stock already suggests a really big initial supply.

As far as kit sales, Canon always seems to produce too many kits. Kits can be a good deal if something like the 24-105mmL is included, or even the 24-70mm f/4L. You can often resell the good kit lenses for a small profit.

I haven't bought a new camera with kit lens now since I bought a 40D, a long time ago. The 28-135mm lens tacked on about $100, and could be quickly sold for twice that.

I suspect that dealers who have kits will be thrilled to sell just the camera if you ask them. They will sell the lens for a additional markup and come out on the deal.

Upvote 0
Oct 18, 2011
My point is that the 7D was difficult to find in stock for months. Same with the 5D MK III. The 7D can be picked up in most cities, and its just a few days after it was released.

This is why I question how well they are actually selling.
Yeah...it could certainly be that its not selling well. Could also be that Canon decided to delay release so they had plenty of stock. People going to buy a camera and finding it out of stock can be lost sales.

Upvote 0